Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Putting a 468 in my swb

85c10bigblock
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/01/14 12:13 PM

Got a few questions I'm hoping somebody that has already do this can help me out. I am building my first truck for speed. I bought a 1985 chevy swb. I was going to just build a little 350 for it but a buddy made me a deal I can't refuse on a 468bbc. It has a cam that is suppose to have a nice sized cam in it he said around 600ish but he's not sure it might be more of a 555 lift cam 108 lobe. Has oval port heads intake fresh rebuild. I am wanting to know what carb people have had the best results with I was lookin at a quick fuel or Holley 800 or 850. Also what trans have you had the best luck with. I bought a TH350 to build for the small block and have a mix opinions on if I should buy a 400 turbo or stick with the 350. I know a guy that ran a th350 behind a 600 hp 468 for 2 years with no problems. If I go with the 350 trans what hardened parts do I need and what other upgraded parts would you suggest? Thanks I have build mini trucks when I was a little younger but always wanted to build a nasty little street truck so all the advice I can get is appreciated  

joe-
Posted: 04/01/14 08:00 PM

the th400 will use a little more power before the rear wheels compared to the th350.  
  tough call, especially since you already have the th350.   is your crossmember and driveshaft already set up for your tranny?  theres like 3 different length 350s and 2 different 400s, if that matters.
    the carb choice may come down to how hard you want to spin the motor.  whats the planned redline?   what size exhaust do you plan on running?  
joe-

85c10bigblock
Posted: 04/02/14 08:54 AM

Not real sure on all the specifics all I have is the motor right now so I will be building the rest around the motor I'm planning on spraying it not a big shot made 175 to 200. The truck has a 700r4 right now so I'll have to get a drive shaft made regardless. I think I'm going to stick with the th350 I can get it built right and for the cost of parts only. I'll post my progress but I'm always open to hear suggestions for experienced guys that have done a few builds like this.  

TO TOP