Item Posts    Sort Order

a/c and heat slow air flow fan speed

docpry
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/23/14 05:40 PM

My '98 C5 vette coupe, 6 speed stick, has poor air flow out of the inside cabin vents, unless at high fan switch speed.  Could there be debris somewhere blocking the air flow from the fan, or whatever??  Advice please.  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/23/14 09:54 PM

hmm...

Corvettehvac97 02 Zpsbbd08ddf

first... lets go thru the various settings..

set the system to defrost. change the temp control from cold to hot.. does it vary in temp..  yes or no..

change the speed.. does it change the  airflow..  yes or no

now.. change the mode from defrost to face to floor... does it change just slightly slower than you can control it..  yes or no..

looking at the image above..

#2 controls the flow to the defroster opening.

#3 controls the inlet air.. either from the cowl for fresh air or recirculated air where it pulls it from a grill down above the passenger side feet..

#43  actuator, mode valve.  this changes from the face to the floor openings..

#44  acutator, temp valve..  this changes the temp door from the hot air off the heater core or from the cold evaporator core..

also... which system do you have.. the CJ2 fully automatic climate control. or the C60 manual climate control with 3 knobs??? it makes a difference in how the fan is controlled..

the CJ2 automatic climate control has a circuit board that varies the power to the blower motor..

the C60 system has a blower resistor as far as i know.. individual resistors in the airflow from the heater fan. but on the cold side of the evaporator box.. .. usually under the hood but could be elsewhere.

there are a bunch of things depending on your answers to the above..  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/23/14 11:08 PM

oh.. and i looked in an air filter catalog..  corvette did not get the cabin air filters until 2005.  that does not mean that the evaporator core or the heater core are blocked by debris.. either fallen on the windshield and pulled in thru the cowl vents.. or introduced by wildlife..  that has happened quite a few times on various cars.. mice are very very strong and can build significant piles of debris..  

docpry
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/25/14 04:21 PM

thanks so much for taking the time to give this response!  I will check it out from here. Grin  

TO TOP