Item Posts    Sort Order

Gmc temp gauge

Lsterling
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/22/14 03:00 PM

My 09 GMC V6 pick-up seems to have an issue with the engine temp sending unit.  The original lasted until 9 months ago.  I replaced it with a dealer part which lasted  until 3 days ago.  I replaced it with the dealer part again and it lasted 2 days.  What am I missing?  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/22/14 07:38 PM

can you narrow down the actual truck model.. rating and engine size.

there are several different engine coolant temp sensors used in 2009 GMC models.

usually the sending units get 5 volts from the computer and share a ground connection..   the temp variable resistor changes the amount of voltage sent to the ground circuit..  the computer looks at the left over voltage and takes that as a specific signal..

now.. because some of the ground side of these circuits are also grounded to the engine block..

if you have a bad ground connection on the several of them around the engine bay.. you could have enough stray voltage to burn things out..

do you own a digital volt meter..  if you don't you can get them from 5 to 20 bucks .. digital has numbers that change.. no needle swinging across..

print this..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Voltagedroptesting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

perform at least the 4 part version of that test and post results.

i have found so many ground issues on all kinds of cars and trucks.. i came up with this quick test..

post results by number

1.____

2._____

3.______

4._______  

Lsterling
Posted: 04/23/14 01:48 PM

Thanks for the input.  I will definitely look into the ground issue.  That makes even more sense when I consider the on and off functioning of my new sending unit.  

Lsterling
Posted: 04/23/14 01:51 PM

Thanks for the input.  I will definitely look into the ground issue.  It makes sense considering the on and off functioning of the sending unit  

TO TOP