Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

VAT KEYS

KENTSCAR
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/29/12 06:40 PM

IS THERE A WAY TO DETERMINE WHAT NUMBER VAT KEY YOU NEED WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A VAT KEY WITH THE CAR???? I BOUGHT A USED 1993 STD COUPE WITH PLAIN KEYS. I HAVE SENSE DISCOVERED THAT THE VAT SYSTEM HAS A 4.7 OHM RESISTOR PLUGED INTO THE VAT WIRE CONNECTOR. NEED HELP.....  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 10/29/12 09:08 PM

NOT easily...

when you have a 4.7 ohm resistor.. a locksmith or key cutter can take that resistance value to one of the 15 possible resistance values..

i would mention that you will want to VERIFY the lock cylinder and its VATS wiring is working properly...   a blank or any key inserted into the ignition lock cylinder will show if the wires are intact.. a working resistor key would actually work better.. with the OHM meter hooked to the end of the harness to verify the resistance does not change while wiggling the key..

this is one of the Vats lock cylinders...

Vatslockcylinder

there is a HUGE secret... to save TIME...  when the lock cylinder or the wiring has failed..

take the ORIGINAL Vats key.. or the resistance value for the key with you... buy a new lock cylinder as shown above... it comes with plain keys...  take the new keys and your resistance value to the lock shop.. have them figure out which blank to use.. have them cut the NEW key pattern into the VATS BLANK that matches the old resistance...

this should get the car to start as soon as you replace the ignition lock cylinder..

at 4.7K its probably a #11 blank..  single sided..    4,700 ohms..

i actually use 10 turn trimmer pots from radio shack and a european style terminal block with wires attached to the first and second.. OR .. second and third..   NOT THE FIRST AND THIRD... you can used a tiny screw driver to adjust the resistance to match the key pellet..

snipping the orange harness under the dash and using the european style terminal block and trimmer into the chassis side of the cut orange harness...  

please don't cut the YELLOW harness.. its for the air bag.. it might take your head off when it goes bang...  

TO TOP