Item Posts    Sort Order

Ground up build

pjk91
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 11/04/12 10:50 AM

Hi all, new here. I am considering starting a ground up build on a 1st gen camaro. New chassis. Something like an art Morrison bolt on frame. Here's the deal...fabrication is not my forte. How much fabrication is there going to be on a build like this? I don't do body work either. Only interiors. I'm not going to make it too crazy. 450whp t56. Minus the body,  floor pan and tubs what kind of fabrication (custom) should I expect? I'm budgeting 40k before body work.  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 11/04/12 07:47 PM

i would bet that has been covered in one of the magazines..

perhaps over in camaro performers magazine..

http://www.camaroperformers.com/

i wonder how much of these extended or full replacement chassis are my fault..

about 15 or 20 years ago... i called the chris's shop... ask why they were not making subframes for first gen f bodies.. they said... there was not enough call for them...   i said something like.. if you build it .. they will come..  i called back.. and ask why they had stopped at the factory location... how come they did not extend to the forward spring perches..  or even go to the rear of the body...

guess they listened...

so all of you have bolt on subframes for 1st gen cars because of a pair of phone calls...

i wonder if i am responsible for directional fins on aluminum wheels.. back around 76/78 i was at OCIR .. the manufacturers meet.. i was asking one of the guys with the turbine wheel displays if they could cast them at angles.. so it would pull air .. he replied that was impossible... i kept at it.. why. if they are not overlapping.. its the same process as you currently use.. he still kept repeating its impossible..  but then he kinda brushed me away.. got a strange look on his face.. turned away... almost like i had just handed him a MILLION dollar idea.. perhaps i did..  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 11/04/12 07:56 PM

there is also this i spotted from another supplier...

July 2012 Parts Bin

’67- 69 Camaro Fast Track IFS/IRS chassis system; . The new Camaro Fast Track chassis utilizes  proven Fast Track front and rear fully independent suspension systems. This chassis is specifically and uniquely engineered to incorporate modern suspension technology into your vintage muscle car for an unbeatable combination. Based around proven C6 Corvette spindles and hubs, RS employs their own unique suspension geometry offering increased negative camber gains and controlled roll center. The large-diameter tube control arms bring an increase in strength and additional clearance to run up to a 10-inch wide front and 12-inch wide rear wheel.

Read more: http://www.camaroperformers.com/parts-bin/camp-1207-july-2012-parts-bin/viewall.html#ixzz2BJTeuztR  

TO TOP