Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1996 vette

loups
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/06/13 09:27 PM

hey guys,   i need your help.  my 96 c4 starts right up, runs great, but it wont shut off.   i turn off the ignition, pull the keys, and it keeps running for 20-30 seconds (not desiling, running).   i replaced the starter, battery and ignition modular on steering colume.    i checked the wires going to the coil.   any help?  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/07/13 06:57 AM

that's STRANGE...

has this car ever lived in a COLD winter area.. where somebody might have installed a remote starter device?????

i don't know if there was an RPO option for a factory remote start on these.

is there an aftermarket car alarm...

get out either a circuit tester or digital volt meter.. lets start checking at the fuses to see if the ignition switch is actually functioning properly...

see the fuses listed... probe each fuse to verify the ignition is properly sending power and also shutting off power to each of the fuses as you turn the key off..

0900C1528008fd9e

0900C1528008fd9f  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/07/13 07:23 AM

this is what the side of your 96 ignition switch should look like.. its going to be hard to get at this... as you know.... so opening each of the images above in a new window and printing them will let you check that the power is going on and off properly...

Ls309ignitionswitchpinout

this is what the inside of that ignition switch looks like when its worn for years..

Ignitionswitchwornoutcontact

i have found so many ignition switches and pigtails melted...

that might be your issue..

Wells263 Pico5659 Gmignitionswitchpigtail Zps3e25b7b8  

loups
Posted: 09/07/13 09:28 AM

thats the switch i replaced   i didnt see any melted wires   i dont know if it had a alarm or remote starter.   i dont know if it might be the passive key system acting up.    i will check voltage    thanks guys  

loups
Posted: 09/07/13 09:32 AM

i should mention that when i turn off ignition the ac, radio, and everything shuts off fine  

loups
Posted: 09/07/13 09:40 AM

i live in ca. it didnt do it in winter. it started doing it when was hot, now it is doing it all the time.   maybe just a coincidence.  

loups
Posted: 09/07/13 10:53 AM

ok, so i have 12.3 volts on one side of the coil fuse when i turn on the ignition,    im gonna try pulling the fuse when it is doing it and see what happens  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/07/13 11:11 AM

thats strange..

but ... there is on OBD2 cars . something called a residual power relay.. it is controlled usually by the BCM or CCM...  and keeps the radio and some of the other devices active until you open the door.. or it times out after 6 minutes..

you could have an issue or a cross connect with that..

please print the diagrams above. make a list of the various fuses you see to test...

turn the key on and off.. to see what the power is doing to each of the fuses..

does this car have a FACTORY INSTALLED car stereo??? or an aftermarket unit...???

any additional stuff that was installed/???

live near los angeles???

do you have hand tools.. small metric stuff to get into the various panels around.. 7, 8, 10MM  sockets and nut drivers..  some torx...

AZ Tamperprooftorxtoolsku12710 Zpsc1647dd2

digital volt meter?????

got a harbor freight nearby... with CASH.. not a card..hf had card issues that probably have been fixed..  stop in and pick up a 37772. its 20 bucks...

you might also want a amp display circuit tester...

there are 2 different versions of these... one for the tiny fuses.. one for the regular sized ATO fuses..

Image 14147

this allows you to monitor fused circuits for amp loads...  under 15 bucks..

inserts right into the fuse box.. move the removed fuse into the side of the connector to maintain proper circuit protection..

operating the devices seems to me to indicate that there is a crossed connection someplace.. where to find it.????

need to identify exactly which circuits cause it to misfunction...

since a LOT of the fuel injection and engine controls are powered by the IGN 1 terminal on the ignition switch.. this might be a little harder...  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/07/13 11:32 AM

the AC comes off I3 terminal on the ignition switch...

the radio comes off the A terminal on the ignition switch

stick a test light onto the IGN coil fuse.. work the ignition switch from OFF to ON .. then to cranking.. them back to OFF...

does the light turn off???

did your test indicate that you are getting power to one side of the coil fuse HOLDER terminals with the fuse REMOVED.. and the ignition OFF????

that would be an issue..

from IGN 1.... to coil fuse..

coils......... from coil fuse..

if something somewhere is supplying power to the IGN 1 side of the circuit via one of the other circuits controlled by the IGN 1 terminal on the switch..

that would for sure prevent your car from shutting off..

perhaps you are on the right track...

but i think monitoring each fuse and each fuse holder terminal...

the issue thats going to confuse and complicate is its an intermittent.  

loups
Posted: 09/07/13 11:48 AM

i will try that.    no the one side didnt have power untill i turned on the ignition, but like you say, it might be doing only when it has been running.    i will buy one of those circuit testers that plug in the fusebox.   that will tell me alot  

loups
Posted: 09/09/13 09:41 PM

i bought the circuit tester today, but of course it didnt do it.   will keep trying.   thanks for your help.  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/10/13 12:27 AM

note that one the relays is called the delayed accessory buss relay..

96 C4 Delayed Accesoryrelay Zpsaaae459e

i don't have enough diagrams for the entire car..  most of what i have is engine controls.. as that is my specialty..

i don't know what it operates...  

loups
Posted: 09/10/13 09:40 PM

i forgot you asked if i was by la.    im in rancho cucamunga.   where is your shop?  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 09/10/13 10:29 PM

almost 50 miles west of you...

no shop currently... thats why i have so much time to spend on here..

near famous sign on hilltop

say.. why not drop down a few miles to riverside..
faxon auto liturature
3901 Carter Ave  Riverside, CA 92501

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?c=123973

there is a 34 buck version also but i have never heard of the it being an early release..

it might have slightly different info.. might be worth the 34 bucks.. you might be close enough to lay your hands on both to examine them...  

loups
Posted: 09/12/13 09:28 PM

so,   i ran two wires from the coil fuse to a switch that i can reach.   it took a few days for it to keep running, but it did it tonight.   i turned the switch off and the car stopped.   so like you told me, something must be bleeding on to the ignition switch.    im ok with having that switch.  it can be used as a theft cutoff.   thanks for your help.  

TO TOP