Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevy 350 TBI rebuild with performance on a budget, help!

hakno
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/18/14 11:28 AM

Hi guys,

I need some advice on how to rebuild my 1989 Chevy 350 TBI. I will use the engine on and off road, in a manual Willys Jeep CJ3A.

I am on a tight budget and my thoughts at this moment goes like this:
Ring and bearing kit.
Oil and Water pump.
Gasket kit and valve steam seals.
Ignition electronics.
Performance Cam.

I also intend to port the oem heads and intake, nothing spectacular. Just a cleanup.
Blockhugger hedders. A good flowing airfilter. Aftermarket chip.

What are your thoughts on this? I have never upgraded a TBI before, any thoughts or ideas are very much appreciated.

Thanks
hakno  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/18/14 07:06 PM

a few things about the TBI...

you will need at least ONE oxygen sensor.. at the collector..  if you go past very far.. you will need to use a 3 wire oxygen sensor from a 94/95 chevy truck 5.7 application. so it will be HEATED.. to give you optimal air fuel ratio feedback..

be sure to hook up all the ground wires..   battery negative to the engine.. and also to the inner fender .. engine block to the firewall..

the chevy TBI system only grounds to the intake.. be sure that those are in good shape.

as for a distributor..  look for a small cap reman usually from cardone.. it will have a different design reluctor and pickup coil.. a far better design than the OEM small cap ..  if your engine is equipped with a large cap.. just do cap.. rotor a stock coil and a new cap harness.. i can supply part numbers and images.. depending if you have a big or small cap.. the TBI has full electronic spark timing and that does involve the detonation sensors in the side of the block just above the oil pan.. and the flat box on the firewall..

there is a bunch more...

please.. check the throttle body shaft for play .. hold it partially open and wiggle the shaft.. if you have play.. ( O) (O )  you will have additional issues when you get it all back together..  

hakno
Posted: 01/19/14 08:44 AM

Thanks a lot, Wayne.

I will keep that in mind. I have no clue on what shape the engine is in, I was told it ran fine but the seller did not know the mileage. So I will have to go through the parts carefully.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts or suggestions on the rebuild i posted?  

BRI_ELE74
Posted: 01/19/14 05:34 PM

looking for a lub and sealer for head bolt threads  

BRI_ELE74
Posted: 01/19/14 05:37 PM

Icon Quotehakno:
Hi guys,

I need some advice on how to rebuild my 1989 Chevy 350 TBI. I will use the engine on and off road, in a manual Willys Jeep CJ3A.

I am on a tight budget and my thoughts at this moment goes like this:
Ring and bearing kit.
Oil and Water pump.
Gasket kit and valve steam seals.
Ignition electronics.
Performance Cam.

I also intend to port the oem heads and intake, nothing spectacular. Just a cleanup.
Blockhugger hedders. A good flowing airfilter. Aftermarket chip.

What are your thoughts on this? I have never upgraded a TBI before, any thoughts or ideas are very much appreciated.

Thanks
hakno

looking for a lub and sealer for cylinder head bolts  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/22/14 02:14 AM

lub for the head bolts??

i use hylomar on my head gaskets.. i have used hylomar on the threads of my head bolts.. i have also used silicone sealer on them.. i have also used staylube moly graphite assembly lube on the threads.. i always use a dab of the moly graphite assembly lube on the bottom side of the head bolt...  so it is free to turn when torquing the heads..  i also run a tap to the bottom of the threads on each of the head bolt holes in the block..

this is a response over at cc to a question similar to yours...

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_1004_1989_chevy_k2500_tbi_setup/viewall.html

interesting stuff.  

Kellyatticus
Posted: 01/28/14 05:08 PM

On the subject of tbi, does anyone know how to get rid of the system. It just gets my way. is there a way to put a carb on with the computer.  

TO TOP