Item Posts    Sort Order

Vortec heads

lit549
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/13/14 08:54 AM

Ok,im building a 355 roller engine as we speak.I have a set of 062 vortec heads that have tested crack free.My machine shop guy has suggested running comps beehive spring/retainer kit to avoid having to machine the spring pockets.Ive ran this combo on my current engine with a zz4 cam and its been fine.I did not use screw in studs and I think ive pulled a few studs ever so slightly as I have a lot of valve trane noise and a slight miss.So I have  a few questions,he says I should be fine with the press in studs,although we have not decided on what cam to run yet.Im sure its gonna be around .500-.525 lift,should I go ahead and run screw in studs(extra 200$) or pin them? Or just run the press in ones? Also,how about the spring kit?Should I just have the pockets machined? With this all being said,is there a aftermarket head(like summits) that yall know is a good head for around 750$?? Cause to do these right im looking at around 800$ Thanks in advance for any opinions..  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/13/14 03:43 PM

hang around.. you will get some answers...

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/0405cct_vortec_cylinder_heads_small_block_chevy/  

lit549
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/29/14 09:48 AM

Well,my machine guy said the press in studs would be fine for .525 lift cam with comp beehive springs.He builds alot of roundy round engines that buzz 7200 regularly with press in studs.He said where people screw up is when they clean the heads,and get em to hot and it loosens up the studs,so he makes sure to not get em too hot.He hasnt had a single one back out! And i know anyone running up front use this guy.With that being said im still scared to not run screw in studs even though itll never be revved above 6000rpm.If i can save the money and be safe i will,what would yall do??Thanks  

joe-
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/01/14 07:48 PM

personally, i'd get the screw-in studs,..especially if you think they're coming loose now.  

you bring up a good point though,...by the time you buy beehives, get screw-in studs, pay for machine work etc,...it might not cost much more to get some decent aluminum heads?   its probably a better road to go down if you can afford it.   maybe you can sell the vortecs to offset the cost of aluminum heads?  

for $750 budget you might try skip white or speedway motors.   if you can save a little more money, obviously you'll end up with better heads.  
joe-

HVAC_Joe
Posted: 04/11/14 04:43 AM

I would do screw in studs. I have a proform tool I am going to be using on my vortec heads soon for removing and tapping the studs my self. It looks like it is going to be way easy to do. I would also do the beehive springs and the 787 retainers. I am going to use the MR Gasket studs with out the shoulder just to make sure I don't have any clearance issues under the rocker arm. I have some LS6 blue springs I got that are just like the comp springs that were only $60 but if I did my math rite the seat pressure is going to be 127 LBs, on your roller cam it might be OK, I would not run that much on a street hydraulic flat tappet cam but these springs fit my 787 retainers perfect and if your on a budget might work for you.

How is that ZZ4 cam? I might run it in my motor. I am way undecided on a cam.  

HVAC_Joe
Posted: 04/11/14 04:46 AM

If you tap the studs your self and use the LS6 springs with the comp cams retainers you could do the whole thing for under $200  

TO TOP