Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

From stock cam to performance cam on 4.8 L V8

Red2007
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/14/12 04:14 PM

I want to change my stock cam to a performance one. I drive a 2007 classic Chevy with a 4.8L, what would u recommend goin with for a daily driver. I'm looking for power on the take off as well as over all performance. I don't know anything about this but I would like to learn alil.Also, the best prices on where to get what I need.  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 04/15/12 08:53 AM

red2007

Your going to have to contact a cam manufacturer to see if someone can make a cam for you..I can tell you this it will be expensive..I didn't answer the post because there are no manufactured cams for that engine...Why because its not a popular engine...You could contact your chevy dealer and see if they make a hotter cam for that engine....

My advice to you is find a 5.3 and 4L30E or 4L60E trans at a boneyard get as many parts and equiptment from it as you can..that means all the electronics..PCM  ECM. I know you said you want to learn so go to this site and see if there is a technical book you can read before starting a huge project like this...Its well worth the swap and you will have power as you want..www.cartechbooks.com   I know this is not what you expected but there is NO easy way out as the 4.8 is a slug..it was built for mpg and around town and highway use.Never a performance engine....Good Luck...
Bob  

Red2007
Posted: 04/15/12 08:59 AM

Thanks for yr advice.  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/15/12 03:09 PM

Your very welcome:

Bob  

Red2007
Posted: 04/16/12 05:51 PM

What bolt ons would u recommend , I have a K&N cold air intake, throttle body spacer, an corvett cervo, with dunk flomaster exhaust  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/17/12 04:42 AM

red2007

That will depend on what will fit and what you decide to ....Cold air boxes are worth good HP  spacers work but be carefull if you have drive by wire don't go in that box or even drop it..(it's loaded with plastic gears) believe me you can screw that up in a heart beat... What Covette servo do you mean...Don't go too big on your exhaust it will take power away....

The difference between a cold air box and not..My brothers 2002 ZO6. we ran it at Daytona in a club that he belongs to.Without a cold air box and the car was setup to the video GM provides we went 174mph and that was a corrected speed on 3 laps around Daytona..I'm sure driving it with a cold air box that car would have gone 180mph....
Bob  

TO TOP