Item Posts    Sort Order

how good is my engine and is it worth what I paid?

booger97
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/06/13 06:52 PM

My first car was a chevelle and since then I have been a SBC fan. That was 12 years ago and I just recently bought an engine but don't know how good it really is.

392ci with a 4.185 bore and 3.562 stroke.
Solid roller cam roller rockers stud girdles forged steel crank scat 6" rods world product 200cc heads hurricane intake arp bolts gear drive 8" sfi approved racing balancer internal balanced long push rods-roller springsĀ specs.600 lift solid roller lunati camlunati solid roller liftersgm steel crank offset groundscat I beam steel rodspete jackson gear drivehurricane super victor style intakeworld product 1-037 sportsman IIheads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust rollersprings steel retainers 10 degree locks 7/16 studs and guideplatesscorpion made in the usa aluminum roller rockers and stud girdlesforged small dome pistons 11.7 compression ratio8" sfi approved racing harmonic balancer and flexplaterotating assembly is internal balancedmellings oil pump hv+.100 chromoly ush rodsblock is 817 400 2 boltI paid 2500 for this engine just built has break in time. They said should push 500hp. My question is if it is worth $2500 and pros and cons to the engine? What else can I do to it to get more power?  

Ravoll
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 05/07/13 10:10 PM

To find out what it's worth,it might need to be installed and run. The first thing I'd do is drop the pan and have a look at some bearings.See if I have any ground up, broken parts. $2500 sounds a little low to have all that you've listed,for just being built with only break in time.The parts alone cost more.

Pros and cons depends on your application.Driving around town you will probably never see 500 "H.P.". At the track... maybe , providing you have a drive train to handle it,and your 2 bolt main holds up.Looking at the cam lift,heads and intake,your 500 HP probably won't be there till around 4500 rpm,or higher.If it even produces 500 HP.Did you get any torque figures with this engine? "Should push 500 HP",is not the same as, "It pushes 500 HP".

Just my skeptical opinion.  
The older I get,the faster I was.

Christopherthao
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/10/13 04:27 AM

Take a compresion test and make sure about your engine output while it is out from your vehicle  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 05/14/13 12:19 AM

You have some stout parts! I would do a tear down and refreshen the engine. Replace what needs to be replaced and go hammer on it...

Bob  

TO TOP