Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

82 el camino wiper motor

82elcamino
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/18/12 05:47 PM

The wiper motor doesn't work on my car. It has a white wire, a purple wire and a gray wire. The white wire lights up when I turn the ignition switch on. The purple wire never lights up when I turn the switch. The fuse is good. What would be the next step to find out if I have a bad switch or a wiring problem? I tried a new motor and it doesn't work either. Is there another fuse in the circuit?  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 11/18/12 06:38 PM

on wiper motors.. there are multiple wires...

one wire comes on  with the KEY...  thats the wiper PARK circuit.. this allows you to turn the wipers off and they continue to operate until they park at the base of the windshield...

which system do you have?????  

there are 3 speed systems and systems with delay..

can you identify the different wire colors.. and which system you have.. delay type or non delay..  

82elcamino
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/18/12 07:04 PM

Mine is a 2 speed system. It does not have the delay.  

waynep71222
Posted: 11/18/12 07:12 PM

that narrows it down some.. i will do some research...

lets get this weirdly wired circuit understood

i got this info from a 80 Camaro wiring diagram... i don't have an elcamino wiring diagram handy..

circuit 91  Grey wire..     LO speed...  the wiper switch grounds this for low speed.

circuit 92  Purple wire    HI speed     the wiper switch grounds this for HIGH speed.

circuit 93 White wire       Power to the WIPER MOTOR and the washer pump solenoid...  from the wiper fuse..  this is plugged into 2 connectors with a short jumper on the wiper motor..

circuit 94 Pink wire..       Wash and Wipe cycle...   the wiper switch grounds this for wash wipe .

circuit 95... Dark Green wire...  used on pulse/delay wiper systems only..  so your car might not have this wire...

this info is for cars with ROUND type wiper motor housings...

on the wiper switch is a GROUND circuit...

circuit 150...   GROUND.... from the wiper SWITCH in the steering column to somewhere under the dashboard... i don't know where its grounded at.. yet...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

waynep71222
Posted: 11/18/12 08:11 PM

So.. wiper motor testing...

and the wiper motor may also .. more than likely does have a GROUND Strap from the motor housing to one of the 3 mounting bushings.. so the wiper motor has a ground.. i recall this ..

if you have power on the WHITE WIRE.. circuit 93.. thats GOOD..

you will want to while the key is ON..

touch a jumper lead that is grounded on one end to the GREY wire  circuit 91...  the wipers should come on LOW.. when you disconnect this jumper.. the wipers should Park..

~~~~~~~

touch the jumper lead to  the Purple wire on the wiper..  the wipers should come on high speed..

~~~~~~~~

if you PROBE the PINK wire... with the grounded test lead.. the wiper motor should wipe probably 3 times and the washer pump click..  then stop if you have given it just a single touch to ground...

~~~~~~~~~

lets test the wiper switch.. starting at the wiper pump motor with all the wires disconnected..

~~~~~~~~~~

with the wiper switch in the OFF position..   and a test light that the CLIP is hooked to the POSITIVE battery..  you should NOT have any LIGHT when you probe the GREY WIRE ..
turn the switch to LOW.. and your test light should turn ON...

~~~~~~~

the PURPLE wire..  probe again with test lead hooked to POSITIVE..  OFF.. no light.. LO position..NO LIGHT..   HIGH POSITION YES LIGHT...

~~~~~~~~~~

and the PINK WIRE  should ONLY turn on the test light hooked to POSITIVE when you depress the INNER TAB on the turn signal switch to request WASHER...

~~~~~~~~~~~

hope this helps..  

82elcamino
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/18/12 08:46 PM

Thanks for everybody's help.  

TO TOP