Item Posts    Sort Order

hurst shifter problem

latimermichael88
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/01/14 08:55 PM

i have a 79 chevy c10 with a 350, saginaw 4 speed and a hurst shifter. i recently bought the truck. I was told there was a problem with the transmission and/or shifter. i pulled the tranny out, pulled the side cover and everything is in good shape. i installed new bushings on all the shift rods put the tranny back  in and on the first drive i had some problems shifing in the gears. at a stop sign i attempted to shift into first but it wouldent go. it was almost like it was stuck in 2 gears. after i was kinda rough with it it finally came out of gear. i drove it back to the house but was still having problems finding the correct gears. could somebody please point me in the right direction.  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/02/14 01:17 PM

if you can look at the 3 levers coming out of the bottom of the shifter.. you will find either a hole that goes thru all three and the shifter body.. this locks all three levers and the body in a perfect Neutral position..  you can now adjust the linkage lengths to also be in perfect neutral..

usually i pull the retaining clips and adjust the length so it slips into the hole perfectly..

you can see if you shift the image to the right with the slider below it that this model saginaw shifter uses a 1/4" rod..

0900C15280081035  

latimermichael88
Posted: 02/02/14 03:01 PM

OK so i just crawled under and put a bolt in the shifter to hold the rods in the correct position. i had to adjust 3rd-4th gear rod about 8 turns to get it right. i had to adjust 1st-2nd gear rod 2 turns to get it right. now the problem im having is when i shift back to neutral from 4th sometimes it will try to stay in gear. Also it wont go into 1st from a stopped position i have to shift from 2nd to get it to go into 1st.  

latimermichael88
Posted: 02/02/14 03:03 PM

OK so i just crawled under and put a bolt in the shifter to hold the rods in the correct position. i had to adjust 3rd-4th gear rod about 8 turns to get it right. i had to adjust 1st-2nd gear rod 2 turns to get it right. now the problem im having is when i shift back to neutral from 4th sometimes it will try to stay in gear. Also it wont go into 1st from a stopped position i have to shift from 2nd to get it to go into 1st. what should i do now?  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/02/14 08:03 PM

try again.. you are close..

you might end up needing to repair the shifter itself..

there are several articles spread around the magazines on shifters.

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/hppp_1110_competition_plus_shifter_install/

i know there are more articles out there in the many mags here.  

latimermichael88
Posted: 02/03/14 08:05 PM

ok so heres where in at. i pulled the shifter, drilled and tapped the holes for the stop bolts theraded the bolts in, bolted the shifter back in hooked up the linkages correctly. got in the truck, ran it through the gears and it was smooth like butter. then i start the truck run it through the gears and i have the same problem as before cant get 1st without going to 2nd and so on.  Confused  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 02/03/14 09:56 PM

from shifting to each gear and back to neutral.. can you insert the pin thru the shift levers without moving anything..?????

there are kits to rebuild your shifter..

the separator plates are replaceable.

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/wp-content/uploads/HurstRebuildForm.pdf

this kit is about 100 bucks i have not priced them around.. i have seen others..

Hur Mrk B 831 Detail

here is a video on it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDWB_XIwoak  

TO TOP