Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Please help Can I carb convert my LT1 2nd gen

Warpedtek
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 03/16/13 05:16 PM

So I picked up a 2nd gen LT1 out of a impala ss and now have it stripped down in my garage and have a lot of questions but my first is how do I fix the problem with the big hole in the timing chain cover from the distributor also the threads going into the crank are a Little stripped what should I do.  
My religion is Chevy

Warpedtek
Posted: 03/16/13 06:19 PM

Please help  
My religion is Chevy

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/16/13 08:52 PM

welcome to the forums...  hang on... someone will have an answer for you sometime this weekend.   if its possible..

i have not tried what you are doing..  

why not add some info to what you are planning..

perhaps some images.. post them at photobucket.. and use the img links to paste here.

if you are really careful...  you can run a TAPERED tap into the end of the crank to clean up the threads.. this has to be done with skill.. so you don't end up cutting a second set of threads..

or... since more than likely its 7/16-20....   you might be able to just take it right to 1/2-20..  AGAIN .. with skill so the threads are cut straight and centered..  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 03/17/13 02:39 PM

Welcome aboard:

Are you still able to get the Vin from the Impala SS. The 8th digit should be a (P). I think the hole you are referring to in the timing chain is where the drive shaft for the water pump goes.

FYI: The water pump is driven off the cam. You maybe missing the complete front of the engine.

The distributor sits on the crank pulley. So if that is missing you may want to hang around as Wayne said. Hopefully someone can give some insight.

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 03/17/13 02:54 PM

Warpedtek

The hole I'm speaking of is a splined shaft. It's maybe a 3/8ths diameter shaft.

Watch the Duraspark ignitions on those LT1's. They hurt (NO CHIT). A State Trooper drove his cruiser in the dealship, and it was arching so bad, the engine sounded like it had spun a rod bearing. The spark was actually jumping to the A-ARM from the #1 spark plug.... Approx 10" away from the crack.

Bob  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/17/13 08:38 PM

i found several sites.. when i googled LT1 carb conversion...

one listed a bunch of parts that are needed to convert it...

www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/showthread.php?t=1952  

Warpedtek
Posted: 03/21/13 05:11 AM

Awesome thanks. I work like 14 hrs a day and don't get time to often to come to this site but I love Chevys to the soul. I actually am putting this engine in a 85 ford f150 do to I am stuck with it cause my wife inherited it from her grandpa so I'm gonna debadge it and give it a heart beat. In honor of the shermanator her grandfather. I know people usually look down on this but I have no choice. Pics will come soon  
My religion is Chevy

pepsi1
Posted: 03/21/13 05:57 PM

Warpedtek
Your upgrading, not debadging it. It will go faster you'll see.

Sometime when you go to the track, check out the faster Mustangs (Most have Chevy small blocks in them).

You know what FORD stands for.

Flip Over and Read Directions

Found On Road Dead

Freakin Old Rebuilt Dodge and Theres others. Grin  Cool  

Wayne has you started in the right direction, you ask all the questions you need to.

Bob  

Warpedtek
Posted: 03/21/13 06:10 PM

Thanks you guys are awesome  
My religion is Chevy

redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 03/23/13 06:09 AM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
Warpedtek
Your upgrading, not debadging it. It will go faster you'll see.

Sometime when you go to the track, check out the faster Mustangs (Most have Chevy small blocks in them).

You know what FORD stands for.

Flip Over and Read Directions

Found On Road Dead

Freakin Old Rebuilt Dodge and Theres others. Grin  Cool  

Wayne has you started in the right direction, you ask all the questions you need to.

Bob

Ford Fail
Grin  

Ravoll
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 03/24/13 09:42 AM

First On Race Day..oops sorry wrong forum Grin  
The older I get,the faster I was.

emmettpwhise
Posted: 09/15/13 02:24 PM

lt1 carb swap just completed and running like a monster im my 77 monte carlo. VERY VERY HARD TO TUNE. i used a road deamon carb and a new dizzy from accell with a 45 thousand volt coil gaped the plugs at a nickle found top dead with the dipstick stuck into no 1 and rolling the motor by hand had to drop the dizzy about twento times till i got it in the sweet spot used a corrected cap to make wiring easy left the stupid opti spark in its place untill i do a cam. it makes crazy vacume in the valve covers dont know why and it seems to need some light springs put in the dizzy because after many many runs and adjustments there seems to be no real nice sweet spot its all power or just lazy with a sputter that doesnt ever quite go away. also having a issue with 18 or more volts coming out of the alternator and am unsure how to hook up the four prong system. many little issues to attend to but its WORTH IT i have about 1000 in this motor and when i set the dizzy to go and open up the carb it eats the tires. im interested in any comments in this department and im thimking about finding somewhere to tune my dizzy i realy think that will make this motor close to 400 hp a solid 350 im using a iron head block hoping it lasts for 100k  

TO TOP