Item Posts    Sort Order

gas in oil.

dsds33592
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/10/14 11:29 AM

Ive been working on my project jeep truck lately and it has a 75 chevy 350 in it. After replacing the fuel pump I rebuilt the carb and didnt set the float right. Well it flooded pretty bad so i set the float to where it should have been. After rebuilding the carb and reinstalling it the truck wouldnt start so i figured it was just flooded and it was too cold out to mess with it. So yesterday i went out and tried starting it but when i did it was smoking horrible and the oil pressure was low  well i pulled the dipstick to find it was way overfilled amd well since i didnt put any oil in i had to smell it and as i figured it smelled like gas. Could my flooding problem have caused this? Im only 14 and have kindof taken this project on by myself and as you can tell im not the best at troubleshooting just yet. any ideas?  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/10/14 01:22 PM

first... DO THIS IN A SAFE AREA.. not inside your garage..  gasoline and gasoline mixed with engine oil is dangerous and can cause explosions... guys.. he is 14..

also not under trees outside.. clear area..

drain your engine oil..   change the oil filter..

refill the engine oil...   crank the engine no more than 10 seconds at a time one minute between attempts until the oil pressure light turns out..

########

did you have any issues in replacing the fuel pump.. ?? there is a small chance that it was damaged..

i know you have already done it but i know a trick. to ease replace fuel pumps on chevy motors..

the engine needs to be on the #1 TDC compression stroke.. so either pull the #1 spark plug and bump the engine over until the compression comes out.. and then move the timing mark up ..

or pull the distributor cap and note the position of the #1 spark plug wire.. bump the engine around until the rotor is pointing in that direction..  this puts the eccentric lobe on the cam in the proper position for the push rod to be fully retracted..  

now.. with the battery disconnected.. when you are ready to install the fuel pump.. pull the engine oil dipstick. slide it straight down thru the opening and wiggle the dipstick end between the push rod and the cover.. this allows you to use the pump lever and push the dipstick which moves the push rod back and you can drop the pump in..  pull the dipstick out and insert the bolts..

this is a crazy easy way to install chevy fuel pumps..  make it easy..
why pull the battery cables.. because many chevys have the alternator right infront of where you are going to drop the dip stick straight down.. you don't want to short the dipstick to the battery wire on the back of the alternator.

Chevyfuelpumpinstall Zps7347c8d5

hacksaw blades work also.. but you have to go and find one of those.. the engine oil dip stick is always there..

why am i going thru all this..

because if you had trouble installing the fuel pump.. and i am hoping you used a new one..  it could be leaking internally..  filling the oil pan with almost gravity feed from the fuel tank..

what kind of tools do you have access to???

do you have one of the fuel pump pressure vacuum gauges???

Fuelpumpvacuumtester

or a brake bleeder  hand pump..

Brakebleedervacuumpump Zps3cb4f76e

this is the inside of the pump..

Fuelpumpdiaphragmcheckvalves

there are 2 check valves.. and a spring loaded diaphragm

when the diaphragm is pulled up.. the fuel is pulled thru the inlet check valve filling the cavity.. as the diaphragm is released spring pressure pushes down with enough force to create 5 pounds of fuel pressure. this pushes fuel thru the output check valve.

if the diaphragm is damaged during install..  the fuel can leak into the engine under some conditions..  there is a vent hole on the side of the pump to prevent this.. but it can happen..  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/10/14 01:38 PM

oh.. what to do with the pressure gauge or vacuum pump...

disconnect the fuel hose into the pump.. plug or pinch the hose closed with some needle nose vice grip pliers.  or just a bolt in the end..

attach the vacuum pump or gauge to the inlet..

crank the engine.. does it make over 20 inches of vacuum??? it should..  it should also hold it..

you can use your finger over the fuel pump inlet also.. but a gauge is better..

if the pump cannot create 20 inches of vacuum.. it might be suspect..

if your truck was parked at a nose down angle. where the fuel tanks were above the carb.. there is a chance of gravity feed pouring thru the needle and seat in the carb...

oh.. and you will probably need to change the spark plugs.. they are more than likely fouled..

the fuel in the oil probably went into the intake thru the PCV system and caused the smoke and the stalling of the engine...

you will also want to when you drain the oil thats contaminated with gasoline.. to figure a way to store it outside. away from your house..  where it won't get kicked over.. in a container with a vent.. so the gasoline can evaporate out of the oil before you take it to a parts store for recycling..  the gasoline vapors could be dangerous at the parts store .  

dsds33592
Posted: 03/10/14 01:42 PM

its a 69 jeep no oil pressure light just a gauge and the fuel pump install went perfect new pump went right into place and builds good pressure and keeps good pressure so doubtful thats the cause but still possible. I believe its from flooding the engine with incorrect carb adjustment is it possible?  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/10/14 01:44 PM

how much overfilled???  1/4" to 5/16" on the dipstick would be about a quart and a half of gasoline in the pan..

carb flooding could create significant fuel in the oil..  yes..  

dsds33592
Posted: 03/10/14 01:46 PM

about a quart and the fact i tried priming the motor with quite a bit of fuel... dumb move on my part  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/10/14 01:50 PM

you could also have created a hydraulic lock on top of the pistons and done damage there.

broken the ring lands... the piston area between the grooves that keep the rings aligned..

broken the pistons..

bent the connecting rods..

blown the head gaskets..

i was thinking of the reason it smoked and then stalled..  and now won't restart...

fouled spark plugs..

you might want to disconnect the power to the distributor.. so no sparks can be created and remove the spark plugs and crank it over for a few seconds with the spark plugs out.

why disconnect the ignition power.. so the ends of the spark plug wires don't create a spark as the compression comes up and some fuel sprays out of the open spark plug hole..

i did a compression test at a customers request while they were still in the car waiting for me to finish..  the car owner.. a state judge here in cal was turning the key for me.. her husband a lawyer was in the passenger seat..

i had all the spark plugs out for a proper compression test on their 73 caddy..  one of the wires lit the fuel flying out the open hole and created a nice flash of flame.  they both hollered.. that's enough wayne put it back together..  even after that i was their mechanic for another 10 years..  

dsds33592
Posted: 03/10/14 01:50 PM

im going to change oil and filter anyway cant really put that off and expect it to run very long  

dsds33592
Posted: 03/10/14 01:57 PM

it ran fine so not worried about any of that at this point and it starts first turn of the key so still not too worried and worse comes to worse have to buy a rebuild kit  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/10/14 01:59 PM

did you get the carb fixed..

please.. don't use teflon tape on the fluid connections..  it almost always gets into the needle and seat holding it open and flooding the engine???

do you have a quadrajet on it.. or something else??  

dsds33592
Posted: 03/10/14 02:01 PM

yes carb is spot on all the way down to air fuel mixture and no teflon tape its not household plumbing lol. yea it has a rochester 2g double barrel  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/10/14 02:06 PM

those are great carbs...  they still use them in some classes of circle track racing..

if you need more.. just post.. somebody will get you an answer..

you can use photobucket to post pictures.. and you tube to upload video..

there is also a site here called JPmagazine.. click my user name for a link to that site.. you have to access it thru fourwheeler now.. but there is a tab for jpmag on that front page..  

dsds33592
Posted: 03/10/14 02:08 PM

alright thanks!  

dsds33592
Posted: 03/15/14 09:10 PM

so i drained the oil changed the filter and filled it back up truck runs perfect now and maintains good oil pressure thanks for the help!  

TO TOP