Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

The Bare Minimum

joshcanfield
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/05/13 06:29 PM

Hello this is my first post on this forum,
I have a 1982 Chevy El Camino. I purchased this recently and the wiring is a total rat's nest, open wires everywhere.

http://s1281.beta.photobucket.com/user/joshcanfield/media/IMAG0084_zpsef2c758c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Can I eliminate old obsolete/unnecessary components from the wiring harness to free up some mess?

I like to rewire new things, so I am not worried about reusing an old hot wire for  aftermarket items, I would rather get rid of the old and install a new.

any advice would be great thx  

68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 02/06/13 08:02 AM

Yes, you can remove wires that are not being used, Remove the connecter pins from the harness connector to make a clean, professional appearing job.

Make sure to use the proper size wire to feed your aftermarket items, if you don't, there will be problems. Bigger wire is always better than smaller wire.

Here's you pic, makes it easier for the rest to see what you're talking about.
IMAG0084 Zpsef2c758c  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

Serpico
Posted: 02/06/13 09:10 AM

Get Painless's catalog. They can fix you up. If you just want to rewire under the hood, the cabin, or the entire car they can fix you up. Tongue

Bob AKA pepsi1  

joshcanfield
Posted: 03/10/13 04:15 PM

I ordered the shop manual and the electrical trouble shooting books for my car. I have traced several of these wires and was curious if I can bypass them. none of them are even connected and the car runs very well with out these components.

A few of the components are:
Vacuum sensor
Electric spark timing
Throttle Position sensor
O2 sensor
and Air Control Valve

I know most of this is related to the Computer command control system, is it possible to bypass this computer or is that ill advised.

A little more about my car I had a rebuilt 1973 350 put in and the carb was made in 1978 it is a rochester dual jet.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 03/11/13 06:43 AM

if that is the mess of wires.... don't cut them...  since you have removed the feed back system... from what i understand..

get under the dash board... passenger side..  unplug the computer....  unplug the connector on the computer harness that goes over to the dash board area...    find the area where the computer harness passes thru the firewall.. there is a U shaped plastic retainer clip to remove around the plastic elbow that is sticking thru the firewall... with the U shaped clip off.. the entire wiring harness comes out in one piece... store it with the removed carb and EST type HEI distributer..

there were ground wires to this harness bolted to the back of the cylinder heads or to the mounting bolts of the carb...

you can probably measure the elbow size where it went thru the fire wall and find a snap in  metal plug for filling openings in electrical boxes at the hardware store.. if you can find the right size.. seal it with a little silicone ..  

joshcanfield
Posted: 03/11/13 07:46 AM

ok so If I do remove the computer, will my car run horribly? If These components are needed I can properly wire them, again that is if they are needed. Although I would like to just get rid of all the extra wiring if it doesn't help my car run better.  

waynep71222
Posted: 03/11/13 02:34 PM

I have a 1982 Chevy El Camino. A little more about my car I had a rebuilt 1973 350 put in and the carb was made in 1978 it is a rochester dual jet.

wayne wants to see and ask more...

since this is a 1978 carb... the first feed back carbs here in california were on 1978 models.. is yours a Feedback carb???  where it has a connector next to the passenger side front carb mounting bolt...  3 wires into the driverside front... perhaps a motor with a plunger on the driver side throttle linkage??? it will have 4 wire..

does the HEI have a VACUUM advance..

the FULL FUNCTION computer controlled HEI  does NOT have a vacuum advance.. it will have an additional 4 wire connector coming out the side of the distributer away from the 3 wires that go up to the under side of the cap...  there are NO SPRINGS and weights under the rotor..

the Vacuum advance HEI has a vacuum advance.. under the rotor springs and weights..

if you are operating the car in a location where you have to SMOG test the car.. you are probably going to have an issue already...

one last thing.. the right hand exhaust manifold has something that looks like a vacuum advance on it.. its vacuum controlled by a thermal vacuum switch in the intake manifold or thermostat housing.. that has to be properly hooked up.. so there is NO vacuum on a really COLD start.. but as soon as the coolant temp reaches 105F... it should get vacuum and open the trap door .. if it is just disconnected.. it is spring loaded closed.. diverting all the exhaust gas flow across under the intake and out the other side..

post some more pictures...

if you DON'T have a feed back carb... you don't need the computer...  the electronic spark timing won't operate properly if the carb is disconnected..

what i described in UNPLUGGING and removing the harness... DOES NOT INJURE the harness.. you can easily reinstall it... thats why i said to store it with the feed back carb and the EST HEI...

these engines are removed and installed with the computer harness INSTALLED On the engine... as you are about to mate the engine to the transmission.. the ECM plugs end of the harness are pushed thru the firewall and the elbow clip is installed..  

waynep71222
Posted: 03/11/13 02:36 PM

post as many pictures as you can... and any questions as i understand these feedback systems really well..  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 03/12/13 12:18 PM

Like I said earlier when you posted, purchase a painless under hood wire harness. It will do possibly 3 things for you.

1.Definatley clean the engine bay up

2.Make trouble shooting a lot easier

3.Maybe help your sanity. Believe me I wish they had replacement harnesses back in the day!!!! Grin  Cool

Bob  

wally0143
Posted: 03/13/13 03:14 PM

It may be helpful to get a look at another car like yours. Maybe at a boneyard? seeing a put together example of what you are trying to sort out can really work wonders.  
Nobody knows everything but everybody knows something

joshcanfield
Posted: 03/15/13 07:29 PM

I am not looking into just replacing the missing wires. I am looking into Removing and or bypassing unneeded components. The carb has no electrical connections beside the chock. I live in alabama so I am not overly concerned with the emissions control.

Carb  

TO TOP