Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Hot Issue, Burning thru Plug Wires @ Alarming Rate

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/09/12 09:56 AM

I may already have the solution, albiet the money to replace them at this time, are my header's. I have a pair of Sanderson Header's, shorty's, on my 1987 Corvette. These Shorty Header's have served me well the past 6 yrs. on the original L98 motor without any issue's at all. Since the block cracked & I now have a new block with all new parts including 10.5:1 Flat Top Racing Pistons, 1.6 Stainless Roller Rocker's & a hefty Comp Cam (Summit Racing Part #CCA-12-239-3). Here is the problem, & I have been wrapping all my wires that are located near any header or other "hot" related items such as the EGR Cross Over Tube with "Cool Tape" insulating tape that says it is good up to 1500 degrees. I just replaced all of the plug wires again 2 days ago & drove the car the 1st time yesterday to work, no problems. Coming home however, & let me say here I ran out of cool tape, I burnt thru 3 of the plug wires driving home. Which was not cool as they were shorting against the header's. My solution is to replace these shorty header's with FULL LENGTH Header's. Does anyone have another solution that won't hit my depleted pocketbook so hard? I am on a limited budget, unfortunately.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 07/09/12 11:13 AM

they sell high temp boot sleeves for the spark plug boots...

MSD/6 ft. Pro-Boot Guard spark plug wire sleeve Part Number: 3412

~~~~~~~~

Thermo Tec/2 pcs. 6 x 1 1/2 in. silver spark plug wire heat shield
Part Number: 14200

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this is what i use not only on some spark plug wires.. but also on battery cables where they pass close to the exhaust...  i had gotten some years ago at a surplus store.. it was NOT cheep.. but i think i am down to only a few inches

Mallory/5 ft. firesleeve protective sleeving
AZ Price: $112.99
Part Number: 29082

this should be available at most aircraft supply stores..   there used to be a great one up near you in the bay area.. saw it one time on myth busters a long time ago..
grainger probably also sells it..

any headers are going to give you issues...

there is another way around it.. and its a UGLY twist..
in the plumbing section at the hardware store there are things called NO-HUB couplings.. they come in 1 1/2 to 4 inch for joining Cast iron sewer pipe.. this can be wrapped around a section of primary pipe with a few well places sections of 3/16 welding rod to space it out slightly..  this will give you a little less room.. but will put a stainless steel shield between your spark plug boots and the header pipe....

are you monitoring the air fuel ratio.. i know you swapped injectors and changed the fuel pressure regulator...  perhaps the air fuel ratio is off and the exhaust is running extra hot...

somebody really should come out with a double layer heat shield that is hose clamped into place using the slightly modified hose clamps like are used for fuel injection hose with the rolled edges.. so it does not scratch the header finish.. some hose clamps are also available with bellville springs under the head to allow for thermal expansion and contraction from the installed pressure..  

waynep71222
Posted: 07/09/12 11:16 AM

missed some.. there are other sleeves... this one is NEAT..

Thermo Tec/2 pcs. silver Thermo Flex Plug Wire Heat Shield
Part Number: 14300  

waynep71222
Posted: 07/09/12 11:27 AM

at summit or jegs

search for fire sleeve..  i saw some from DEI that was slightly less than the mallory product..  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/11/12 09:30 AM

Thanks, I have looked up these boot sleeves also, shocked at some of the prices. The Thermo Tec ones, Part # 14200 you picture doesn't cover the part of the boot that needs protecting the most. Which is at the 90 degree bend & closest to the header where there is like 1/4 inch clearance, max! I am going to get a set for now. Looking at & having seen the long tube header's on other C4's I see much more space between the plugs & the header itself. In theory I sumise this means more cooler "air" in-between the spark plug, wire/boot & the header itself. Did so on all of my other cars. I am curious however at the Autolite Spark Plug Wire Sets, especially on their Pro Series why the boot is so much bigger- I should say fatter in diameter, and longer in length than any other plug wire sets out there. When I use Autolite vs any other brand, even without the Heat Shield Tape, they have not been burned thru as the Accel sets or any other brand I have used. They also are straight rather than 90 degree, which seems to work best on the middle 2 plugs on either side of the motor. While the 90 degree wires work best on the outside 2 plugs on either side.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep71222
Posted: 07/11/12 09:40 AM

i don't know why.. or where i saw them...   probably on a chevy Van.. but i seem to recall and i am probably wrong.. that the factory GM spark plug boots had a steel heat shield right on the 90 degree boot..

i do recall that some GM cars with straight boots had heat shields on the boot..  

waynep71222
Posted: 07/11/12 09:53 AM

i was right..

Orly Ct558

at oreilly and other stores who sell Borg warner ignition replacement parts..
BWD - Heat Shield Part # CT558

there is also a Taylor 2571 Heat Shield For 135 Deg Boot 2/Pkg

Taylor 2570 Heat Shield For 90 Deg Boot 2/Pkg  same as the CT558

Taylor 2572 Heat Shield For 180 Deg Short Boot 2/Pkg  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/12/12 08:38 AM

Just looked up the CT558's and I must agree they are great but are they any better than the fiberglass boot sleeves/guard that slide on or are shrink wrapped? When compareing pricing only & w/S&H they are within $10 of cost of the 2 types. Not having used either in the past it seems that they are re-usable not just a 1 time use & throw aways~ w/ the exclusion of the shrink wrapped ones. The CT558's are not stocked at the local store so must be shipped & would you believe O'Reilly wants to charge $28.17 for 2 day & $64.02 for 1 day? For a $5.69 part! Cost for 8 is $45.52 so S&H is a greater cost than the item being bought. But then again, replacing plug wires everytime 1 turns around adds up to even a greater cost in the long run.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep71222
Posted: 07/12/12 01:45 PM

conventional parts stores sell BWD parts...

they also sell Taylor cables. #2570..

you could probably get them from summit cheeper.

i was just trying to keep them close..

call these guys.. they might have a store near you..  if you run out of other options..

Monument Car Parts  
1965 San Ramon Valley Boulevard, San Ramon,
(925) 838-9003 ?  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/14/12 08:56 AM

Wednesday I went to Gotelli Speed Shop here and got a couple of "Boots" to cover the plug wires. They are a great local store with rich history. I have been a customer since the mid 80's.  http://www.gotellispeedshop.com/  
Gregorio Lonewolf

TO TOP