Item Posts    Sort Order

Wiper motor wiring

Lthomas6615
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 12/03/12 07:43 AM

I have a x40-142 wiper motor in a 1969 Chevelle. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for it  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 12/03/12 04:00 PM

do you need a wiring diagram for the whole car.. or just how to hook up the wiper motor??

in wiper motors...

one wire has power on when the ignition key is turned on...   that supplies power so the motor will park the blades when you turn off the wiper switch.. but still have the key on..

the windshield wiper switch has 3 wires on it...

light blue
black
dark blue..

the light blue and the black wire controls the motor..

the dark blue wire  is the control wire for the windshield washer pump.

same colors to the motor...
with an addition of a yellow wire to the motor.. that is the power supply wire to the motor...

what is unexpected..  is.. to get the wiper motor or the washer solenoid to engage... the wiper switch has to GROUND either the light blue or the black wire  NOT BOTH.. as far as i know...

to get the washer pump to operate... you have to ground the dark blue wire..

once the wiper motor starts rotating.. and there is power to the yellow wire... and the wiper motor is grounded through the brass strap at one of the mounting bolts..   the wiper motor will continue until the park switch cuts power... and it comes to a rest...

some motors have a retract the wipers function. where the wiper motor will come to a stop.with the blades down.. then the motor will run backwards for a second or so.. this moves a rotary device that allows the wipers to retract below the cowl panel and out of site.. i don't know if yours is one of these with the retract function...  

waynep71222
Posted: 12/03/12 04:07 PM

wiper switch.._________________________________wiper motor

light blue........................................................  light blue   motor

blacK............................................................... black      motor

dark blue......................................................... dark blue   washer pump

wiper fuse, yellow wire.......................................yellow  power to motor and washer pump.

wiper switch is grounded. through the dashboard..

wiper motor is grounded through the brass strap on the mounting foot.  

Lthomas6615
Posted: 12/03/12 08:31 PM

There is a blue wire and a yellow wire and then a separate wire running from the fuse box to the third prong. Then it jumps to what I assume is the washer pump with 2 yellow wire hooked together and a blue wire. I bought this car from a guy and I don't believe it is wired correctly because it didn't work. When I tore the dash out yikes!! what a wiring nightmare. might have to buy a new wiring harness but since it probably is not the original wiper motor it may not match the wiring. Any suggestions on where to find a reasonably priced harness or how I can jump wires to test the motor to see if it works? Just a girl and don't know much about wiring a wiper motor, did alot of reading about the grounding of the wiper switch. Whom ever rewired this car didn't even run the wires from the fuse box to the corect position, Both sides of the fuse in the box to the approriate spot have no power and the wires running to the prongs also have no power.  

waynep71222
Posted: 12/04/12 08:23 AM

Wipermotor

this explains it also...

http://www.nthtechnologies.com/cars/articlefromray.htm

when you look at the image on the link above...  

the shunt coils shown to the left side are the motor windings...

what looks like a motor in the middle is actually the brushes and the armature...  

Lthomas6615
Posted: 12/04/12 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to bypass the fuse block and try to see what happens if power is hooked direct to the battery according to the drawing. I'll let you know wht happens. I think part of the problem is there is no power coming out of the fuse block.  

BigSmiler
Posted: 06/08/14 05:18 PM

I know this a 1-1/2 year old question, but I must offer some new information.  This can help someone who checks this forum question in the future.  I finally got the wipers running for a 1970 Chevy C-10.  “Lthomas6615” had a ’69 Chevelle and the systems are probably similar.
FIRST: everyone with wiring questions AND answers must realize that not all cars are alike, and one year to decades later can be completely different.
--My ’70 Chevy has its original wiper motor.  I bought a new general-purpose wiper switch and followed its advice on how to wire it… and that completely fouled me up.  What I learned is that on MY system, the first switch position (after Off) MUST BE HIGH SPEED for the wiper.  Low must be the furthest from Off.  The motor has to first see High before Low will work.
--MY new Switch’s body (case) is Not a ground.  Yours might be.
--For MY wiper motor:  The Body is the grounding connection.  Yellow is the power wire to the fuse box.  Light Blue is the high-speed wire.  Dark Blue is the low-speed wire.  Black is the park wire.

And “Lthomas6615”: Don’t let me ever again find you saying you’re “just a girl.”  My five-year-old granddaughter often figures things out that I can’t, and I’m a mechanical engineer.  

TO TOP