Item Posts    Sort Order

Correct Terminology in Your Articles

Pumbajr
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/18/14 11:20 AM

Steven Rupp,
I have just finished reading your article Braking Badder in the March 2015 issue of VETTE magazine.  

I am an OEM automotive engineer, and I would like to point out some incorrect terminology that you used in your article:

1) C5, C6, and C7 Corvettes do not have Spindles or Uprights
.  The automotive industry term to describe these parts is Knuckle, Steering Knuckle, or Suspension Knuckle.
2)  The correct terminology to describe torque values is lb-ft or lb-inches.  The use of ft-lb or in-lb is incorrect.

Also, in future articles where you report engine horsepower and/or torque values please ensure that the organization giving you the data has corrected the gross numbers to SAE J1349 standards, and not to a correction factor termed STP.  The correction factors used by Engine and Chassis Dynamometer manufacturers known as STP has not been used by the world-wide automotive industry since 1979.  Chassis or engine dynamometer output corrected to STP CANNOT be compared to the OEM manufacturer's horsepower and torque numbers.  STP results grossly overstate the actual engine output.

Thank you for your consideration.

JR  

TO TOP