Item Posts    Sort Order

Starting 1966 396SS BB Chevelle after 15 years of being parked

Jason Lane
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/07/14 11:39 AM

Hey everyone.  I just got my hands on my families 1966 Chevelle SS.  It's an all original SS coupe with 396BB motor, 325HP version.  It was also converted to HEI ignition system, so no points.

I was told that it was running the last time it was parked, but having some trouble.

Here's what I've done so far.

- I dropped in a new battery

- Hooked up a temporary fuel line from a gas can into the fuel pump since the tank is not in the car.

- Removed all plugs and squirted a few shots of oil in the cylinders to help get it moving.

- Replaced plugs

When I turn the key in the ignition, I get nothing. not a click, not a moan, nothing.  However, the accessories flcker.  Tach jumps, fuel guage moves, and radio turns on, so I know the battery is producing power to the electronics.

But I'm not getting starter motor to do anything.

I bought a Remote starter switch last night and intend on bypassing the ignition switch tonight when I get home to see if the I can get the starter motor clicking, but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for me to test, so I can get this thing started.

Are there any critical connections I need to check that might be corroded or disconnected to make the starter motor kick over?

Thanks!

- Jason  
Proud owner of a 1966 Chevelle 396SS diamond in the rough.  

TO TOP