Item Posts    Sort Order

1965 Corvette coupe-365/4sp. machined holes in frame-

arttrey
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/19/13 09:30 AM

When we removed frame and cleaned have found hundreds of small machined or punched holes in the mid and front sections of the frame. Appears someone spent a lot of time and money doing this. Would appreciate any insight you can offer about this.  Have some question on integrity of frame but I think it is fine and have been in car. Real question is can we track down why and when and how does this hurt resale if we put back in car. Without some history I think it hurts resale significantly. This would mean installing new or used frame and then saving the original with holes. Appreciate feedback. Can was late build in 65 and sold in New Orleans. Missing history for about 9 years in the 70's. Thanks/arttrey

Have photos of before and after cleaning.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/19/13 12:03 PM

can you upload some of your images to image hosting sites like photobucket and paste the IMG links here for us to see...

or is this your frame...

IMG 1345 Zps760c1950  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 02/19/13 12:23 PM

lets see what some of the forum members think..

that reminds me of a gill net boat i saw in a storage lot on day... a friend bought it from the original owner.. he had left it for a season in the storage yard... the cover blew off and the boat filled with rain water above the engines... oops.. instead of tossing a hose over the side and starting a siphon. or even using a pump as it was about 3 feet off the parking lot on tree sections.. he got out the air compressor and an air drill and drilled probably 2000 3/8 holes through the double bottom in that 2 year old boat..

with that many holes... i wonder if it would whistle at high speeds...  

arttrey
Posted: 02/19/13 07:27 PM

this is the 65 frame as removed from the body  

Bobs427
Posted: 02/19/13 10:31 PM

We did this back in the day to lighten the frames. As you know you didn't find them until you removed the body. You can imagine how long it took someone to do that. The template that was made, and sitting there drilling holes.
  Back in the day they could check if you acid dipped the frame. They would do a sonic check. As you can see this guy did a lot of work for maybe a 1/2 lb of material...LOL...What we do for going faster.

If you are not restoring it or if you can I would just weld 1/8th steel plates all along the frame. I'm not a body man, can you fill them with an epoxy filler?

Bob  Aka-pepsi1  

Bobs427
Posted: 02/21/13 03:26 PM

Wayne:
You think they would whistle. But if this had side pipes it wouldn't matter...LOL...

Like I said we did things like this to gain a little more ET or MPH. I remember a friends older brother paid us $2.00 each to drill holes on the top of the 57 Frame they had. They ran a Gasser back in the day.

Bob  Aka-pepsi1  

TO TOP