Item Posts    Sort Order

4.3 Silverado

CJ-five
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/25/13 06:48 AM

Hi everyone. I need some help with my new 2013 Silverado. It's got a 4.3 and is gutless and drinks gas. Anybody got any ideas on how to pick up some extra torque and a couple more miles per gallon? any help would be appreciated  

wayne712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/25/13 07:37 AM

a few things you might try...

plug in a scan tool and check for codes..

then set up the scan tool to view live data stream and look at the short term and long term fuel trims...  some scan tools will graph the data streams and display them.. do your normal drive with the scan tool up in the front window if it will fit so you can see how deep into the percentages you drive the fuel trim away from Zero during your daily drive..

O2B2S1 Zps69fd0fbd

this is an image of the oxygen sensor readings at 2500 RPM.. try this while you drive also.. on the O2B1S1 or O2B2S1      oxygen sensor bank one or two.. sensor 1.. which is at the exhaust manifolds.. not after the cat..  make sure that you are not driving the throttle so deep that you are flat lining the sensor readings..

one other thing that effected some of the smaller gm SUVs..

can you see if the ac compressor is running when the system is not calling for cold..??? that was an issue on that other model.. that even when you called for hot air in defrost mode. the ac compressor ran..  really hurt the expected fuel economy.

and i am not talking about the belt going around .. but the face plate spinning ..

there was another fellow on a different forum..  he used his for concrete pumping.. had 200 feet of hose in the bed and a 2500 pound concrete pump he pulled.

did you install one of the tuners???

why bother checking for codes...

because most trucks probably have stability control systems programmed into engine  and drivetrain control...

if you have a wheel speed sensor.. or one of the other sensors failing..  or MISCALIBRATED..  it could be engaging the stability control system and dragging the brakes while you drive in an attempt to keep you from rolling the truck over..

worn tires on one end of the truck. or on one corner of the truck can also effect the sensor readings..  sometimes one needs to take a drive with a tech in the passenger seat checking the scan tool data streams during an extended test drive..

there is the ultimate swap.. but its going to be hard to make it run with a 2013 controller...

Used 1991 Gmc Syclone Turbo 5383 5890821 54 640  

dond1965
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/25/13 04:00 PM

put a gear vendors UNDER DRIVE behind the transmission, use it in under drive around town and as a gear splitter. out on the high way shift it into direct, and use the factory gearing for lower rpms on the high way. if you need more details please ask, i'll be happy to explain. a k&n air filter and flowmaster muffler will help also. all these mods will net you better in town fuel economy by the way.  

CJ-five
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/27/13 06:32 AM

Thank you guys for the help. I'll try your advise and hopefully get a couple more miles per gallon.  

dond1965
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 12/27/13 09:09 AM

glad to help  

TO TOP