Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

fuel line type and brand

blanknova
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/01/13 01:33 PM

Hey guys one of the few last steps in the new engine/partial restoration is upgrading my 5/16" stock fuel line to 1/2". Im just curious if there is a recommended brand people seem to have good results with and if aluminum is the best type to go with. Im just running pump gas, N/A motor that will produce around 600hp and torque.

thanks!  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 04/01/13 04:28 PM

Blanknova

Yeah Aluminum is great to work with and comes in various sizes. I have used 1/2" Aluminum Tubing for fuel line since the 1970s. Thats on my race cars. You can insulate it also.
  If it were brake line I would say spend the extra few bucks and go Stainless Steel.
  But using Aluminum is just great for a fuel line. Good Luck....

Bob  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 04/01/13 04:29 PM

Blanknova welcome to Super Chevy.

Bob  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/01/13 08:26 PM

since you have not mentioned which year Nova you have...

are you aware that several brands of fuel tank pickup/sending unit assemblies come with either 5/16 or 3/8 pick up tubes... there are more options that have additional return lines..

and on select models.. you might find one for 1/2" fuel line..

lastly... please be sure to use mounting brackets that have a LINER to prevent the aluminum fuel line from rubbing against metal.. as its soft it will run thru...

you will also want to think about where you are installing the fuel line under the car... so it does not become crushed by errant floor jacks or jack stands... or.. bottoming out on the road someplace...

some professional plumbing suppliers or really good hardware stores may stock 1/2" aluminum tubing ...  its used to repair ovens and heaters once in a while..  its designed to be used with 45 degree SAE flares.

if you have the fuel tank out.. or the sending unit out.. and its a steel tank...  toss in at least ONE super magnet.. make sure it falls to the bottom of the tank away from the sending unit arm..

so any sediment either from the gas stations or the fuel system stick to the magnet.. and don't go thru the fuel system..

there are HIGH flow fuel filters from Fram... that can be installed back by the tank without restriction..

Framhpg1  

blanknova
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/06/13 11:22 PM

alright thats great, I have a 1970 nova, and I will insulate the brackets. I will remove the tank and have it cleaned before I install the lines and probably replace the pickup with one that has a 1/2" line if i can find one and use one of those filters in the back so I dont have one up near the motor, unless its recommended to use 2 filters?  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 04/07/13 07:42 AM

this one has a 3/8 tube..

this is the return line version for 69 camaros..

i have seen larger bore versions as i recall.. but you could also modify them by adding an additional tube thru the plate..  

these filters have enough flow for most applications..  there are people who run them in parallel.  

TO TOP