Ad Radar
Item Posts    Sort Order

Angle plug 461 casting cast iron SBC heads?

plasmatic
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 01/09/12 05:52 PM

I have a pair of  cast iron Chevy heads both with the casting number 3782461 and a date code of E185 they have 2.02/1.60 valves which in itself is nothing unusual. The heads have no accessory mounting holes and are the typical double hump design. HOWEVER....they have ANGLE PLUGS?

I cant find any info on Chevy cast iron heads made this early with angle plugs.

The heads do not appear to have been ported, polished or other wise messed with, was the addition of angle plugs a mod that was typically done on this type of cylinder head in the past?  

8u115hi7
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 01/10/12 10:38 AM

here is what i found during a quick search
"One would take an iron plug, and epoxy it into the spark plug holes, then redrill the spark plug holes. You cannot do this on your own, it takes a knowledgeable machinist to do it, but it wasn't uncommon "back in the day"."  
=^.^=

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 01/10/12 10:42 AM

Those are very early High Performance cylinder heads. They are 64cc. But if someone did all that work they probably angle milled the heads also. The intake manifold maybe matched to the angles on the head. If you don't know how to do that bring them into a machine shop you know and can trust. How in the world did you come by those heads? The heads and intake are probably a matched set....

You won't find information on a 461 that has angle plugs. It's something we did back in the day. We wanted to get the spark plug in the flame travel of the exhaust valve. Plus get it in the quench area. Don't throw them away someone did a lot of work to move that spark plug in that manner. I just sold a HP casting #186 in the original Boxes. The castings were bare and never touched. I got $800.00 for the pair no valves empty.All early SBC heads that have NO Accessory holes are old castings and usually are 64cc closed chamber some were less @ 54cc. GOOD CATCH and GOOD FIND!
Thanks
Bob  

birdman038
Posted: 04/14/12 05:09 PM

whats the deal with these heads. did chevy ever make an angle plug head for sbc. If sowhat years and where do I find them.  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/14/12 06:37 PM

If you read what I said about those heads you would see they werent produced that way..
Thats  an old set of heads someone put alot of time and money into...if you ever come across a set of heads like them dont buy them unless the intake manifold is with it....
Those heads have been angle milled to a point i'd bet their 54cc if that....double hump

Now when heads are angle milled it changes the way the way the bolts line up on the block..Think of it as this an LS head verses an 23* head on the intake bolt ..But more severe.....no accessory holes....

Chevy made iron casting heads called Turbos in the 70's and 80's #292 that were angle plug... camel hump and accessory holes..Chevy mainly increased CC's in the heads to get power...angle plugs arent needed until you go Hi-Compression dome pistons...then we would cut an angle in the piston dome to increase a unshroud flame travel...a better mouse trap per say....If your new at this purchase a book from www.cartechbooks.com

Bob  

frontierjoe
Posted: 04/24/12 06:57 PM

These 461 angle plugs heads are an over the counter performance head, never came on production cars. The are not plugged. The heads I have in my possession have never been tampered with at all. If they where plugged and tapped they would still show a plug present. They do not, the castings are clean with no lines or seams in the plug area. These I believe where available from 81 to 87 over the counter performance upgrade offered for corvettes.  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/24/12 07:36 PM

Icon Quote8u115hi7:
here is what i found during a quick search
"One would take an iron plug, and epoxy it into the spark plug holes, then redrill the spark plug holes. You cannot do this on your own, it takes a knowledgeable machinist to do it, but it wasn't uncommon "back in the day"."

We never epoxied any combustion chamber...We only used epoxy on an intake runner that we have hit water, but never epoxied a combustion chamber...

It was always put in an oven and oven brazed accordingly I don't know where you got your  Confused
information but it's incorrect just think about that statement you made!!! Confused  

fnlasn
Posted: 04/03/13 09:24 PM

when i was drag racing my 69 camaro, in keokuk, ia, back in 69-70, you could order cast iron angle plug heads from couch auto in des moines, iowa for $200 a a pair. i ordered a set and swaped my 350-350, 11-1 pistons, for 12 1/2-1. had to have the pistons slotted and index the plugs and modify the headers, for the extra 15 hp they claimed i would get, going from straight plugs, to the angle plugs.
    i moved to north west montana and got into nascar limited sportsman, circle track racing. we had to run a maximum of 300 cu in, flat top pistons, 500 max cfm, 2bbl carb, cast iron block, heads and cast iron 2 bbl intake and point ignition. i had a motor built in spokane. i never tore the 60 over, 67, 283 nova engine down, after i got it back, but the builder told me what he did. he took my 1963, 461, 62cc heads, tapped and plugged the steam holes then angle milled the heads and re-drilled the steam holes, per the head gasket. slotted the bolt holes slightly and re-surfaced the bolt seat area. milled and tapped for 302 ford, screw in studs, no guide plates. used 4 slot rocker balls and long slot, O type rockers. had mopar valves. springs came with the mushroom lifter cam from chet herbert. the rule allowed solid lifters. the mushroom cam was experimental. nobody knew except me. the intake was from a 265 chevy, and had the bolt holes slotted and also re-surfaced. steel wedge plate was made to put between the intake and heads. the exhaust heat crossover was drilled and tapped and plugged with a steel plug and machined smooth. the intake runners were epoxied and blended to match the runner size of the 265 intake manifold. you couldnt port and polish. i had to modify the howe 180 headers, cutting a slight v from the top of each pipe, next to the flange, to change the angle of the flanges, and weld.  
    it was a cheater motor, and had many modifications. only me and the builder, knew, what was in it. speed-0-motive sent me a small journal, 3.48 crank assy with stamped 060, single relief, floater pistons, with 67, z28 rods.
    thought i would share what i did with a set of old camel hump heads, back in the day when thats all you had to work with.. fnlasn  

pepsi1
Posted: 04/06/13 04:18 PM

Even on the east coast the guys that know there stuff were selling them to the guys that had the money..

Bob  

speedy10795
Posted: 12/12/13 06:45 PM

i have a set of 461 heads that someone had pluged the plug hole and re drilled to make them an angle plug head. they do need some work as far as where the studs screw in but i would be willing to sell cheap !  they are 2.05 valves and the guy i got them from said they were the hot dog set up back in the day. I also have a set of 186 double humps that are ready to bolt on fresh from the machine shop. he said they have had a lot of port work done and have been polished. I got these for a dirt car motor but when i went to put them on i found out that the manly pistons i have will only allow angle plug heads. The way my pistons are cut if i try to use the strait plug 186s the plug will go strait into the pistons dome, I think they are about a .465 dome piston ! But anyways im not sure what the 186s are worth but i would be willing to give up the 461 and the 186 for a good set of angle plug heads that i can use on my motor ! 215cc runners 2.05 valves, something like that ! if anyone is interested in what i have please call or text me at 765-413-6585 names travis thanks ! I do have all the valves and springs for the 461s but no intake !  

TO TOP