Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1987 Corvette Won't Start after New Engine Install

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 04/14/12 07:53 PM

how much does it cost to take it all apart back down to the head gaskets a second time..  

6 hours of labor.. 60 bucks in fluids..   100 bucks in gaskets..  1 very mad customer..  all for free.. but the customer is the one thats going to cost you..  

you can pay me now.. or you can pay me later...    oh yea...   the second time its free..

i really hate doing the job a second time for free...  

87corvette
Posted: 04/14/12 07:59 PM

So far, knock on wood, no failures on the jobs I have done.  I follow the gasket manufacturers instructions and make sure the RA is where it should be.  How many tubes to cover both sides of two V8 gaskets, just curious.  

87corvette
Posted: 04/14/12 08:01 PM

I haven't done nearly as many as you have I'm sure.  In 30 years, I am probably around 100 jobs or so.  This was just for friends and family and my own addictive engine builds!  

waynep71222
Posted: 04/14/12 08:19 PM

probably 300 in 30 years.. ..  i don't do as many as i used to do..  i even grind my own valves faces and seats..    one tube is enough for probably 3 head gaskets..  sometimes 4..  if i go thin..

i put it on my 460 head gaskets..  last week i lost a freeze plug on the freeway.. in heavy traffic..  i had to drive it off the freeway no place to stop safely..  let it cool for a few hours.. picked up some freeze plugs.. got it to a friends yard..  drove the freeze plug in..  filled it.. not a leak..  i was sure i had destroyed it..  i was already plotting the tear down and stripping before it went to the junk yard..   crazy me.. still works.. it was like old faithful on the freeway.. wipers going behind me.. guy on a motorcycle wiping his face..  so much steam that it brought the freeway to a complete halt..  and nobody would let me over.. i put 7000 pounds of steel van in front of them and they gave way.. guess steel wins over plastic bumpers every time..  

87corvette
Posted: 04/14/12 08:37 PM

Haaaaaaaaaaa!  That's funny.  

I do my own valves but don't have the seat cutters.  I used the stones in college but that was years ago.  

waynep71222
Posted: 04/14/12 09:30 PM

i bought a sioux seat set and valve refacer from a former boss a long time ago..   i needed a part for it.. called up sioux.. they put me through to the founder... we talked about the machine.. he said they had not sold that model since 1946..   i was tired of needing to replace the flat cotton belts every few years..   so i took the machine in the back of my truck over to the autoparts store.. started checking out K series belts..   got one that was just right after 3 tries.. works perfect..  no more torn up belts..

i guess i have always been creative.. late one evening.. the boss at a rebuilding shop was boring and honing some blocks..  when the drive belt on the sunnen CK10 powerhone stripped its cogs out..   we could not find the replacement  that should have been there..  i counted the teeth.. looked it up.. grabbed a vega belt..  it was one tooth longer..  but slightly thicker..  he thought if would throw off the gear ratio and break the machine. it fit perfectly..

the block guy had been fired after sleeving a straight six continental motor..  and the new sleeves fell through ..  that night i found out why.. the setting master standards for the sunnen dial bore gauge had HUGE Dimples in the end from wear of the carbide ball going in and out a few hundred  times a day over a decade..  the sunnen guy the next morn said he had never seen such a worn set..

i left that job after the workers threw the torque wrench tester at me.. saying it's wrong..  each one of their torque wrenches tests different.    that they have used their torque wrenches for years and they know they are correct..   i tested them.. some were 20 pounds low at 65 foot pounds..   when i would come in at 6 monday morning..  i would find them in their tool drawers set at 65 to 110 foot pounds..   i checked them against my beam type torque wrench .. then my brand new craftsman click type.. ..   10, 15 and 20 pounds low..  so it was not my tools...

things were so strange.. i could not even get anybody to buy a steel 350 crank that was turned 1010..   they got sold off to a different crank grinder.. who wanted 400 bucks each when i needed one for a project..  

87corvette
Posted: 04/14/12 10:33 PM

That's funny.  I have a K-Tool International digital wrench.  Very expensive, but I don't have to set it to zero when finished.  I too use a craftsman beam wrench to check it.  Dead on, but well taken care of.  

I used to work in a small engine repair shop.  Piece work 50/50.  I learned a lot from the other mechanics.  Both what to do and what not to do.  I never had a re-fire (we used to call them when work came back due to the mechanics error or ommision).  I think this was due to my paying attention to detail and not smoking dope while working on equipment.  I remember one mechanic set his lit cigarette on top of a gas tank opening while setting points.  He was high at the time. I think we learn more from others doing things wrong than right....  

87corvette
Posted: 04/16/12 05:43 PM

Just bought the K-Line torque wrench.  3/8 drive for $175.00 through Amazon.  

87corvette
Posted: 04/18/12 06:42 PM

Torque wrench arrived today.  Very nice!  

waynep71222
Posted: 04/18/12 06:57 PM

click...

did you order a scan tool???  or find a good used one???

i am still thinking about borrowing a friends HIGH MPG car and driving up to lone wolfs to get his car started..

i have not found a good core crank for my toyota 4ALC..  everybody wants to turn mine.. and its ugly.. i looked..  probably easier to just buy a newer model car..  my big ford van gets horrible mpg.. even with the tweeks i have done..  i am just about to yank it all back apart and try a different cam..  the one first put in.. got wiped out by a friend who started it and let it idle before i had broken the cam in..  the second cam seemed to have different markings.. even though the cam grinder said it was the same..  

87corvette
Posted: 04/19/12 08:15 AM

Scan tool should arrive today.  I've been waiting for it all week.  

As far as the cam break-in, be sure to use a diesel grade oil as these have the needed anti-wear compounds for flat tappet cam break-in. There are additives out there supplied by the cam manufacturers, but they are basically the same as the diesel oil.  I think it is a 15w-40 weight oil.  

87corvette
Posted: 04/19/12 08:17 AM

Also, start with "weak" valve springs then switch over to the cam manufacturers recommended seat pressures/springs after the break-in.  

waynep71222
Posted: 04/19/12 03:54 PM

i left a friend watching it.. told him its ready to start .. but don't ..  i have not broken in the cam..  when i came back later he was running it at idle.     i did have old style shell rotella in it..  the newer bottles have reduced ZDDP.. 15w-40 ... its my fault.. i left the key .. so i swapped in another cam.. lifters cleaned the fragments of lifter and cam lobe off the magnet stuck in the bottom front of the pan while i had the timing cover off and the sprockets off..

did you print the sensor chart from the other thread???  there are 2 .. i should work on my own.. with closer to perfect numbers... those are kinda broad .. .  

87corvette
Posted: 04/19/12 05:05 PM

Which thread? The scanner came today.  Sweet!  playing with it now.  Pretty user friendly.  

waynep71222
Posted: 04/19/12 06:50 PM

there are two slightly different charts as JPGs

please look at ONE line only..

write your scan tool values on the page next to the proper line...  with the engine cold.. key on engine off..   then warm idling.. then hot at 2500 in park...

you can set up most scan tools

Scandatagm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scandata  

TO TOP