12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

96 Chevy Truck cutting off

82elcamino
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/18/11 03:47 PM

I have a 96 Chevy truck 2wd with a 5.7 engine. Sometimes it cuts off suddenly. It always cranks back up. It usually happens when idling or driving about 20 mph. Sometimes when driving about 60 mph it stalls but does not completely cut off. I checked the fuel pressure and it has about 58 psi. I checked the battery with a load tester and it is good. Has anybody had this problem?  

waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 08/18/11 09:23 PM

i have been chasing the same problem on a friends 98...

i have found a bunch of problems....

loose battery cable connection at the starter...   easy to reach with the battery disconnected through the inner fender well over the top of the frame rail

bad ignition switch... the spring that returns the switch from the crank position to the run position was worn and would not return the switch to the position where all the contacts inside the switch were closing properly.. there were also several dirty contacts... oh.. i take apart everything.. i was NOT able to rewind the spring to the proper position so had to drop the $200 bucks for a replacement...

warning.. it takes special tools to remove the column cover from the steering column.. you also have to disable the air bag.. if equipped.. not all are...   use a tie wrap on the clock spring housing so it does NOT unwind.. remove the steering wheel...     remove the turn signal switch... then the knee panel.. there are several styles of connectors under the dash..  some are easy to get to ... some are HARD to get to..

the last thing was as the engine was still shutting off sometimes... i put a new fuel pump relay in the load center under the hood..   the fuel pump should have been running on the oil pressure switch also.. i have not gotten the truck back to find out why the oil pressure switch outer contacts are not supplying a parallel source of power for the fuel pump circuit..  

pepsi1
Big Block power for the win
Posted: 08/19/11 08:49 AM

HEY GUYS..........THE DEALER and I'VE CHASED MY PROBLEM JUST LIKE YOURS.....FOR TWO AND A HALF YEARS...........
Exactly the same thing. It would shut-off anytime it made NO NEVER MIND......LOL. Blush  

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala with a 3.9 all the bells and whistles, I purchased used with 50K miles on it. Shortly after I purchased it it would just cut out at 60 MPH it would just lay down, every once in a while I got a raw gas smell in the cabin when I was  waiting for a light or at 60 MPH. (by that I mean it would not respond to anything I did)..... It never quite it acted as if it was running half power or something crazy like that. I was so glad I purchased the extended warranty.

It was to a point the dealer made a remark that it must be haunted, or I was crazy....WE HAD A LITTLE DISCUSSION  ABOUT THAT and WHAT HE MEANT BY @#@#$% REMARK..... Anyway it never set any codes or really just shut off. They thru some parts at it.....Kept it for days telling me they never found anything...It was parked in the same place I left it.........GM payed out thousands before they found this one!

One sunday afternoon I was cruising on the interstate @ 70 MPH in the slow lane. I came upon a slower car and just moved  the steering wheel to pass the car, and it SHUT_OFF....... This time it made a LOUD POP and  only once......I managed to coast to the shoulder......  all the lights went off in the dash.....although it did crank, and as it cranked all the lights flashed on and off in the dash....It was different then the many times before.....I wasn't able to start it, it just sounded like something big broke.... A real nasty sound. So I called for a wrecker, and while I was waiting for him I looked at anything and everything I could get my hands on...... checked some fuses etc, gave it the GM wiggle test...

This problem I have been having was never outside temperature related it did it at 10f degrees and 100f degrees...........The dealer didn't get to it until Tuesday, he called me Wed. mid day and told me they  found the problem!............

It was the connector to the IGNITION MODULE........ You couldn't see this connector unless you removed the engine cover, removed  the coil pack and actually tugged on the connector. Apparently it was never really snapped together. How long it was that way who's to say.............That car runs like a raped ape now and it never had throttle response like it has now. (It has drive by wire).I hope the gas mileage gets better. Grin

To continue with the saga two days later the check engine light came on. The gas smell I was getting in the cabin MELTED THE CAT..........Since they replaced the cat and reconnected the ignition module it's the car it should have been from the begining. It just turned 80K miles which is the cut-off for the warranty on the Ceramic Cat.....
                         END OF SAGA............. Confused Peace Love and Axle Grease... Crazy  

pepsi1
Posted: 08/19/11 09:46 AM

Before I retired I maintained and installed Cat Scanners X-Ray equipment ect. Yes your correct there are special pin pushers and pin installers for these new style connectors.In the medical field we've been using them for 35 years or so. There are certain ways to clean the pins also, so you don't remove the gold plaiting.7

It's only because some doctors like the Cat Scan room cold and some like it warmer. It sometime creates moisture problems. Wait till you have a wiring problem with one of those 100 pin connectors.LOL...... Almost all the pins today are gold plated. Thats why the recyclers are after any of the wire connectors.

There are some guys that go hospitals to collect old X-Rays. They in turn sell the X-Rays to the recyclers. The used X-Rays contain silver.

Remember it takes 8,640 bolts to build an automobile. But only ONE NUT to scatter it all over the interstate.......  

pepsi1
Posted: 08/19/11 11:10 AM

On the fire wall there is a bank of relays, you can't miss them they all look the same. Have the engine running and just tap the relays one at a time. If you read my problem you might do the same thing with your's just lightly tug on the wire connectors, and see if something happens. As components age they naturally get an almost invisable scale on the conacts. It wouldn't hurt to wiggle any and all connectors IE relays fusable links grounds.  

If you can leave that fuel gauge hooked up while your driving, and see if the pressure drops when it cuts out. How often do you change the fuel filter? If all that checks out OK.

Check and make sure all the connections on the starter are clean (NO Green connectors)there are also fusable links on some of the connectors. Thats where the ECM gets it's power.(The supply is fed from the battery to the starter)? If you take any wires off the starter, disconnect the battery and be carefull of the wire locations. It probably won't hurt to clean the connections anyway.

Just give it a good once, twice even a three, times over (LOL) if you can get to the top of your fuel tank see if that's corroded. If these tips don't help let us know. You know how long it took for me to find my problem, so I hope your's doesn't take that long. It could be the pump is overheating? If you write back give as much info as you can!...Have a good one and GOOD LUCK........

Many years ago my son's friend bought a county pickup truck at an auction it was a Chevy 1500 2 wheel drive.. For a county vehicle it was clean and low mileage. He would drive it the same route to work daily and it would shut off and it would crank but it never started. He would go back after work and it would start. He would drive it home. Next day same thing. Long story short he found out that the local Chevy Dealer had this truck for days, sometimes weeks on end.

My son asked me to look at it. I traveled 65% of my time on my job. I said OK but your going to help. I started it up, and 20 minutes later it quite running. As soon as it cooled down it would start up. We didn't have much time to work with before it shut off. It took some time because of the short amount of time we had.

Honestly as the day is long I'm looking at the starter and there are GREEN CORRODED FUSABLE LINKS at the starter connection. Now how in the world the dealer didn't find the corroded connectors for the length of time they had this truck and the town garage put their hands on it and NOONE saw those corroded connections. I believe he still has the truck on the farm his family runs. I couldn't wait for the truck to start to see if I just touched these wires if the truck shut off. I put a fan on it. It started and as soon as I touched the wires it shut off. It's 10 o'clock at night and I just cut the wires out of it and hard wired everything to the starter.

How much money did this truck me in taxes? I know the state and local county's take extended warranties on all there vehicles. You couldn't believe what the state troopers do to their vehicles. Enough of that. That came to mind as I was writing this suggestion.  Realisticly I think I had three hours in the truck total.Have a good day.......  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 08/19/11 04:23 PM

i was having a very similar problem on my daughters 93 z-28.    i changed the fuel filter about 5 times in 2 months.   it was dirty & helped to change it, but still had a mystery stalling issue.   i found the previous owner installed the wrong fuel pump relay.   the guy at autozone tried to sell me a cheaper one, but i bought the more expensive one & a tube of dielectric grease.   problem solved.    i also found the vacuum hose going to the fuel pressure regulater disconnected.   it was actually feeding a little too much pressure.   once i hooked it up,...all tests for the fuel system checked out good.    i also went around to alot of wiring connections & disconnected them carefully.   applied dielectric grease & reconnected them.      best of luck finding your gremlin.  

pepsi1
Posted: 08/19/11 06:46 PM

My son in law is the service director for three GM Dealerships, and asked me to come on board to work on problem cars. The guy that disconnected the hose on your car was chasing a problem way before you purchased it.

You just don't know the condition of a car before you buy it. People LIE.....I purchased that Impala because I was hit head on by aPUNK DRUGGED UP DRUNK of 37 years old. The State Police told me I was hit between 80 and 100 MPH. I was in my GM sierra 2500 HD 4X4 extended cab 8 ft. bed, my retirement truck. I am totally convinced that truck saved my life with all the safety features.

I was stopped, and he glanced off the car in front of me and went under my truck. He knocked  the complete front suspension and transfer case off my truck. Then he pushed me back 42 FT. (No suspension)! The roof of his Mazda was ripped completley off and in the process spun him and car around and they landed in a tree approx 20 FT. up. The first voice I heard was from a State Trooper. She told me an ambulance and rescue squad were on the way The State Troopers were chasing him when this all happened. I won't tell you my damages too long a list. He had a laceration on his forehead I don't think it required any stitches.

BECAUSE HE ROLLED ON AN INDIVIDUAL FOR THE DRUGS I'm stuck holding the bag. His insurance company paid for nothing. PLEASE DON'T LAUGH when I tell you his restitution to me.......... He had to pay for my rental car.......$1600.00 My R/Leg was stuck between the brake pedal and the bolster. Seat belt broke all my ribs on my left side. The impact was so violent it detached my R/Retina. That was a little more then 2 1/2 years ago. My lawyer said it would be a long battle. Anyway I hope I can get the surgery I need. Well that's that. F Y I Just around Christmas this past year, his brother was found dead from an overdose...........

There are so many what if's but one that sticks with me. I was in this full size truck. If I didn't have the Air Bag and The Seat belts to protect me I would have been a projectile like back in the day.......... They do need to improve the seat belt system though. They need to incorporate a seat belt sysytem as I have in my race car. A six point belt maybe over kill, not only to a woman with a dress or gown on, or a man in a Tuxedo. The four point two inch wide belt I don't think is too much at all.

If I was going the speed limit of 50 MPH the impact would have been deadly to maybe both of us. My eye surgeon said I suffered a 20 to 25 negative G load that detached my retina. He went on to say Fighter Pilots suffer from some form of this when they are landing on an aircraft carrier. That sudden stop is the breaking point. Thanks for listening and GOOD LUCK.............  

redneckjoe69
Posted: 08/20/11 06:18 AM

wow pepsi!  sounds like you were lucky that you were in that truck?   sorry to hear about your injuries.         a guy i used to work with, got hit on his motorcycle by a drunk, punk kid.  he spent 6 months in a body cast, followed by much physical therapy.   long story short the kid had no insurance & owned nothing.   florida is a no fault state. Frown        a few years later they met in a grocery store.  when my friend confronted him about the accident, the guy laughed & told him to f-off.   that was the last straw.  my buddy whooped his azz right in the grocery store.  when the cops came, it turned out to be a friend of my co-worker.  he got away with it. Grin  

Ron1973
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/20/11 07:52 PM

Im happy to hear ya made it out of that one alive pepsi! Thats something man, Sounds like a bunch of rebel rousing down there in Joes Florida.. Im glad i never had those problems up hear, more now then ever. IM GETTIN OLD lol. They keep saying your only as old as you feel, i keep askin them why they don't close the lid then! Guess id just have to BB gun shoot-em now a days.. LOL.. Sorry guys, im bad, been a long day in a very HOT garage today. Wink

82 How old is your cat-converter! sounds like a familiar problem a friend had on the same year truck...  

Ron1973
I have an SS396 tatoo
Posted: 08/20/11 07:57 PM

One other thing, the distributor is known to ware out on those, something about the shaft i cant remember exactly but when he was looking for the solution that did come up although it wasn't the problem in HIS case. Ok, im done it really has been a long one! Good luck, if i can find the links i seen on that ill post it up fer ya!  

pepsi1
Posted: 08/20/11 08:45 PM

Thanks all you guys out there. I really apreciate your thoughts thanks again!...I'm 64 years old and didn't need that in my life now or never. I live in Massachuesettes. I am fighting with the state now for compensation. Mass. has a Victim Compensation Law that is designed to protect people like me, and you. I'll give you an example.

I believe if I was doing the speed limit of 50 MPH We would both be dead. That would have been a collision impact of 150 MPH....... Confused

THE EXAMPLE....Lets say a bunch of us guys were enjoying a Sunday Drag Race at the track. Cool  Some punk pulls out an oozie and shots up the place. Hurts a lot of us in the process. He has nothing,owns nothing. Goes to jail for life. Frown  The state steps in and is supposed to take care of any medical bills and if you need therapy for life the state is to pay for that. You have to go thru the system. Mass calls it Victim/Witness Protection Compensation Law. It's so complicated the lawyers are still trying to figure it out.

I do believe if I wasn't in my truck and all the safety gear in it, both of us would not be here. There's an old saying God protects Drunks,and Babies. I guess he extended his hand to Drug Addicts too!

Hey Redneck.... Back in the day the SOB would have fallen down the stairs or some nasty thing like that happen, and that's where it would have ended.  

pepsi1
Posted: 08/20/11 09:01 PM

Yeah actually if you can pin-point the relay you can change it with another one before you go buy one.

It could be the pump itself, Just because the pump is pumping it maybe overheating internally in itself.

The fuel filter could be dirty enough that when the engine is running it picks up the junk in the filter and cloggs it up again. It can do that over and over.  

82elcamino
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 08/21/11 08:04 PM

It cut off today and would not start back up. I checked the fuel pressure and it had none. I listened and could not hear the fuel pump come on. I went to the parts store and got a fuel pump relay and installed it. It cranked back up. Then I tried the old relay and it cranked up with the old relay. So the relay was not the problem. It always happens when I have less than a half a tank of gas. Could it be that the fuel pump is getting hot and cutting off and when it cools down it starts back up?  

waynep7122
Posted: 08/21/11 08:16 PM

did you return the fuel pump relay?????  

if not.. stick the new one back in..   i have the old one i removed from the 98 in my van.. i will bring it in tomorrow if i remember take some photos...

you can pry the guts out of yours...  it comes apart in seconds...  you can then check the contacts..   i have always wanted to install some pilot lights on top of one.. so i can plug it in.. see if i am getting the proper power , grounds and signal voltage..

you can stick it back in without the cover and watch it work... the cover is just to keep dirt and moisture out..

INTERMITTENTs are really hard to find...    find the ECM  1 and ECM 2 fuse..    probe them with a circuit tester light.. one should be switched...  does it get power properly???    does your ignition switch return properly..  

pepsi1
Posted: 08/22/11 05:30 PM

Yeah unfortunatley the pump could be binding up internally just enough to make the armature hit the communtator. 1. Overheat the pump or 2. The pump can be so weak it needs a half tank of gas to keep it primed. These are from my past experiences, and it's always good to have a second hand helping.

I guess you guys  know each other? One other thing, bang the bottom of the tank when it shuts off. I'ii bet it's the pump. Change the fuel filter too. Whet does the fuel look like on the inlet side and outlet side of the pump? If the fuel is dirty...... is the gas tank rusting on the inside? Let us know what you find as the problem...... Confused  

12 Last
TO TOP