Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Battery problem

Bill D.
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/18/06 08:36 AM

I have a new 2006 C6, it is great except the battery won't stay charged.  If I don't drive the vette for two weeks the battery runs down.  I travel quite a bit on business and don't get to drive this great car frequently enough.  Have you heard of any one else having this kind of problem, any suggestions?  

55Guy
Administrator
Posted: 10/02/06 05:12 AM

Since the car is still under warranty, the first thing I'd do is take it back to the dealership, tell them what's up and let them fix it. There's something staying on inside the car that's drianing the battery when it sits inactive, and the GM techs should be able to locate the problem quickly for you.  

garymiller3227
Posted: 05/29/12 05:37 PM

My 84 c-4 vette's battery goes dead from time to time after short trips. I have replaced both the battery and alternator previously before it started the latest malfunction. The battery (walmart) was less than 1 year old and tested bad.  Walmart replaced the battery and I went ahead and replaced the alternator.  It ran fine for several months then started going dead again. The last time I drove it, my dash indication first showed high volts (17 to 21 volts)then low volts (8)and then the dash indication (led)would go completely dark except for the high beam indication.  The car kept running normally until I shut it off and then it would not restart.  If this is an intermittent short,in your opinion, please tell me where to start looking. Post answer on blog or email me at garymiller3227@hotmail.com.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/29/12 07:33 PM

first thing...

engine off....  Disconnect the battery cables at the battery....

unscrew/remove the battery terminal bolt from the battery cable end..   pour some hot water over the end of the rubber boot.. use a screw driver to pry the loop of the boot over the ring terminal inside..   use a stainless steel wire tooth brush to clean the ring terminal..   keep washing in just hot water..  clean the threaded terminal bolt face with the wire brush..

Stainlesssteeltoothbrush2

you will probably want to remove the battery....  look for the positive terminal block... probably looks like this.. its usually to the drivers side of the battery tray..    count the wires attached to it.. then unscrew the nut .. take each cable off and clean the ring terminals..   clean the stud.. make sure the nut holding the stud tight to the plastic block is tight..  this is on an 87.. so yours might be slightly different.. might even have a red cover..

87 C4 Powerdistributionterminalblock

do you see the rusty headed bolt to the left of the battery tray.. in the green circle in this picture.. its a 10mm headed bolt..   thats a very important ground connection..   grounds are really not just grounds on a car.. they are HALF the CIRCUIT..  loose half the circuit.. loose control of various thing..  like the charging system.. pry away the debris.. remove the rusty bolt.. wire brush the area.. wire brush the ring terminal.. wire brush the bolt head and flange. .. reinstall..

87 C4 Underbatterygroundconnection

more to come....  

waynep71222
Posted: 05/29/12 08:14 PM

this is the wiring for an 84
the negative cable is #12.. it connects to a ground terminal block at #20.  the ground cable bolts to the side of the block at #22...   there is also a really hard to get at ground connection on a bell housing bolt #10 just above #13 in the upper image..

84C4crossfirewiringharness  

waynep71222
Posted: 05/29/12 08:21 PM

now.. after cleaning all the easy to get to ground connections... and the terminal block where all the positive wires come off of..

see if your car starts..

if it does... i am hoping that you have a digital volt meter..  hand held version. not the dash board..

start the engine. turn the headlights on..  

set digital volt meter to 20 volts DC scale..

1. battery negative post to the positive battery post.. you should get 14.1 to 14.8 volts..

2. battery negative post to the engine block..   0.04 volts..

3. battery negative post to the chassis ground.. 0.02 volts .. probably the master cylinder. or the chassis..

4.. engine block to the chassis ground..  0.02 volts..

you will also want to test from the output terminal of the alternator to the battery positive.. you are probably going to get around 0.25 volts.. but less is better..

please.. post your results.  

garymiller3227
Posted: 05/29/12 08:53 PM

Absolutely will post results but I probably will not be able to work on the vette till this weekend due to work but I will post results as soon as I do. Thanks a million for the advise with pictures and diagrams, I am going to print them off and make a notebook for my vette. Thanks agin. will be in touch.  

pepsi1
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/30/12 11:33 AM

If your Vette is in a safe place where it will be hard to get at: After you have used it disconnect the battery.

When you get back to it as usual connect the battery and see if the engine will start. If it starts you'll know it's not the battery. It's a drain on the electrical system somewhere..

If it doesn't start then it is the battery. I hope it's the battery!  

87corvette
Posted: 06/01/12 03:52 AM

I love these battery disconnects.  I use them mainly for added security, but also for long term storage.  I install them on the negative side.  On my 67 Chevelle, I put it on the engine block where the negative cable bolts (just for looks).  The link below is a bit pricey as I have picked them up at car shows for around $5.  Copy and paste this link in the browser.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00099YOV8/ref%3Dasc_df_B00099YOV81947596/%3Ftag%3Daskcom05el-20%26creative%3D394997%26creativeASIN%3DB00099YOV8%26linkCode%3Dasn  

87corvette
Posted: 06/01/12 03:55 AM

Or this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Side-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N72FES/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b  

TO TOP