Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

c3 L82 engine

giamuse
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/16/13 05:56 AM

In my 1975 vette, I want to rebuild the engine, make it a monster.  Is there a good reason to keep the original engine and build a separate one, or rebuild the original 350 into a beast?  Does it affect value that much in that vintage?  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/16/13 06:59 AM

probably not...  

it is always nice to have a complete L82 motor sitting under the work bench ready to drop in...

since hopping up the L82 involves replacing almost everything except the block...

you are probably better off with building a completely different block..

with the C3.. you only have a restriction with the height of the carb mounting on the intake if you have a stock hood..

what you build also depends on where you live and if you have to pass emissions testing.. or plan on selling it.. having the original motor carefully stored...  preserved with some oil on top of the pistons..  and the fuel bowl completely drained if the carb is left on..

the day before you take it out... i would do one thing...  and this is just me..  i would get it nice and hot after a drive...   with a dish soap bottle.. washed out and refilled with clean water.. i would pull the air cleaner lid...   with one hand.. take the RPMs up to 2500/3000... let it run there for 30 seconds or a minute...   start trickling water into the carb throat.. you will have to increase the throttle opening and i don't want so much that you hydraulic the motor..  or stall it..   just enough that the water turns to steam inside the combustion chamber.. this blows the carbon off the piston tops and the combustion chambers...  i then drive it one more day..

when you store it.. you will want to remove the spark plugs.. put a single squirt from an oil can into each cylinder... if you have the engine sitting on a stand.. you will want to have each bank straight up when you do this.. so the oil gets around each piston all the way...rotate the crank once this coats the cylinder walls completely... do both sides and then put the plugs back in tight to keep moisture out.. a kitchen sponge shoved up the exhaust  manifold openings.. something to keep the moisture out of the intake or carb..  

giamuse
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/16/13 07:43 AM

Thanks so much.  Great tips.  

TO TOP