Item Posts    Sort Order

C7 Styling: Why the supercar look

C4 to C5 Owner
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/05/14 07:24 AM

Regarding the continuing controversy about C7 styling, I’ve had a long and personal interest in the subject.  My first car was a 1939 Chevrolet coupe, followed by a 1940 Ford coupe, a 1953 Studebaker coupe, a 1958 Ford Fairlane hardtop, a 1958 Thunderbird, a 67 390 Mustang GTA, an Afla Romero coupe, a 1970 Jaguar XKE, a 1968 Jensen Interceptor, an 1982 Pontiac Trans Am, a 1985 Pontiac Trans Am, and my current 1990 Corvette C4/C5.  My last three cars feature pop-up headlights and I favor them for their lower front end styling.  This has a lot to do with why I consider the C5 styling the ultimate achievement by Corvette.  The C6 that followed moved in a rakish direction while discarding the pop-up headlights.  This represented a departure from contemporary styling and provided the base for the current C7 and its supercar pretensions.   While I personally prefer mid-engine supercars, I believe Corvette is moving in the right direction in hope of bring in the next generation of buyers.  The price is right, however, insurance rates may be prohibitive for younger buyers who might have to settle for a pony car or a sport coupe from Asia.  
Help it's falling apart faster than I can fix it.