Item Posts    Sort Order

which is better for a street car

chevyboi22
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 02/04/12 02:06 AM

I have a 94 z28 auto stock... my question is what is the best motor for a nearly everyday driver 355 or 383? Im not really a light to light person more of a highway guy but also want to pin you in your seat when take off but be able to handle high numbers on highway  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 02/04/12 08:03 PM

The 383 stroker engine for the torque, but you have different rod angles that wear parts out faster then a mild to wild street performer 350 would give you.

The 350 will give you that seat of the pants feeling just by changing the rear gear ratio. If you have a stock 350 in your Camaro you probably have a gear ratio of maybe 3:08. The only way to find out what ratio you have is one of two ways.

If you have a posi rear you can count the revolutions the driveshaft makes in relationship to the rear tire. For Example: If you have a 3:08 rear gear. Your driveshaft will turn approx. 3,1 turns to one revolution of your rear wheel.

If you had a 4:10 gear ratio your driveshaft would turn approx. 4.1 turns to one turn of your rear wheel.

If you dont have a posi rear you will have to remove the cover and physically count the ring gear teeth and the pinion teeth.
You will then divid the pinion into the ring rear and that is your ratio. For Example if you had a 3:10 rear gear your pinion would have 10 teeth and your ring gear would have 30 teeth. It's that simple.

If you installed a 3:70 or 3:90 rear gear you would feel that punch, or seat of the pants feeling your looking for. It depends on how tall your rear tires are also.The height makes the rear gear ratio change.

In a way your lucky your Camaro has OBTI diagnostics. Thats what I would do first, with an O/D transmission you will be surprised it won't real kill your fuel mileage.HA,HA,HA. But when you feel the difference you will be playing with it.

I had a 1985 Pontiac S/W. It had a 305 factory engine. I removed it and installed a mild 350 used for towing. Before I installed the 350 I had put the gears in it with the 305. I went fron a 2:76 rear gear to a 3:70 rear gear ratio. The 305 was a snotty little engine.I installed the 3:70 gears. I travelled 120 miles a day to my shop.The S/W had a 22 gallon tank. I managed 19 to 21 MHG. When I towed with it I still got 15 MPG. That was a big car back then. It was a box.
Thats my 2 Cents and go for the gear change first. Then build that 350..... Grin  Cool
Thanks
Bob  

chevyboi22
Posted: 02/06/12 12:23 AM

Im putting in 3.73 gears with a 3000 stall converter and just lost on 350 or 383. Which is better for highway  

pepsi1
Posted: 02/09/12 12:02 PM

I apologize I'm not here to confuse you, but to help you. You have to understand we answer so many question's we don't know at what level an individual is.

I would go with a 350 in the area of 350hp tp 400hp is very streetable today. Then you would have a real kick in the pants feel when you get on the gas. When you decide on what you are doing let us know. We can set you up with some combinations. Grin  Cool  

There are so many options today for someone like yourself starting out. You can build your engine or purchase a complete engine with a warranty today. I would suggest having raised 2 boys and a girl, get a Jegs or SummitRacing catalog and look through them. I have "NO IDEA" what your budget is? Make your choices by asking the questions. MY THEORY is there are NO stupid questions only stupid answers. Remember you want to have fun and have a realiable ride at the same time.
Thanks
Bob

You started in the correct direction, with the 3:73 gears and the 3000 RPM convertor.  

chevyboi22
Posted: 02/09/12 12:37 PM

Thanks..

So what would be a good combination to put together? My budget it open but i dont wanna put crazy money into it and its going to be nearly a daily driver.  

pepsi1
Posted: 02/10/12 11:17 AM

I sold a 344 inch SBC that made 702 HP all engine. Just before Christmas. That was the engine from my 1966 ChevyII. That would have been a killer for you. LOL....I know woulda, coulda, shoulda. I freshened it before I sold it.Only kidding... Cool  

I have a number of combinations. Why don't you really think about were most of you use will be. I'll look back in a few days and I'll come up with something. This way I won't be sending you info you don't need! Sounds good.  Grin  Cool
Thanks
Bob  

chevyboi22
Posted: 02/12/12 12:28 PM

i just need a combination for the original motor (LT1) that can handle high speed on highway but when somebody pulls up to a light and wants to run light to light also.

I got this guy who wants me to do a 383 but me personally dont see a 383 good for the highway i could be wrong thats why im asking 350 or 383?

I cant say its going to be a everyday car but it have plans on going to car shows and dont want a stock motor in the car. I dont wanna use any nitrous I am a all motor type guy also.

Thanks for any advise...  

pepsi1
Posted: 03/26/12 08:21 PM

chevyboi22
What did you ever build? I'm guessing a 350  

chevyboi22
Posted: 03/28/12 01:40 AM

I havent built anything but think im going with a 355.  

WarpVelocity9.9
Posted: 04/07/12 05:07 PM

I have a 1982 Firebird with an L82 Corvette 350, 700R4, with 3.73 gears. Due to where I live and where I work, a fair amount of traveling is done.

My car by no means is a slouch but my 350 is fun to drive, delivers reliable performance, and when my foot is not on the loud pedal, I can get respectible,  22-24 mpg on the highway.

I have a brand new 383 Stroker still wrapped in plastic sitting in my garage for this car but I have not dropped it in because I love the fuel mileage I get out of my current combo. I guess I will wait until my current engine dies or I will find another car for that stroker.

I think a well built and tuned LT1 with a high flow exhaust and 3.73 gears will deliver the job for your highway oriented use. Now when you decided to retire your car from highway use and turn it in to a stoplight king, then go with the 383.

Remember that an internal combustion engine is essentially a giant air pump so the more air in and the more air out in the most efficient way will yield the best performance and economy numbers.

I hope this helps.

Warpvelocity9.9  

justinnryder
Posted: 05/19/13 10:40 PM

Having an own car is a dream for each and every car lovers and also many of them are looking for buy a street car.There are plenty of choices as well as opportunities that you may get from there.  
Lone Mountain Truck Leasing

68scott385
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 05/20/13 05:38 AM

Icon Quotejustinnryder:
Having an own car is a dream for each and every car lovers and also many of them are looking for buy a street car.There are plenty of choices as well as opportunities that you may get from there.

incomprehensible dribble  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

redneckjoe69
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 05/20/13 03:24 PM

Icon Quotejustinnryder:

Bloggin troll!   Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  Tongue  

TO TOP