Item Posts    Sort Order

carbon fiber hood designs.

joshcanfield
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/29/13 10:06 PM

Hello,

so I have decided to try my hand at making a carbon fiber hood for my el camino. Before I get started I would like to make some add ons to the hood.

I would like to  use ram air to help with engine cooling. (As a sorta second addition/back up kinda thing). My engine cools just fine. Buy I plan to add headers and I am still working on building the engine. I live in the south east corner of alabama. So its humid and hot during the summer.

So I didn't know what route to go with the design. Cowl? Louvers? Scoops?. I don't plan to use the hood for a cold air or ram air intake into the carb. Just increase air flow over the engine.

Any suggestions would be great thanks.  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/01/13 12:37 AM

first off what kind of car body is this going on???

there are all kind of fiberglass hoods available now...

there are also carbon fiber films that can be layed over to make it look like CF..

lets look at some of the issues you have posted..

engine cooling... do you mean ram air thru the radiator..  thats handled by creating flaps that prevent the air flow from going over the top of the radiator core support.. its also handled by rubberized flaps around the radiator opening.. so any air thru the grill is directed thru the radiator..  air dams directly under the radiator core support helps this as it builds up a pile of higher pressure air in front of the core support and lower the pressure behind it to aid in getting air thru the radiator..

if you are worried about the heat soak..  well.. you really don't want hot air coming out of the hood thru louvers.. or openings.. you will get oil and hot air all over the windshield.. you want it going under the car..

there are several articles spread out in the magazines about laying up carbon fiber components..  

you can .. use layers of foam sheathing  from the building centers to build up areas you want to increase over a stock hood...  so it makes it easy to carve..

one you get it to the desired rough shape.. build with bondo.. or other to get the final shape...

now.. since you are working on a stock unbent hood.. with multiple layers of one side sticky plastic protecting fenders and other parts..  think the window protectant film from the home centers when you want to spray paint rooms..

no that you have your perfect shape... time to make a mold off it..  so you can lay up the new hood into the mold..  

joshcanfield
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/01/13 02:03 AM

So I tried to draw out what I am explaining.

I apologize for the size of the image I uploaded it via phone to imageshack and could not get it to resize.

9J6y

The car is a 1982 chevy el camino.

Red ink = louvers. Air flows through radiator and out the bottom and out of the gap between the hood and the windshield. But if I placed the louvers over the valve cover area would it cause more air to be directed over the engine around the valve cover/exhaust area?

Green ink = scoop. Air flows over hood and is directed down on to the top of the engine and flows down out the bottom and out the gap between the hood and windshield.

Pink ink = cowl. I don't even know how the air flow is created.

So the reason I post this is to figure out what if any would cause better air flow over my engine to use the ram air blow away the exerted heat.

The whole construction I do plan to use the fiber glass/carbon fiber layered. Idea. But I am trying to get the design down before I start tackling the construction. I don't know anything about aerodynamics besides that air flows from hight dense areas to lower dense areas.  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/01/13 04:37 AM

front opening scoops on hood..

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/gear/163_1001_product_spotlight_ansani_designs_induction_hood_for_2007_present_jeep_jk_wrangler/photo_01.html  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 10/01/13 04:49 AM

this is the article i was looking for..

http://www.circletrack.com/ultimateracing/ctrp_9902_carbon_fiber_basics/viewall.html

a great read...  

TO TOP