Item Posts    Sort Order

I would like to see some Oval Port heads added to 'The Big O' test

Bar50
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 04/13/12 08:50 AM

First off,
I am glad you did test a set of -049 Oval Port heads that had got some love.

But,

There is always a 'but' the article states ...it is all but impossible to get the chamber volume sized down to the 110cc range offered by the aftermarket heads...

Okay, here is the deal, I am a big block fan, I have not jumped on the LS band wagon.  So, I challenge you to have a set of -049 or -781 oval port heads angle milled 0.125 with 2.19 & 1.88 valves.  No full port job, just the angle mill and the valves.  Then, they would be close to the cast iron version of the 1 1/2* angle milled Edelbrock High Compression heads (#60499) offered for the 7.4 engines.

Next month, when you try out all the rectangle port heads, please include the GM cast iron -188 or -088 heads that can be found used (budget, right?) from late model boat big blocks.  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 04/13/12 02:08 PM

Good Luck getting that done!  

Bar50
Posted: 04/15/12 10:45 PM

So,
Does that mean I am like one of the only 'old school' guys left!!?!

I know, I know, there is no app for that!

If they would have started with -781 heads, some of them started life with 113cc chambers.

The Vortec 7400 L29 big oval ports (-279 or -241) with with heart shaped chambers found on the '96-up 454s are worthy of some attention.  Maybe a set stock, then with some 2.19 1.88 valves.  Everyone dogs on oval ports giving up at 6000 RPM, so does the crank on a 454 around 6700.

454's are small by today's standards, what with 434 small blocks and all.  I am just tasking the magazine to think like a car guy, get the biggest bang for the buck!  Sometimes it was not the guy with the most expensive heads, it was the guy who had the 'right' machine work done on parts he could afford that made gobbs of power and earned lots of respect in regards to power laid down.

What ever happened to the cheap 454 they built back in June '10 issue?  Where they bought two short blocks out of the pull-a-part salvage???  Come on budget builders, lets face it, we all gotta with this economy!!?!  

Bar50
Posted: 04/27/12 06:31 AM

Nothing....?

No questions about angle milling open chaber heads?

No one wondering about the big block Vortec 7400 closed chambers heads that can really wake up a flat top 454?

This community is sorta' slow.

Anyone ever get any comments back?

How about "Bless all you LS swap guys, big blocks are getting cheap!"  

BigChevyFTW
Posted: 05/07/12 10:12 AM

There is like 4 people who are the heart and soul of this forum. That does'nt say much about the future of this magazine. The truth is, most of the stuff you see is done on someone else's dime and has nothing to do with the magazine at all. They just know the person who is doing the dyno session (usually Steve Brul) and the magazine jumps on for the story to call it thier own, and if for some reason the magazine did spring for the build, it's because it's for an editors car. Case in point,The F-Bomb build. or it's another SBC. I like your idea about the vortec heads but its been done before by this magazine prolly for a customers car again. However, i think they are a serious contender for a street big block with monster torque.

all said and done. it would be real nice for this magazine to actually listen to its readers and subscribers and give back some of the cash it recieves in the form of what we would like to see and not what happens to be on someone else's dime.

with the amount of money the magazine gets i think they should build an engine every month and give it way to its subscribers but like pepsi1 said good luck with that!  

TO TOP