Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1984 Windshield Wiper Switch

Lokken99
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/13/13 06:59 PM

I recently bought my first Corvette and have a issue with the windshield wipers. It's not that they don't work, they don't turn off. Would replacing the switch fix this or is it something else? I was also wondering what are some good resources for parts or helping with repairs? I've noticed the wind shield wiper switch is discontinued but maybe I haven't looked in the right spot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 01/13/13 07:24 PM

first thing i would try it to examine the black box on the front of the wiper motor... where the wires plug in the end...

i had a slightly different  S10 wiper motor that the delay board had bad solder joints on it..   a few minutes with my soldering iron and it worked again...

there is a chance the wiper switch is bad...   it does happen..

i will look around. and see if it's still available from some sources.

can you list the parts store chains you normally deal with...  since you could be anywhere in the world..

i am taking that the wiper switch is on the turn signal lever.. and that you rotate the sleeve to turn it on...

more to come... stay tuned...  

Lokken99
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/13/13 08:01 PM

The switch is on the drivers door. And I'm in North Carolina. I found that Auto Zone sold the switch but it's no longer in stock. The only promising result for the switch is buying a used one off ebay. So far sites that I've looked at is corvettecentral.com and ecklerscorvette.com.  

waynep71222
Posted: 01/13/13 08:20 PM

hmm... i did find something interesting..

wiper motor park switches are available...   this could keep it running...

HMM.. i don't know if this fits the delay wiper motors or the normal wiper motors..

sales_drawings/SW5297.PDF

you can see the park switch in this image..

Wipermotorparkswitch 84 C4

on the DOOR....  really .???  it never rains much in la.. and i have not driven an 84 in the rain... so i had no clue..

still looking...

10045832 * SWITCH, WSW (1984-89) (ACDelco #D6371A)  

waynep71222
Posted: 01/13/13 09:07 PM

ok... now i recall....

D6371a

let me describe the wiring...

on the SWITCH... 5 wires... B, C, D, E, ***

pin B is a white wire.. power from the wiper fuse.. hot in accy or run...
pin E is an orange wire to motor Pin B this seems to be the LOW wire.
Pin D is a GREY wire to PIN C on the wiper motor....  this might be power to the park switch..
Pin C is a purple wire to pin A on the wiper motor... this seems to be the HIGH speed wire..
Pin F is a brown wire to PIN A on the wiper motor circuit board.. this is the variable voltage to the circuit board to control the delay...

on the wiper motor... 5 terminals...  1, 2, 3, 4, 5,    
on the circuit board.. 6, 7, 8

pin 1 and pin 4 have a grey jumper hooking them together

pin 2 is hooked to the orange wire

pin 3 is hooked to the grey wire from pin d on the switch..

pin 4.. is again jumped to pin 1..

pin 5 is a purple wire from pin C on the switch and is HIGH speed...

on the circuit bard..

pin 6 is the brown wire from the switch pin *** and is the delay control circuit..

pin 7 is a PINK wire to the washer pump...

pin 8 is a black wire to Ground...

i would probably want to depin the brown wire from the 3 pin connector from the wiper circuit board connector..  see if the wipers stop...

next i would Depin the jumper from pin 1 to 4 to see if the wipers stop...

i am almost sure that the wiper circuit board comes off really easily..   you will want to check it for bad solder joints...

this is a honda relay... but you can see what i am talking about..

Hondamainrelaycircuitboard  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/16/13 01:20 AM

Wayne and his schematics. How great is that?

There are 2 things that keep them from shutting off, the PC board, or the controller itself. Don't be surprised if you have to replace them both. Just the experience I've seen at the dealers. Sometime the park mechanism breaks also. But that would be because someone was there before you.

Bob  

TO TOP