Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Sbc has good oil pressure but not oiling rockers

C10chevyman83
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/29/13 07:49 PM

First post on here
I bought a 83 c10 about 4 months ago and it was running great. I don't know much about the engine because I didn't build it unfortunately. It's got a mild cam to it. I noticed the valves were loud so I pulled the cover and found out it was getting virtually no oil. It holds a steady 60 psi at cold idle on oil pressure gauge. Some people I've talked to said it spun a cam bearing but would it still have good oil pressure? Please let me know what y'all think it is.
Thanks
-mike  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/29/13 09:27 PM

where is the oil pressure gauge... and does it actually work.. or just stay pinned???

since most chevy oil pressure sending units are mounted at the top of the passage next to the distributor.. and the lifter galleys are feed only by the rear cam bearing.. if the feed to the rear cam bearing bore got clogged.. you could end up with no oil to the lifter galleys and a spun rear cam bearing because of lack of lube..

take your oil filter off.. and use something like an oil filter cutter... and examine the pleated filter media.. when one revs the engine with COLD oil..  the pressure can be TOO high for the oil filter and bypass to flow.. some oil filters are not very well supported.. they can collapse and break up..  going into the oil galleys and clogging things...  sorry.. it almost sounds like it would be a good thing to TEAR DOWN the engine...

Sbcoilingdiagramclear Zps0c7eade2  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/29/13 09:31 PM

could the main galley have gotten something that blocked the passage into the rear cam bearing.. you are going to have a serious issue..

Sbcoilpassagesrearanglepassage Zpsa2408c1a

Rearcambearingsbcoiling Zps45a8d337  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/29/13 09:58 PM

this is on a MUCH newer engine.. where the filter media collapsed..

Filtercloggedmains

please... take a 16" or 18" long piece of 2x4.. drill 16   One inch diameter holes in it...  8 per row...

|88888888|  marked front and rear.. this allows you to remove the lifters and place them IN ORDER.. if the engine is not damaged.. you can reassemble the lifters back into the exact same locations..

hang out and see what some of the other guys say....  

C10chevyman83
Posted: 08/30/13 07:55 AM

The gauge is good. I checked that. The engine hasn't been over revved or had a lack of oil. It just seem to of happen all of a sudden. Thinking about pulling the motor today and then going from there
Thanks guys  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/30/13 12:38 PM

one thing... thats kinda oil related...

since you are going to tear it at least part way down..   please invest in an  melling or other brand IS-55E OIL PUMP  drive shaft with the steel collar.. they are amazingly in stock in most parts stores if you ask for it by part number...  under $10 bucks..

please.... CUT THE OIL FILTER OPEN BEFORE REMOVING THE ENGINE ......

you can... remove the distributor... borrow a oil priming tool....   remove the oil sending unit and spin the priming unit to verify oil flow......

with a wire... check the DEPTH of the oil divert plug down the oil pressure hole.. should be exactly 8.5 inches down from the top of the block...

the reinstall the oil sending unit...

if you have the proper tool... remove the plug in the back of the block that goes down at an angle.. to the main galley..  check that with some wire to check for clog..... spin the oil pump priming tool... do you get oil flow from there???

lastly... you might want to pull the timing cover and then the front cam sprocket..

check the oil galley plugs at the front of the block...

once in a while.. they blow out.. and all your oil pressure would be lost from the lifter galley.. would it be lost from the main galleys? the passage to the lifter galleys is smaller than the passage to the main galley...  

there  are OIL GALLEY brush sets available from a lot of different suppliers..

auto parts stores...  napa stores... speed shops..  

C10chevyman83
Posted: 08/30/13 08:22 PM

Alright man thanks. Ill check the oil filter in the morning and then pull the motor if I don't find anything. Thanks again. Ill let you know what I find.

Thanks
-mike  

TO TOP