Item Posts    Sort Order

Help!

Redstrada
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 08/11/13 07:53 PM

So today I tried to switch out a blown brake line only to discover that the "bolts" on either end of my 3/16 break line are different sizes. Yes, I'm a girl with no experience seeking the right part for my 96 Chevy blazer 4 door/ 4 wheel drive BEAST. Does this sound normal? Or have I somehow disconnected two different lines. I traced it with my fingers and was 99.9% certain I had the right line. However I only took off both ends rather than trying to unbolt the entire line. Any part suggestions ? Again, I'm a newby and have already lost my mind on this simple project. Basically just need to be reassured there is an appropriate replacement without having to flange a new line.sos!!!!  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/11/13 08:22 PM

hard lines may have different thread sizes on the ends. to make improper connection impossible..

which line did you disconnect??

rigid lines are brake lines..

flexible hose are brake hoses..

just to keep the confusion to a minimum..  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/11/13 08:33 PM

perhaps this will help...

96Blazer4dorbrakelines Zps0c9846fb

there are short lines available to adapt to the end of long lines to make things fit..
there are also adaptor fittings to adapt any of the various thread and flair type ends to other threads and flair type fittings..  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/11/13 08:43 PM

dorman products...

weatherhead fittings

AGS

all these companies supply various brake fittings and components for repairs..

these are usually used by professional mechanics who know fitting sizes and types..

you will want to at least download the catalog on the upper left in this link...

http://www.agscompany.com/marketing/catalogs

there are several companies.. that supply prebent and flared replacement tubing sections..  usually in stainless steel..

if you decide to do the bending on your own.. you will want to visit a harbor freight store for 2 items...

1/8" to 1/4" Tube Bender  Item #94571

Tube Bending Pliers  Item #95782

use care.. and brake tubing if kinked is useless.. and a fresh piece is cheaper than a crashed car.. or worse..  

Redstrada
Posted: 08/11/13 08:59 PM

It's definitely not a hose... Steel line. The hole in it was due to rust and it was located right near the bolt that attached it behind the drivers side wheel. So I got that bolt off and the fragile two inches of break line above that, just basically snapped off. I felt the line all the way to whee the other end connected to 52 on the diagram u posted. So I disconnected that bolt. I planned to just leave the old line and thread a new one to the open recipticals. So I went town auto parts store and picked up a new line that was 3/16 ths in diameter. And I bought a tool to bend the rod without crimping it. When I went to reattach each end, I realized the bolts own the generic line were not the same size as the original. The connector for 52 is shorter and wider than the other end. Even though the diameter of the replacement line matches the line that rusted out. Sorry if my   mechanical vocab is weak. Recently separated and want to prove to myself that I can do this!!!! Even if it makes me look a bit ignorant with regard to the inability to use proper terminology. I'm open to learning!  

Redstrada

It's definitely not a hose... Steel line. The hole in it was due to rust and it was located right near the bolt that attached it behind the drivers side wheel. So I got that bolt off and the fragile two inches of break line above that, just basically snapped off. I felt the line all the way to whee the other end connected to 52 on the diagram u posted. So I disconnected that bolt. I planned to just leave the old line and thread a new one to the open recipticals. So I went town auto parts store and picked up a new line that was 3/16 ths in diameter. And I bought a tool to bend the rod without crimping it. When I went to reattach each end, I realized the bolts own the generic line were not the same size as the original. The connector for 52 is shorter and wider than the other end. Even though the diameter of the replacement line matches the line that rusted out. Sorry if my   mechanical vocab is weak. Recently separated and want to prove to myself that I can do this!!!! Even if it makes me look a bit ignorant with regard to the inability to use proper terminology. I'm open to learning!  

Redstrada

Redstrada
Posted: 08/11/13 09:04 PM

Now I just have to learn how to delete when I accidently post the same thing 3 times!!! Uggghhh  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/11/13 09:42 PM

052 **607227 NUT,INV FLD TUBE,1/2"-20THD,3/16 TUBE,ZP(FRT BRK PIPE)(4.685)

so the thread size is 1/2-20 inverted flair .  

you will need this short adaptor tube

Poly-Armour Catalog No.PAA-R350

Standard Catalog No. BLA-R350

Edelmann No.338STA

you will need a 3/8 inverted flair union to connect these two pipes...

i am hoping i have it correct...

lets try the GM parts list.,.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?Make=Chevrolet&Model=Blazer&Year=1996&MakeCode=LC&ModelCode=T&CatalogCode=54S&SubModel=4WD&RPO=X88&eCode=L35&tCode=M30&mCode=CT10506&majorIndexID=04&SupplGroup=99&minorIndexID=TS04-513&SortKey=120  

waynep712222
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/11/13 09:56 PM

by the way.. i am confused... which wheel does this go to???

left front..

right front..

rear wheels..????

its hard for me to tell by just reading your description..

you can also use a combo wrench over the tubing its going to be either 3/16 or 1/4".. since a lot of wrench sets use 1/4" wrenches.. if its loose on the line its 3/16

you can also use a combo wrench on the thread of the tube nut..

3/8-24 is one size
7/16-24
1/2-20 are other sizes..
once in a while one runs into 9/16 and 5/8 fittings..

by the way.. after posting.. because of some kind of error at the server where these forums come out of..  click the active posts link after you post.. sometimes two or three times before you can see what you just posted...  

98LS1FlawleSS
Posted: 08/15/13 04:38 PM

Could you post/repost a picture? That's usually a ton more helpful in identifying a part.  

TO TOP