Item Posts    Sort Order

Building a 454 BBC

Josh Beard
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/04/17 11:12 PM

Hey everyone! New to the forums and engine building in general and want to upgrade the motor in my 1977 Chevy K10 from a old and beat 350 over to a fresh built 454. I've been self-educating on subjects necessary to make this dream come to life.

One of the major questions I am having trouble figuring out is how to exactly determine the piston deck height clearance on a block with a deck height of 9.8, rod length of 6.135, and crank stroke of 4.5, let alone if the math here is possible to meet a squish threshold of as near to .030 as possible, including the question of how thick of a gasket I should use. I know that I am literally at the beginning of a hobby/possible profession years in the making and want to do as much of the paperwork now to get things right the first time instead of just thinking it is something that can be done in a month.

Again, my question here is how to determine piston deck clearance, and any other advice such as how deck height, rod length, and crank stroke affect one another. I am aware that a longer rod and thinner piston head will result in a higher HP application that is less able to withstand torque, and where a closer to stock rod with a thicker piston head will suffer HP loss from more material and more friction, but be able to withstand more torque due to the extra thickness. I have some understanding of how all of this is supposed to be done but want to make sure I can accurately calculate how all of the internals of this all will play together. Shooting for a 10.5:1 compression ratio and hoping for at least 500 HP and 550 ft/lbs of torque. More would be nice if possible and I am willing to spend the cash on high quality forged parts to do so. I'm looking more for reliability in the long run more than anything.

Any thoughts or advice here would be much appreciated!!

If there is a thread where this information has been previously discussed I would be more than happy to be directed to it.  

TO TOP