Item Posts    Sort Order

1994 Silverado 383 stroker blows oil out dipstick and breather in valv

mgroff420
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/24/14 10:16 AM

Ok guys I posted here sometime ago trying to get this truck going now I got most of the bugs out and Im about ready to have cpu flash tuned but when I drive it more than just around the block I have oil coming out of dipstick rung down dtarter and burning off the exhaust. I took this truck apart and remember it had a 2 pcv setup. If I put another pcv in front of driverside valve cover where will it breathe?
Stock motor bored 30
hyper k pistons
newe service heads
edelbrock proformer cam 3702
new chain gears and bearing all around
edelbrock rpm intake
tb adapter plate and modified stock tbi w adj fuel press
edelbrock high rise valve covers
any help on how to stop oil from being pushed out will be greatly appricated  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/25/14 05:47 AM

first step.

compression test to see if you have a damaged piston.. rings or cylinder wall..

double check base timing.. either disconnect the timing connector as described on the emission label.. or slowly rotate the engine around in normal direction of rotation until the base timing mark lines up at the damper.  (i don't have my smog book handy that lists the base timing..)  pull the distributor cap and verify that the tips of the reluctor and the tips of the pick up coil align perfectly.. this is where static base timing should be.. just in case you don't have a timing light..

third

if the compression is equal between the cylinders and should be over 135PSi at idle..  let the truck come up to operating temp and the idle speed down to around 650 RPMs..   unplug the idle air control motor so the computer cannot change the idle speed..   pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover.. and block the flow.. you should have a drop of 50 to 70 RPMs if the PCV valve is properly sized..  this test usually requires a digital tachometer..  if you have less than 50 RPMs drop.. you need a pcv valve with a larger orifice..  if you have more than 70 RPM drop. you need a smaller orifice PCV valve.. how do you  tell.. look at the openings in the bottom and try several from different engines displacements in the same family..  you have a small block.. if you need to go bigger.. look at a 7.4/454 TBI pvc valve.. if you need to go smaller look for a 5.0 or 4.3L TBI

if you have one of the fuel pressure test gauges that is also a vacuum gauge.. hook it over the dip stick tube ... so you can measure the crankcase pressure..
Fuelpumpvacuumtester

block the crankcase vent opening with the engine idling..  you should start seeing vacuum on the vacuum gauge...

release and you should hear a POP noise..

here is a diagram showing the PCV in one valve cover and the crankcase breather in the other..

Y2kvortecvalcoverpcv Zps44b94b7d

the crankcase vent usually is routed into the inside of the air filter or can just be a plug in air filter into the valve cover hole..

Aid 775 W  

MRLSMAN
Posted: 03/26/14 09:17 AM

If you have engine oil coming out the dipstick tube that means that somehow cylinder compression is making its way into the oil pan. You most likely have a burnt ring in one or more of the cylinders. the only fix for this would be to rebuild the motor.  

MRLSMAN
Posted: 03/26/14 09:17 AM

If you have engine oil coming out the dipstick tube that means that somehow cylinder compression is making its way into the oil pan. You most likely have a burnt ring in one or more of the cylinders. the only fix for this would be to rebuild the motor.  

mgroff420
Posted: 03/27/14 11:20 PM

Ok my dumbass went right back to basic to figure this one out but I got it. After putting TBI spacer on it closed off my pcv port so... Put a T in at booster line and bam leak stopped wasn't venting at all so just too much head banging causes stupid errors but was interested in info about getting proper pcv because it is highly modified  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/28/14 09:37 AM

i hope you get this.. but in my personal opinion..

i would NOT want the PCV valve hooked into the power brake booster vacuum hose..

i would worry that the oil vapors might get thru the charcoal filter thats inline with booster  and ruin the booster..

just a thought..  

TO TOP