Item Posts    Sort Order

c5 corvette

jacq
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 07/01/12 08:40 AM

my car starts after several tries what is causing it so long to start?  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 07/01/12 12:51 PM

there are a WHOLE bunch of things that will do that..

first... you may want to disconnect the battery cable... (1).. either one..

stick your ignition key in the ignition lock...     work the ignition from off to crank, back to off and then up to crank 50 to 100 times...

there have been issues with the build up of carbon on the ignition switch contacts..   these are NOT wiping contacts...   they are held out by a rotating spool with raised area where they want the individual contact to be held open.. as the spool turns the contacts  close with the spring forcing them closed...   the contacts have silver faces...   tarnish and carbon can build up and prevent proper contact...

the battery disconnected  working the switch many many times allows the contact faces to hammer against each other and sometimes wear through the film on the surface..

this is what the inside of the switch looks like on a different model GM...

Gmmusicboxignitionswitchspool

your switch has a different way to connect the wires.. and a different shape.. but the insides work exactly the same..  like a music box...

Chevyignitionswitchtornapart  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 07/01/12 12:57 PM

since you did not post your exact year of  C5.. its hard to find if there are different switches...

clogged fuel filters..  

worn out electric fuel pumps..

3 wire oil pressure switches that have the fuel pump power circuit worn out.. and the fuel pump relay has taken all the load and failed..

when you turn the key on..   do you hear the fuel pumps run for 2 seconds... then shut off... then turn back on as you crank the engine..

the oil pressure switch is way up on the back of the motor...

LS OIL Pressure Sender  

TO TOP