Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

1988 windshield wipers intermittent

jimyz
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/26/07 01:20 PM

Just bought the car and two days later it rains while driving. At first, the only movement came on the high setting but only 3-4 inches, then it began swiping the entire windshield, I did get home however I still have no delay or low response, only the high setting, and then it is random. It has 46000 miles which says the car has not been driven and the previous owner says he hasn't used the wipers in 5 years. Thanx for any imput  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 03/27/07 01:46 PM

Sounds like the control board on the wiper motor has gone kaput. I've got a '92 Silverado that's got the same problem. Only my high wipers work, but someitmes in a heavy rain the low and intermittent settings will start working again. Good news is the board's a standard part available at most local auto parts stores for about $30-$40.

If it's not that,t he only other option is the control stalk on the steering column, but it really sounds like that control board has gone bad.  

jimyz
Posted: 04/27/07 09:42 AM

What is the control stalk in the steering column and where is it? I replaced the circuit board on the front of the wiper motor for 75$. It retails for 125$. The wipers still only work on high and I have to time the shut off with the switch to get the wipers positioned down. Any help?  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 04/30/07 12:58 PM

When I say the control stalk, I mean the one on the column that controls the wipers/cruise control/ and turn signals.

I'm going through exactly the same thing you are, though I haven't changed my control board yet. Though last week I went over a good bump int he road and the low/intermittent settings for the wipers started working again.

Before you go into changing the control stalk, check out the wiring for both the stalk and the wiring going into the wiper motor. You could have an electrical issue that's causing your problem.

I'm gonna ask a friend who's a C4 expert and see what he can suggest regarding your problem.  

RedCorvette86
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/17/08 08:51 PM

Jimmyz

Is your switch on the drivers door?  I was told that this problem is in the parking switch on the motor itself and not in the pulse circuit relay board.  I just bought a new Dorman Wiper motor with a parking switch but without puls relay ciruit board for $70 and I am getting ready to put it in.  If your switch is in the door and the wipers come on, the switch has to be good as it only has one wire, however ther are three plugs on the wiper motor and one for the wiper washer.  

One of those plugs goes to the Pulse Relay circuit board on the face of the motor the other one plugs in on the drivers side of the plastic box the circuit board is housed in and the third goes to the bottom of the motor. The fourth goes to the washer pump on the passenger side of the plastic cover in the bottom of the pump wipe motor.

But I am working on a late 86.  Hope to put some pix up soon

RedCorvette86  
Corvette's Should only come in "Torch Red" (U1U)

RedCorvette86
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/17/08 08:57 PM

(Cont)

The plug that goes in on the drivers side of the plastic box is the one that goes to the wiper brake switch.

RedCorvette86 Wink  

Stevette
Posted: 06/25/08 10:27 AM

Since this thread was resurrected...I have a question re: 99 Corvette.  My wipers won't turn off.  For a while it would try to stow them, but then pop back on again.  Now they don't even try to stow themselves.  I suspect a problem with the motor, and will investigate further when I get home.  My problem is the 45 minute drive...worried about wipers going on dry windshield the whole time.  Thought I could find a fuse to the motor or a connection to the motor that I could pull until I get home.  Any advice?  (Keeping in mind that I have only the simplest of tools available to me until I get home.)  

RedCorvette86
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 07/24/08 05:08 PM

I'll tell you what I have been doing is going to the Autozone Website. http://www.autozone.com  I have three other cars so I created an account.  With the account I can manage all my vehicles from that sight.  They do offer online repair manuals which you can use to check out the wiper problem in their troubleshooting section, or you can go to the wiring diagrams and search under the index list for 99 corvette wiring diagram chassis electrical WIPER MOTOR CIRCUITS and it will give you a block diagram from the Fuse, its number or name on the fuse panel, and on down to the different boxes used to designate Pulse Relay Circuit Board, Parking Switch, Wiper Motor, Wiper Washer Motor, and any other relays that might be involved.  

What it sounds like to me is the Parking Switch which is part and parcel in the motor.  It can be replaced by buying a replacement GM Part or if you don't want to pay the high GM Goodwrench Certified Price you can get the motor and switch through Autozone and it will have a lifetime warranty on it as long as you own the car.

The parking switch brings the wipers down when you are in intermittent mode, the pulse Relay board changes the timing. When you turn your wipers off the parking switch makes the wiper arms stay down.

You should never run the wiper motor without having the wiper arms attached as this will supposedly short out the Parking switch.  How or why I am not sure, but I do know that it causes problems with the timing eccentrics in the motor gearbox to which the parking switch is attached...

One other thing to be mindful of before you get into disassembly is to remove the grate if you can without taking the wiper arms off and watch the motor arm turn.  If in the case of a friend of mine somone had replace a lost screw with one they happened to find, it turned out to be to long and not only burn't up the motor but the parking switch as well.  I don't understand why someone would put a screw into a unit that's too long since it will stop the wiper motor control arm from functioning correctly.

I sure hope this helps

RedCorvette86  

TO TOP