Item Posts    Sort Order

engine kickback

ducky65
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/15/13 08:08 AM

i've got a 350 bored 60 over with about 5000 miles on it. recently it started kicking back and grinding while trying to start.i've changed the starter and flywheel and its still doing it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/15/13 09:32 AM

pull the distributor cap...

grab the rotor.. give it a twist against the advance springs.. let go.. grab it again and see if it was free to return to the stop...

if it hangs up in the advanced position and they do.. it will kick back...

other things that can cause it to kick back...

worn out ignition switch.. an easy test depending on which ignition system you have.. i normally use a 12 volt testlight or circuit tester. put the clip onto the coil positive. and shove the tip of the probe into something to ground it.. but in a location where i can see it from the drivers seat..

slowly turn the key to the ON position.. the light should come on..   crank the engine.. the light should stay on.. release the key back to the run position..
you should not have any drop outs.. if the bulb goes dark at any point from the time you first turned the key to on.. while cranking and back to the ON position. you have a worn or burned ignition switch.. please post year.. make, model.. ignition system type..

bad battery connections to the engine/starter...

got a digital volt meter..??

start the engine.. turn on the headlights.. set digital volt meter to 20 volts DC..

1.  Negative battery post to the positive battery post.. 14.1 to 14.8 volts

2.  Negative battery post to the engine block.. 0.04 volts DC MAX..

3.  Negative battery post to the body.. 0.02 volts DC max..

4.  Engine block to the body... 0.02 volts  DC max..

post results by number..

this test only takes about 2 minutes to perform..   run test 2 and 3 with the engine cranking.. less than 1.0 volts while cranking..

got a set of jumper cables.. hook them from the negative battery terminal to the engine block and see if it cranks better...

the tests above will help...

there are more things that could also be bad.. please post year.. make .. model.. ignition system type.. points, HEI.. other..

and on chevys.. you will want to make sure the last 2 wires on the drivers side are separated by more than an inch.. no tie wraps bunching them all together.. the high voltage going down the #5 spark plug wire can create a spark in the #7 wire and cause that one to fire 90 degrees early and that will make it kick back like crazy..  

ducky65
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/16/13 10:22 AM

it was the distributor sticking put a new one in works great now.thanks for the advice  

TO TOP