Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

'64 Impala SS fuel pump question

Mike_Nuke'em
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/03/14 11:40 AM

Hey guys! I'm extremely new on here (like a minute ago new). But I have a random question regarding my '64 Impala SS with a SB 327 (all original). I have a small leak coming from the body-to-bottom gasket of the fuel pump and was wondering if anybody knows the gasket thickness so I can replace it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Mike  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/03/14 03:55 PM

almost every parts store will have the 2 fuel pump mounting gaskets for a small block chevy.

Chevyfuelpumpinstall Zps3a928fe9

as for how thick.. these are usually under a buck each precut..  0.015 for the larger and 0.035 for the blue gasket would be a guess

say.. if you set the crank so the timing mark is aligned and the distributor rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire position. that positions the fuel pump eccentric at the best spot for fuel pump installation..   and a huge hint..   pull the engine oil dipstick.. disconnect the battery if the alternator is on that side.   stick the dipstick thru the top of the opening and inside the bottom of the opening.. you can wiggle it in front of the push rod.. so when you insert the fuel pump lever and push the dipstick back. you can drop the pump into place easily.. instead of needing to fight it..  

Mike_Nuke'em
Posted: 06/04/14 07:30 AM

Thanks! But I was more referring to this gasket (it's the one in the upper-righthand corner that looks like a "smiley face"):
http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/12-757/10002/-1

There's no information on the site. I guess I could call them and hope they can just give me the info.

I'll try that here soon...

-Mike  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 06/04/14 12:15 PM

that is a specific gasket for the holley performance fuel pump..

it can be ordered from almost any parts store..  and is far safer than making your own.. its your car.. but gasoline will burn.. and take your car with it..

if the fuel pump is leaking from the VENT hole drilled above the diaphragm sealing ring or screw flange.. replace the pump.. as the diaphragm is blown out..  fuel pumps fail from MTBE and/or Ethanol in the gasoline..

fuel pump are cheep..  

Holley performance fuel pump /Gasket replacement kit
Part Number: 12-757

a leaking fuel pump diaphragm can fill your crankcase with gasoline in a few hours of driving..   or can pump over a gallon an hour out under the car..  

Mike_Nuke'em
Posted: 06/05/14 12:31 PM

Yeah, I figured that I would just buy a whole new fuel pump in the end for all of those very reasons. Thanks for the replies and input.

-Mike  

TO TOP