Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

More Power

JJ86GMC
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/12/12 08:24 PM

I have a 86 GMC that has pro comp 190cc heads, air gap intake, comp cam .576/.571 on a 113 degree and a edelbrock 650 carb, mallory ignition, TH350 trans, and a stock rear end but have a 373 posi unit going to put in. I am looking to make a little more power any ideas?  

JJ86GMC
Posted: 09/12/12 08:25 PM

For got to add it is a full roller engine  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 09/12/12 08:53 PM

a few things....   how come your user name does not show up???

you will probably want to bump the pistons...

stall the transmission..

use tuning tubes for the exhaust.

can anybody explain why there is no user name.. not even a place to click to view his account info?? or is this some kind of hacker.. as i have seen these no user name posts all over the forums .. not just here..  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 09/12/12 10:27 PM

IT'S BEEN ON MOST OF THE FORUMS I'M ON ALSO WAYNE! I HOPE YOUR WRONG ABOUT THE HACKER!

+1Wayne. On the compression bump up. Maybe 10:5:1 if not using on the street. 12:5:1 squeeze the quench area if using on the track only. Grin  Cool

With a stick that big:

1.If your running a small block you need a bigger carburator 750CFM.

2.The cylinder heads are a little too small, 210cc to a 220cc cylinder head. Port matched.

3.More rear gear depending on how tall your tire is. 3:90:1 to 4:10:1
3500 RPM Stall convertor for that TH350.

"Give us as much information as you can. We will help you out".

Bob  

JJ86GMC
Posted: 09/13/12 08:36 AM

I'm not a hacker and I dont know why my user name does not come up, Ill look into it, I have been wanting to put a holly 750 double pumper on it for a while now, did not want to boost the stall up past 2500 due to this being a daily driver/ street toy. Also fixing to save up to do a full internal so I dont have to worry about future problem internally.  Truck also has true dual exhaust and long tube headers. If Im going to supercharge it or put a 144 blower on it what is the type of pistons should I get knowing the compression has cant be too high.  Instead of Buying new heads that are 210cc would t be easier to port and polish the pro comp or just buy a new set of AFR or Dart or Brodix  

redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 09/13/12 03:47 PM

no offense JJ,  the forums have been acting strange lately.   welcome to superchevy.   Cool    just making sure your not a spam-bot. Grin     id say a light hit on the bottle might be the way to go.   check out the weiend site for more info on a suppercharger.  you need to get your carb re-worked for the powervalve to work, etc.  just sayin hi. Cool  

pepsi1
Posted: 09/13/12 09:12 PM

Yeah JJ please don't take offense to Wayne or Joe's question? Most of the guys that are on the forum a lot are concerned..I just went through a crazy glitch with my computer. I went off Super Chevy not 10 mins. To take care of business...LOL... I could not get back on any of the sites I am on....16 forums...So I think Wayne's question was a legitimate one. But not to concern yourself as the other forums are having sign on problems also....Hope that answers your question JJ. Grin  Cool

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 09/13/12 09:13 PM

Welcome to Super Chevy JJ86GMC:

Bob  

pepsi1
Posted: 09/13/12 09:37 PM

JJ86GMC:

Can't beat a full roller cam today. With the engine oils turning to junk today that's a good way to go.

1.You can port the intake runners to achive the 210cc or so.
2.Go with a compression NO-MORE then an 8:0:1 use FORGED PISTONS and FORGED RODS for any power adders. Be safe not sorry....
3.If you keep your tire size to under 29" you should be okay with a 2500 Stall Convertor. I was talking, not knowing specifics on your truck. You want your 60MPH speed to be at 2600RPM or higher. That will keep the convertor locked up and it won't cook the trans.Use a big seperate trans cooler.
4.If it runs okay with the Edelbrock 650CFM carb. then I would just go a step or 2 colder in heat ranges on the spark plugs. Especially if your going to port the heads. Long tube headers (which I like a lot) will lean your fuel mixture out. So do keep an eye on the Air/Fuel mixture.
5.Install a 180* thermostat, drop that engine temp. and the underhood temp also.
6.Maybe wrap the headers with header wrap. Grin  Cool

If we missed anything let us know...

Bob  

JJ86GMC
Posted: 09/19/12 09:11 PM

thanks bob, I understand how that goes had a bad virus on my computer at one time and had to wipe it and re install all my programs, the bad thing was that all my AutoCad programs were lost. I wasnt offended I know how it is.  

JJ86GMC
Posted: 09/19/12 09:25 PM

the thermostat is at 180 right now, cousin runs fuel injection specialties and is an awesome mechanic, I am looking for another truck right now so I can pull the engine and forge the inside like my last one, this engine was built on a budget at the time, only thing i skimped out on was the internals (crank, pistons, and rods)Have a trans cooler in already because I was going through tranny's every month or so, What will a good port make my heads if they are pro comp 190cc right now. Is 210cc obtainable like Bob had mentioned. what would be the best adder supercharger or 144 blower, and thanks for all the input guys it is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.  

pepsi1
Posted: 09/20/12 03:03 PM

You can remove that much just be carefull not to go to far. I would go with a supercharger. But that's my thought.  

briando
Posted: 09/21/12 10:03 AM

you can laugh at this one all you want, but what my dad and his uncle used to do to make a truck pull harder or a go fast car go faster was drop the nitro pills you put under your tongue into the gas tank. they said it worked, of course dad also talked about they would argue who would have to be the one who dropped them in there. whatever, give it a shot, whats the worst that could happen  

TO TOP