Item Posts    Sort Order

1977 Wiring Question

dhall419
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 09/30/12 05:58 AM

OK on my 1977 Camaro, something chewed the light wires under the hood, where they go thru the firewall just under the brake cylinder on the driver's side.  I pulled the plug and connected the wires back, the problem is, I have more wires than go in that plug.  The lights and blinkers work, but there are four wires that I don't know where they go, there is 2 dark blue and 2 black with a light stripe on them, and they all run in the same loom as the light wires, and are about the same length as the wires that come from the plug.  There is also a vacuum line cut also with nothing to connect to in the same location, the line goes over the master cylinder then down under the plug for the light wires.   Anybody be able to look at theirs and see if there is something else in that area that these wires connect to.

Thanks for any help you can be.
dh  

waynep71222
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 09/30/12 10:28 AM

first.. the vacuum hose is ONLY used on cars with cruise control.... if your car is equipped.. it will run over to a second switch/valve next to the stop light switch... this cancels the cruise when you depress the brake pedal...

i only have a decent 76 wiring diagram that shows where the wires go in the plug..

there are 4 rows of cavities..  with staggered at the left side.. and straight edge at the right
top row..
empty, empty, pinch bolt area  tan/33 , dark green/29 . |
light blue/92, black/91, dark blue/15, light blue/14, tan, 12, dark green/14 |
dark blue/94, empty, brown/9, empty, empty |
black double yellow stripe/93, empty, empty, empty, empty

what each wire does...

tan 33 goes to the brake  pressure warning switch in the middle of the proportioning block.
dark green/29 goes to both horns.

light blue/92 goes to the wiper motor
black/91 goes to the wiper motor
dark blue/15 goes to the right turn signal bulb and side marker.
light blue 14 goes to the left turn signal bulb and side marker
tan/12 goes to the bottom connection of the headlights..
light green/11 goes to the side connection of the headlights.

dark blue/94 goes to washer pump
brown/9 goes to the parking lights

black double yellow stripe/93 has 2 wires.. one to the wiper motor the other to the washer pump...

connector cavities
2, bolt access, 2

#, #, -, -, 33, 29
94, #, 9, #, #,
_94, #, 9, #, #,
--93, #, #, #, #,
replacement bulk head terminals are usually available from either dorman in conduct tite or JT&T terminals

hope this helps...  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 09/30/12 12:06 PM

Welcome to Super Chevy:

Just a little Heads -up. when General Motors, Ford, or Chyrsler, are making wire harnesses they are not going to make a Harness For Example. Z28,LT, Beretta, etc. Confused  

They will make one Harness to fit them all. It keeps production costs down. So when you are looking at a service manual, thats what you will see. There will wires vacuum lines or even references to wire colors that don't exsist.

So If you don't have a service manual for your car you should go to a good parts store and get one. I.E. Napa, Autozone,etc... Wayne comes out with the best Schematics ever.  Cool  

There is really nothing you can do to keep those little critters from under your nice warm hood. I did a service on a truck. The Chip Monk was still under the hood. It was running around. He eventually jumped out, and ran away. Some say if you put shop towels with amonia on them it will keep the little critters out...LOL...Please don't kill them as much of a PITA as they are they do serve a purpose. Grin  Cool

Solder all the wire connections, and then use shrink tubing to make it weather tight.
Good luck...

Bob  

dhall419
Posted: 09/30/12 02:35 PM

Yes the vacuum is to the cruse, still don't know what those other wires are.  

waynep71222
Posted: 09/30/12 03:31 PM

look above again.. i edited it..  

dhall419
Posted: 10/01/12 04:05 PM

Mystery solved, I decided to find out where the wires ran to under the hood, so when I started checking the wire loom, the wires just ran a little way and doubled back, so looks like there was 33" of extra wire, that was folded over in the loom.  Anyway all of the lights are working, I just have to figure out what is wrong with the horn, that was one wire that had not been chewed all the way thru, but I cut it and put it back, and the horn still will not work, I jumped the wire to the battery and the horns worked, so not getting voltage from the button.

Thanks for helping
dh  

waynep71222
Posted: 10/01/12 06:53 PM

ahhh!!!!

horns...

the GREEN wire comes from the HORN relay under the dash  board..

at the horn relay...  the BLACK wire goes to the turn signal switch wiring..

on the turn signal switch connector..
its the 3rd wire from the end
first wire is black
second wire is pink and a double black stripe
third wire is black.. for the HORN...     if you ground this wire.. the horn relay should activate..

the THIRD wire on the horn relay is RED... this red wire feeds a bunch of things... so if your engine starts and runs.. then you probably have power there...    the red wire feeds the IGN 2 and IGN 3 pins on the ignition switch..

i don't know exactly where the horn relay is stashed under the dash board..  it could have burned out when the wiring was eaten...

it will have a fairly thick red wire...
a medium thick green wire
a thin black wire...

the horn relay looks like this..  you can see that the cover comes off fairly easily.. so you could get to the insides and manually squeeze the contacts.. please be careful . that you don't let it touch ground.. that circuit does NOT seem to be fused.. there is only a fusible link.. probably down at the starter to protect that circuit..  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/04/12 01:30 AM

Good old Wayne, and his wiring diagrams, and schematics.  

dhall419
Posted: 10/13/12 03:56 AM

I got the horn working, pulled the relay and checked hot wire, it was hot, checked connection from horn button, and it was good, so then checked the relay, and it was good.  Put it back together and the horn worked, relay must have been stuck or bad connection.  Thanks for your help in this matter
dh  

pepsi1
Posted: 10/13/12 09:46 AM

dhall419

I know it was probably Wayne's schematics that helped you more then anything I did. But thank's for letting us know we did help you. So many times we do and don't help people with problems, and never hear from them.So thanks for letting us know...

Bob  

TO TOP