123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

1987 Corvette Won't Start after New Engine Install

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/20/12 04:47 PM

[QUOTE][USERNAME]mdsheley[/USERNAME]Two questions:

1. did you get it started?

2. I have an 87, how much have you invested for new engine?

Mike, I will reply in a confidential way & Thanks for asking.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/20/12 04:54 PM

Icon Quotemdsheley:
Two questions:

1. did you get it started?

2. I have an 87, how much have you invested for new engine?

Mike

BTW, the cost for the Memcal to be programed to my engines specs? Only $65.00. That is correct, $65.00. I can send you the link if you wish. Unless you want a programable memcal then it costs another $85 for the hardware & cable, connectors. Still a price you can't beat. I got beat by a company who said they were sending me a new memcal programed for my ECM and it turned out to be a plug in type that attached to wherever, like on the side of the Firewall, not in the ECM as I had thought I'd paid for. For this I wasted money on something that did not even work.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/20/12 04:58 PM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:
1A  

nope.. it has not started yet...   he does not have a lot of diagnostic tools...  like a scan tool to see what the computer is doing..   a wire to the EGR temp/flow sensor broke and shorted to ground.. after that the system has NOT worked..

i have not ask if he has tried a different computer.. and swapped his custom programmed chip over into it...

he is getting a code 12 when he jumps the A and B terminal on the ALDL connector.. so the computer is awake.. but it may still have problems..

it is going to a repair shop this week..  

hopefully he will have some results into what was needed...

what a beautiful 87 he has..

D0c2cbd0b0fee212c9e5f9d649931088

it actually looks like this..   still a clean clean car...

9480A5f38af5e4ca31c2483273d08ba9

Thanks Wayne. The top photo you put in is a PhotoShop job I did on the picture of the Corvette coming out of the garage. Thanks for appraising my car so nicely.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/20/12 06:04 PM

its so clean.. that i wish i was not deep end engine assembly this week on two projects or i would borrow a car and roll up there with a trunk of tools..  its only about 400 miles each way..   these are just not something i can hand off to anybody else..  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/20/12 06:51 PM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:
its so clean.. that i wish i was not deep end engine assembly this week on two projects or i would borrow a car and roll up there with a trunk of tools..  its only about 400 miles each way..   these are just not something i can hand off to anybody else..

I too wish it wasn't so far and you being so busy. Since my wallet is flatter than a pancake with dust bunnies lining it I will not be able to get it to my friends shop. I have babied & loved this Corvette for 6 yrs now and have put much time & money into it. Just got hit by Identity Theft and lost a few thousand because of this so no money right now for the shop & the tow to get it there. By the way, where the heck does the other end of the Negative Battery Cable disappear to when it goes behind the motor & firewall? I am needing to change this but cannot see where it connects to after it leaves the battery. Thanks.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/20/12 09:37 PM

sure looks like the big ground wire attaches to the side of the block just above the oil filter on the side of the block...

and another to the firewall ground terminal block.  perhaps it goes to the back of the block someplace..  its hard to see in the diagram...

9108201Y02 005

you will want to copy this image.. and print a copy for the wall of your garage..  

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/20/12 10:23 PM

the engine end of the big battery NEGATIVE cable connects to the bell housing bolt #10 just above item #13 in VIEW A

the small wire from the NEGative battery cable connects to a ground stud in the middle image at item #14..  item #21 is also a ground strap from the engine to the ground point #14

if you look carefully.. you will see  that the positive and the negative cables run close together in the image up by arrow #6..  this is usually NOT the case..

that bell housing bolt is really really hard to get to as i recall..  where the Negative battery cable connects to the back of the block via the bellhousing bolt...

plan on using a stubby wrench to work it out after you bust it loose.. or break out your spark plug ratchet with the flex head..

you can.. if the battery end of the cable is bad or corroded..    dip it into a styrofoam or disposable cup as you don't want to ever drink from it .. the cup with some baking soda and HOT water to dip the end of the cable into and stir it around.. then a HOT water wash..  dipped in another cup .. you can pry the rubber boot loop over the ring terminal to be able to get in and wire brush it..     i like the solid brass side terminal battery cable ends... if you can find them..  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/21/12 08:18 AM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:
the engine end of the big battery NEGATIVE cable connects to the bell housing bolt #10 just above item #13 in VIEW A

the small wire from the NEGative battery cable connects to a ground stud in the middle image at item #14..  item #21 is also a ground strap from the engine to the ground point #14

if you look carefully.. you will see  that the positive and the negative cables run close together in the image up by arrow #6..  this is usually NOT the case..

that bell housing bolt is really really hard to get to as i recall..  where the Negative battery cable connects to the back of the block via the bellhousing bolt...

plan on using a stubby wrench to work it out after you bust it loose.. or break out your spark plug ratchet with the flex head..

you can.. if the battery end of the cable is bad or corroded..    dip it into a styrofoam or disposable cup as you don't want to ever drink from it .. the cup with some baking soda and HOT water to dip the end of the cable into and stir it around.. then a HOT water wash..  dipped in another cup .. you can pry the rubber boot loop over the ring terminal to be able to get in and wire brush it..     i like the solid brass side terminal battery cable ends... if you can find them..

Thanks wayne, where did you get this diagram? I would like to know what all the numbers correspond with, ie what connection, sensor, wireing etc. No wonder one can never find the other end of the negative cable, well hidden.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/21/12 08:32 AM

the only stuff still available with numbers is the negative battery cable and the oil pressure switch...

012 12157315 CABLE. Battery (Negative)  somewhere under just under 50 bucks.

031 25036292 SENSOR. Engine Oil Pressure/Temperature. Oil Pressure or Temperature.    just under 150..

there are 5 of the brackets still shown..  

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/21/12 08:52 AM

you might want to read this.... see if the ECM is actually pulsing the fuel injectors..

http://www.noidlight.com/how-to-use-a-noid-light/

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-piece-noid-light-and-iac-tester-set-97959.html

this set is available at az and some other stores..

OEM/6 pcs. noid light set

Price: $25.00  Part Number: 27161

the some  versions are sometimes available individually..

this is an OEM-TOOLS  25141  actually from great neck tools..

25141 2  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/22/12 01:21 PM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:
you might want to read this.... see if the ECM is actually pulsing the fuel injectors..

25141 2

Thanks Wayne, I know this to be very valuable & will need to do so to check the injectors.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/22/12 01:28 PM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:

25141 2

Thanks Wayne, I know this to be very valuable & will need to do so to check the injectors.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/22/12 02:33 PM

there is a link on how to use the NOID light...

i just want to know if the computer is firing the fuel injectors.....

this is the short list of sensor data values.. when a scan tool is plugged in..

Scandatagm

i was working on a honda this morning..     had a misfire on number 3..  then when i swapped the coils.. had a misfire on cylinder 4.. so the misfire followed from 3 to 4...

but the long term fuel trim.. known as integator above was way off.. i removed .. cleaned the injectors.. swapped in a new coil to the #4 cylinder where the last misfire was...  fired it up and what a difference..

its all in having a scan tool to look at what the computer is seeing..

hopefully.. you will get your banking straightened out..   then get the vette fixed..   at least you can still ride the bart..  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/22/12 10:06 PM

Lonewolf 11: Just my 2 cents and I know you are working with Wayne and keep doing that he's a smart electronics guy.

The power for the ECM and all power modules are fed off the the engine starter motor. with the largest lugg the starter solenoid thats the power disstribution. Make sure they are properly connected first of all. I know it sounds strange, but the power is at the starter. I would go to the engine starter motor and check the connections and all the fusable links, and trace the wire back from there. Tugg on those wires and if any of them have a green color to the wire replace them all. The Large Lugg on the starter solenoid is the place to start. I worked as a consultant for a Chevy Dealer that had an 84? Vette that cranked but did not start. That Vette was there for 3 solid months and noone could find it. Thats where the problem was. I'm not saying yours is there but removing an engine can do this and drive you a little crazy in the meantime...Good Luck..
Thanks,
Bob  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/23/12 08:42 AM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
Lonewolf 11: Just my 2 cents and I know you are working with Wayne and keep doing that he's a smart electronics guy.

The power for the ECM and all power modules are fed off the the engine starter motor. with the largest lugg the starter solenoid thats the power disstribution. Make sure they are properly connected first of all. I know it sounds strange, but the power is at the starter. I would go to the engine starter motor and check the connections and all the fusable links, and trace the wire back from there. Tugg on those wires and if any of them have a green color to the wire replace them all. The Large Lugg on the starter solenoid is the place to start. I worked as a consultant for a Chevy Dealer that had an 84? Vette that cranked but did not start. That Vette was there for 3 solid months and noone could find it. Thats where the problem was. I'm not saying yours is there but removing an engine can do this and drive you a little crazy in the meantime...Good Luck..
Thanks,
Bob

Thanks Pepsi1 or Bob, as I seem to be getting into an issue now with the starting. Every once in a while all I get is a "click" then I release the key, try again and it goes into the "I want to start" mode but doesn't. I also have been recently experiencing a sluggishness to the starting and the dash lights go dim or like a hazyness to the read outs. The Oil Pressure shows 6 or 8 but I am also wondering if somehow I need to replace the Oil Pressure Switch & related items. They haven't been changed since I've owned the Corvette in 7 years. I know that they are in a tight location behind the distributer mostly as I re-routed some wireing yesterday to get a better look at all connections and where the wires are running to. The starter is what I was thinking may be going bad as well since it seems I am not getting enough "juice" flowing. The Cam, pistons etc I have along with the 1.6 Stainless Roller Rocker's make it harder to start than the stock L98 was.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

123 Last
TO TOP