Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

rocker arms for 1965 corvette 365 hp

dragrace
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/15/12 01:52 PM

Hellow everyone:
    I am looking for rocker arms that will work on the 1965 327 365 hp motor. I have heard that they had the 0 markings as did the 302 Z-28 Cameros and also that the GM # 3974290 with the letter v stamped on the rocker arm will also work with this motor. Can anyone help me?

Thank you,
                              drk46@hotmail.com  

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/15/12 06:48 PM

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/15/12 06:50 PM

what exactly are you looking for.. info .. or parts...

DO The slots measure .697" long. or .745" or almost 3/4"

there are short and long slot rockers available all over the place..

google long slot rockers...

if you want OEM versions...    take your dial caliper and visit the swap meets..  visit engine rebuilding shops..  sort through their piles of rocker arms..  

dragrace
Posted: 02/15/12 09:02 PM

Hi wayne;
    i appreciate your response. I am looking for spacific rocker arms. The 327 365hp motor had guide plates for the push rods. The rocker arms were beefed up and made stronger by both TRW and GM. They were also the long slot but were not self aligning. I have tried direct with GM and they are no longer available. The part number that is available is Gm # 3974290. This number I have found is rocker arms for 3.8 motors and also later models Z28 Cameros. I have done my research. The standard 1.5 rocker arms that everyone produces today from $43.00 to $85.00 will not work on that particular motor. I have found 12 new rocker arms with The GM number 3974290; but I am leary of them because of their use on different motors. If I misled you with my question; I am sorry. I am almost ready to quit looking for these particular parts and wait for swap meets or parts shows.

Thanks,
                           drk46@hotmail.com  

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/15/12 10:22 PM

you might want to post this again.. over on chevy hi performance    click on my user name for a link to that site..  thats the most active site right now that i visit with a few serious engine builders that post daily..

what diameter are the rocker arm stud shanks????

as far as i know.. the GM rockers used the slot in the cast iron head to align the pushrods..   the slot in the bottom of the rocker arms was to keep them upright..  when the slot wears ... the rocker arms fall over...   there is also a groove worn in the side of the rocker arm stud..

the guys over there will know more than i do on these.. most of them have raced for decades..  

dragrace
Posted: 02/16/12 08:50 AM

Hi again;
    I am an old super stock racer that raced 283s 327s and 427s. I have never ran into the problem I have now trying to help a friend out with new rocker arms. He wants to stay stock and that is going to turn into a six month plus ordeal. I hope we find the solution and I thank you for your time. You are right about the push rods coming through the block. The omly blocks that had guide plates were big glocks as I remember. Sorry about that; from now on I will have to see it before I believe it. Thanks for your time and information.
                                 dragrace  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/22/12 08:46 PM

Yeah I remember those back in the day! I never had a problem with valve train parts breaking. I do remember we did tig weld a piece of shim stock on the stressed points. If you are to ask me the size was it was .050 to .060. Done correctly you would not know it didn't belong there!

I do engine work for a purist, this guys garage floor is heated and the complete building is 50% relative humidity, and 68 degrees all the time. His collection is from 1953 to the present. It's a place you have to see to believe. It has a backup generator.

I asked him if he knew where there were any (0) rocker arms. He said he doesn't have any and he and his partner's have bought complete inventories of dealerships that went out. I can tell you this anytime I get an engine from him 265 and up. He wants everything original. So in my thinking these rocker arms may have been a band-aide. So I also checked with my GURU buddy he remembers them and said as I thought they weren't production items.That's my 2 cents.....Sorry I can't help you anymore then that.
Thanks,
Bob  

TO TOP