Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Which to install LS1 or LS3 in 1972 vette?

turnermike
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/21/11 09:00 AM

I owned my 1972 since 1975 and drive is very often.  It is lifelong work in progress.
My goal is to  have a fairly economical and reliable daily driver. I am looking at either a new LS1 or LS3 crate motor with a Tremec 5 or 6 speed transmission.
What is your opinion?
thanks  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/29/12 11:43 AM

Icon Quoteturnermike:
I owned my 1972 since 1975 and drive is very often.  It is lifelong work in progress.
My goal is to  have a fairly economical and reliable daily driver. I am looking at either a new LS1 or LS3 crate motor with a Tremec 5 or 6 speed transmission.
What is your opinion?
thanks

Looks like I am the first to reply with my 2 cents worth. You don't say what is currently in your Vette, which motor & transmission or suspension so with that... Being old school & a muscle car kinda guy I would go with the LS3 & 6 speed tranny. Of course now you have a smog legal engine, which at least in California, a vehicle that is 1974 or older does not require smog. That being said you would also need to purchase the LS376/480 Controller Kit for another $1000 if you are going smog legal. Another option would be a small block Crate Motor Carb setup of which many combinations are available. Summit Racing has many to choose from. I lean towards the BluePrint Engines part # MLL-BP38313CTC1 (carb) or the MLL-BP38331CTF1 (fuel injection). Both are in the same HP range as the LS3 Crate Engine. Your choice on what you decide to do but I like to check all possibilities. You can see what I recently have done in replacing my 1987 Corvette engine on my page.

BTW, Congrats! on having your Corvette for so many years and enjoying it as a daily driver as I do mine.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

TO TOP