Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Power steering hard at idle

Elregioman
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/05/12 12:40 PM

Ok I hit a brick wall on this issue, so I'm searching for an expert point of view, I got a 2002 corvette base model with a steering assist problem. Owner states that steering wheel feels hard to steer after he took it to the Chevrolet dealer for a diagnostic that end up been a bad battery issue. He replace the battery with a new one. And his steering effort it's more than before. He took it back to Chevrolet and had them check it, there anwer was we can find any problems with the steering system, he say they even flush the system but that didn't help. So he took it to us and I had check this so far.
Steering effor assist solenoid reads good on the scanner,dead on, electrically everything looks good at least.
No fluid leaks all dough pressure hose looks a little wet.
Ball joints, tie rods , control arms, wheel bearings ok
I connected a power steering pressure tester and acording to diagnostic procedure on all data the pressure at idle it's to high, sit reads 495 psi but they say if the reading it's more than 230 psi there is a restriction in the system. But how do I test for a restriction on a steering gear or a pressure hose or a return hose or even at the pump it self.
The steering feels normal while driving
At idle or slow speeds the steering wheel gets hard.
Need help.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 12/05/12 06:12 PM

lets start with this while i do research...  as i usually don't deal with PS issues...

i do engine drivability and electrical issues..

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0602htp_ls1_fbody_turn_one_power_steering_pump_install/viewall.html

looking over at the parts listings at gmpartsgiant... i see that car has a power steering cooler..

can you get under the car and examine it for ROCK, Road, and FLOOR JACK damage...  even tow truck hook damage... you will need to examine the tubing for crushed areas..

do you have any way to take a sample of the power steering fluid... because the fluid breaks down eventually.. i usually recommend that the power steering fluid gets changed...

i don't have a fancy fluid exchanger... i do have a pile of 99 cent store turkey basters still in the packages...  i extract as much PS fluid as i can... i replace it with fresh...  start the engine.. crank the wheel back and forth. with the wide tires on corvettes... i usually have it sitting on my wheel alignment turn tables.. big lazy susans from the home center will also work..  Go jacks also.. if you can latch the lever down...  or.. a pair of sheet metal squares under each wheel. with grease between the sheets and the parking brake set hard..  so the front does not slide to the side...

once i have worked it for 20 or 30 seconds...i shut down.. extract what i can again ... replace .. fire it up and work the wheel from lock to lock again for 30 seconds...

in most systems.. i keep going until i have replaced about 2 quarts of power steering fluid...

this is just me.. i have when i worked in a full time shop with other techs. pulled the return hose to the pump..   plugged the one into the pump.. the return hose is then extended or inserted into a 3 liter or 1 gallon bottle.. this takes 3 techs unless you can figure a way to hold and observe the catch bottle...  one tech operates the ignition and spinning the  steering wheel from lock to lock as fast as possible.. .. another tech pours the fluid in.... another tech handles the fire hose spray from the return line into the bottle..    NEVER LETTING THE PUMP RUN DRY... shutting off when out of fluid.. this i usually run 3 or 4 quarts through the system.. i usually use a transmission funnel with the narrow end cut off... one tech showed me his.. that had the narrow piece glued in upside down inside the funnel to let trapped air out...  less gurgling.   that version worked great.. but once in a while it spit on the car next to it.. so beware..  a real hail mary glob of ps fluid..

are you aware that there is a tiny filter in the middle of the pressure control piston???
when you take out the BIG nut where the pressure line screws in...  there is a piston and a spring.. that piston has a small threaded hex cap on it.. in the middle of that is the filter..
changes in the amount of washers under the little hex cap on the end of the piston changes the MAX pressure of the pump somehow that i have not studied..

i hope all this gibberish helps..

i have another test for you i would like you to learn to run.. takes only a few minutes on each car...     check the next answer on this thread...

wayne...  

waynep71222
Posted: 12/05/12 06:20 PM

please print this test.. when you have electrical issues..

you will want to start to run this on each car that comes in.. and again before it leaves...

C5 models also have issues with the contacts inside the ignition switch needing to be cleaned or the ignition switch replaced..    it has driven some C5 owners up the wall and emptied their wallets..  there is a thread on it either here or over at the corvette fever forums that are still on this site...

the bottom of this is the first test that should be run...   this will find issues that can cause a tech to spend HOURS on other circuits...  save time.. spend the 2 minutes to run this...

VOLTAGE Drop Testing  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/05/12 09:25 PM

Do you live where it gets cold? My 2006 Impala as soon as the weather turns cold its harder to steer. They use to call it morning sickness the rack didn't wake up. I went up 2 psi in all the tires and it got better.(Just forget my the front wheel drive for now) I'm only suggesting something thats all.
  For the Heck of it try tire pressure settings. Those big tires have a lot of contact area.(I've got big tires on my car also). Its like you said if your tests are okay then they are okay.

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/05/12 09:27 PM

Do you live were its cold? Try going up a couple psi in tire pressure. I'm making this short it's not taking my post.

Bob  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/05/12 09:29 PM

It took it that time. Big tires have a lot of contact area. My 2006 Impala does this too. I have big tires on it also. What the heck give it a try.

Bob  

waynep71222
Posted: 12/06/12 01:17 PM

check the BELT tension for proper tension on the belt...

i had another tech just tell me of a GM truck that would over heat at idle... and had stiff power steering at low speed..  no body could fix it.. so they ask him to look at it...

he reached in and grabbed the fan belt...   he did not think the belt tensioner was applying the proper pressure to the belt..

replaced it.. overheating issue vanished.. it was a belt driven radiator fan... and the power steering stiffness in the mornings was gone...

who knows... i have replaced a bunch of bad tensioner's  

TO TOP