Ad Radar
123 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

1987 Corvette Won't Start after New Engine Install

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/14/12 10:28 AM

I am at my wits end. Had to replace the original L98 (cracked block w/170,000 miles) new block, crank, Flat Top Racing Pistons 10.5:1, Flat Tapet Lifter's, CompCams Cam, retained the L98 heads w/installed 1.6 Stainless Roller Rocker's all new everything else, retained the L98 intake, runner's & plenum as well as the Distributer. Had the memcal reprogramed for all the changes. Have replaced the ECM 2 times now along with everything in the distributer. New Throttle Position Sensor & connector. Damn thing won't start. Now I can't even get a 56 millivolt on my multimeter as the programer suggested I set it at. Had it running for a couple of weeks when the wire from the EGR temperature Sensor Switch broke free while driving. Stalled, restarted, stalled, restarted, stalled, restarted, stalled. I have replaced the EGR Temp Sensor Switch but it hasn't run since. Wants to start but just won't turn over enough to fire up and run so that I can reset the timing and TPS millivolts.

Any thoughts on my perplexing problem?  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/14/12 12:30 PM

i will be glad to work you through this...  the first thing to do is to jump the A and the B terminal of the ALDL connector under the dash.. then turn on the key...  see if you get code 12 from the check engine light..  it will flash it 3 times... then go to the next code...

Aldl

next...

do you have a scan tool that will read and display the live data from this system???  

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/14/12 12:37 PM

dead stick timing the L98 HEI...

once you have the distributer rotor pointing in the proper direction.

with the harmonic damper lined up at 6 before TDC...  the base timing for the 87 TPI motors...

turn the housing so the pick up coil tips line up perfectly with the tips of the reluctor on the distributer shaft..

where the tips of the reluctor and the tips of the pick up coil line up perfectly is where the ignition is going to fire when not in electronic timing control...

this allows you do dead stick time a motor... so it will start and run when you turn the key...  

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/14/12 12:42 PM

perhaps this will help...

and did you hook up the ground wires to the back of the cylinder heads... sometimes down above the oil filter..

85 89Pfiwiring  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/15/12 08:55 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. Yesterday I called my friend Jerry (Ross Automotive) He suggested a clogged Cat so I removed the Cat. Pointing it into the sun light I could see a clear path all the way thru. This is a brand new MagnaFlow Cat with less than 200 miles so wasn't sure if this would solve the problem. Just prior to this I adjusted the distributer to where it had been at roughly 6 Degrees BTD or more and it just about started every time I turned the key off. Wore the battery down some doing so. Are you suggesting that I set the timing at 6 degrees BTD instead of 0 Degrees initially? The reluctor, is that the metal armature above the Pickup Coil? The diagram you sent is nice but I am not a certified mechanic to really understand all that I am looking at. I finally got a 5 volt reading on my new Throttle Position Sensor and I think this will be a big help when I try starting today when I return from my doctors appt. My memcal programer also said to adjust the TPS to 56 millivolts, which I haven't been able to get a reading on but had been able to do so 4 weeks ago. Any thoughts here?  
Gregorio Lonewolf

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/15/12 08:58 AM

No I don't have a scan tool but I do have a code reader which I have hooked up a few times and get a normal code reading everytime. I will try this again to perhaps clear the codes & ECM?  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/15/12 10:05 AM

i am going to splice together a new thread on scan tools.....

autozone com also covers the C4 corvettes really well.. in their repair info site after you log in..

not as well as a factory service manual...

more to come...

oh.. cats are passive.. they only effect if the are clogged.. restricting the exhaust flow..  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/15/12 03:52 PM

Thank you Wayne7122 for all of your replies. I understand Cats are passive and mine seems to NOT be clogged. I await your splice on a new thread, hope I see it. Checked with AutoZone as that & Summit racing is where I do a lot of my shopping when not on Corvette Central for parts. Are you refering to the Do It Yourself section? If so I have been here and the Chiltons Manual is relatively no help at all. Perhaps a Haynes mannual is better?  
Gregorio Lonewolf

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/15/12 03:53 PM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:
i am going to splice together a new thread on scan tools.....

autozone com also covers the C4 corvettes really well.. in their repair info site after you log in..

not as well as a factory service manual...

more to come...

oh.. cats are passive.. they only effect if the are clogged.. restricting the exhaust flow..

Thank you Wayne7122 for all of your replies. I understand Cats are passive and mine seems to NOT be clogged. I await your splice on a new thread, hope I see it. Checked with AutoZone as that & Summit racing is where I do a lot of my shopping when not on Corvette Central for parts. Are you refering to the Do It Yourself section? If so I have been here and the Chiltons Manual is relatively no help at all. Perhaps a Haynes mannual is better

Read more: http://forums.vetteweb.com/70/9044524/ask-the-vette-staff/1987-corvette-wont-start-after-new-engine-install/index.html#ixzz1mUvN0bc8  
Gregorio Lonewolf

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/15/12 04:15 PM

Icon Quotewaynep7122:
dead stick timing the L98 HEI...

once you have the distributer rotor pointing in the proper direction.

with the harmonic damper lined up at 6 before TDC...  the base timing for the 87 TPI motors...

turn the housing so the pick up coil tips line up perfectly with the tips of the reluctor on the distributer shaft..

where the tips of the reluctor and the tips of the pick up coil line up perfectly is where the ignition is going to fire when not in electronic timing control...

this allows you do dead stick time a motor... so it will start and run when you turn the key...

I am going to give this a try but when you say "reluctor" are you refering to the Main Shaft Assembly metal arm that prevents the removal of the Pickup Coil?

Repairguidecontent  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/15/12 06:30 PM

you cannot see the pick up coil tips or the reluctor tips very well on your distributer .. but they are there..

you can almost see them in this image of just the pick up coil..

here is a later model V6 distributer.. theory is the same...   the reluctor is the star on the shaft...

the pick up coil is on the out side with an internal star..

4Pointthreetbidistributer

if you have the crank lined up.. to where you want the base timing to be..  and the last motion of the crank was in the normal direction of rotation..   (turning right at the top of the damper)   and you stop at what ever the base timing should be.. i looked in my smog manual for the 6 before spec.. what you have on the label is probably correct..  as i have seen other cars with 0. timing ...

this is where the ignition module will fire the coil at during start up.. .

once the engine reaches 400 RPMs... the Computer takes control...

this works both ways.. you can slowly turn the crank.. while watching the reluctor and pick up coil.. stopping where they line up perfectly...  then look at the crank to see where the timing is set..

i love this dead stick timing..  as i preset the engine.. rip the distributer out.. work on it or swap it for a different one.. shove it in.. align it as described above..   lock it down..  after verifying its seated on the oil pump shaft..   reach through the open window and crank the engine up..  it will start almost every time...  makes me look like a genius ..

click the Active posts link above to see the post i put up on the SCAN tools for the late C3 and C4 corvettes..  

lonewolf11
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/16/12 09:21 AM

This is very helpful. I am sure that this took some time to put together so Thank You. I am attaching I hope a photo from you with an arrow pointing at the arm I was refering to which I believe is the magnetic arm with the 6 holes in it right above the Pickup Coil in case the photo doesn't attach.  
Gregorio Lonewolf

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/16/12 02:38 PM

check your messages to the left of where you log out at...  

mdsheley
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/20/12 05:53 AM

Two questions:

1. did you get it started?

2. I have an 87, how much have you invested for new engine?

Mike  

waynep7122
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/20/12 08:26 AM

1A  

nope.. it has not started yet...   he does not have a lot of diagnostic tools...  like a scan tool to see what the computer is doing..   a wire to the EGR temp/flow sensor broke and shorted to ground.. after that the system has NOT worked..

i have not ask if he has tried a different computer.. and swapped his custom programmed chip over into it...

he is getting a code 12 when he jumps the A and B terminal on the ALDL connector.. so the computer is awake.. but it may still have problems..

it is going to a repair shop this week..  

hopefully he will have some results into what was needed...

what a beautiful 87 he has..

D0c2cbd0b0fee212c9e5f9d649931088

it actually looks like this..   still a clean clean car...

9480A5f38af5e4ca31c2483273d08ba9  

123 Last
TO TOP