12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

Building a 302 Race Engine

CarCouple
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 10/07/10 08:15 PM

I am looking to build a 450hp plus race engine for my Vintage race Camaro.  I am looking to get some ideas on if I should look for an original DZ block or if destroking a 350 block will be just as good or better?  I liked the article on the 302 build on this site and would like the contact info on the shop that did the aluminum look alike heads?  What was the cost of those heads? and the total engine build?  

waynep7122
Everything in my driveway’s a Chevy
Posted: 10/07/10 10:22 PM

before you buy a DZ motor.. make sure that its properly stamped suffix is a DZ...  i saw a DZ blocks listed on ebay..  with the suffix HB...  not a DZ.. block.. but listed as one..  another with no vin... hmm.. decked??? remarked...???

be sure to invest in proper quality rods and pistons.. so you don't end up damaging the DZ block..  

gettnlarge01
Posted: 10/18/10 02:29 PM

+1  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

Budnicks
Posted: 10/23/10 03:05 PM

CarCouple a 327 block & 283 crank easy combo you will have to do some serious work on this combo are you restricted to 302ci" T/A racing rules or something? can you use aluminum heads? are you limited by camshaft? can you use a Roller? do they have to be period correct? are you limited carb. size CFM? a original 302DZ block will be EXPENSIVE compared to any of the other small blocks (other than aluminum)if you are going to buy a DZ block spend the money on a Aluminum block instead if you can run alum. parts buy them the weight savings will be well worth it an iron block with alum. heads would be the most common, if you are limited to Iron heads unless you use aftermarket type like Dart's or someone elses, need porting to acheive those numbers with a small motor, just some ideas. Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before You Fill Your Garage" Good Luck  "Budnicks"

CarCouple
Posted: 10/24/10 10:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback.  I have provided a link to our clubs rules which outlines my limitiations so the aluminum options are out for me.

Here is a link to our clubs rules and what they will allow which if I understand correctly are very similar to the original rules.

http://rmvr.com/rules/rulesc2a.pdf

I do know that I have to stick to original heads available in the day and for our club those have been the double hump heads for chevy.  I also cannot build a stoker motor but internal engine mods are not limited but I am only allowed to bore 1.02mm over and not to exceed a 5.0L.

I am getting ready to pull the engine this next week to see what kind of damage I have internal from the crank breaking on my current engine.  I would love to have some specs/parts suggestions to start with on the rebuild.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide!  

Budnicks
Posted: 10/25/10 03:20 PM

CarCouple How did you break the last engine or why did it break,I read those rules I would say if you are running in the T/A A/S-3 class 68-72 buy the World Products S/R street replacement Heads use the largest valve that will fit atleast 2.02"int./1.6"ex. port the hell out of them & gasget match, use a good electric fuel pump (Aeromotive or Barry Grant type Quality)& bypass style regulator, a quality oil pan & dry sump oil system & belt driven w/vacumn pump, use a quality ignition system & alternator w/good gilmer or serpintine drive belts & relays on all electronics to keep you battery up (will help your ign. & battery stay at full potenial), engine NO LARGER than 305ci/5 ltr., intake use a ported & matched manifold that matchs your peak torque range with a 1"-2" 4 hole tappered spacer, I didn't see any carb restrictions get a Nascar style Holley HP w/anular discharge boosters & down leg style squirters & overflow tubes prob. 700cfm-750cfm for good throttle responce a K/N Xtreem air cleaner, largest fuel lines (Like #10 A/N & #8 A/N return) as you can get to cary free flowing 7psi constant to the carb, good quality headers (Stall) 1 5/8" min. dia.long tube 35" 3.5" collectors if muflers are req. use Flowmasters, Use a quality forged/billet 360 deg. marked harmonic dapner, 4340 Balanced & blueprinted forged steel rods/crank w/quality cap screws(Scat or Eagle)are fairly reasnably priced decent quality, Venolia, Ross or Wiseco type forged aluminum pistons 13:1 compression(or as much as the clyinder heads can handle) gas ported pistons to get good ring seal, use Perfict Circle/Child & Albert type Quality zero gap style top rings, Clevite tri-metal bearings, solid copper head/exhaust gasgets, camshaft needs to be matched to your peak torque at main opperating range what is your typical rpm range (HP sells engines, Torque wins races) you need to contact a quality camshaft manufacturer Comp. Cams is verry good, deffently use full roller cam & valve train spend the extra money on Titainium parts, a good double roller adj. timing set, quality gasgets, large 4 core cross flow Alum. rad., electric w/pump drive & elect. fans 4500cfm min., Your block will be verry important use studs on top & bottom end use billet steel main caps, Use a quality machine shop that builds RACING ENGINES not just the local guy (engine is the heart of your car) use Torko synt. oil or Equiv. moey well spent (this is the blood of the engine), use a Quality balanced flywheel/clutch combo dual plate if you can, use the largest sway bars you can frt/rear, use quailty shocks Koni's or equiv., use the best brake you can afford, use quality guages & this would be a good start & could last a long time if properly maintained, Budnicks  

gettnlarge01
Posted: 10/27/10 12:16 PM

check out jonescam.com for the cam. If you use the gas ported pistons buy the pistons with  radial gasports  

Budnicks
Posted: 10/29/10 05:42 PM

Yes the Large1 is correct use the radial gasported pistons I was just generalizing, I am not familure with Jones cams I will chack them out,   Cool  Budnicks  

gettnlarge01
Posted: 11/15/10 02:48 PM

+1  

3836bbl
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/22/10 11:13 PM

What is the +1 I see everywhere one these sites? Is it just for posts #'s? Or is it to keep the post going?  LOL Ha Ha Ha    Grin  Cool  Laugh  3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before Your Fill Your Garage"  3836bbl alias Budnicks

redneckjoe69
Posted: 11/23/10 06:59 AM

kinda means, i agree.  

3836bbl
V-6 Camaros rule!
Posted: 11/24/10 03:35 PM

Thanks redneckjoe69 I thought it was just to see who could get the most post competition.  Grin  Laugh  Cool  3836bbl/Budnicks  
"Fill Your Library Before Your Fill Your Garage"  3836bbl alias Budnicks

gettnlarge01
Posted: 11/24/10 03:58 PM

+1,,lol  

CarCouple
Posted: 11/24/10 04:14 PM

Great info and I REALLY appreciate the feedback.  To answer the question on what happened.  It appears after getting the old motor out and apart that the crank had used double shims/bearings and the front bearing slipped over the oiler hole which cooked the crank to where it broke.  So that is why I am looking at using a 327 block and a small journal 283 crank so we won't have to double shim it this time eliminating that potential problem.  
Being new to the engine building I have been online looking for a Scat or Eagle 283 crank but it appears that it would need to be custom built since I am not finding any online to order.  Is that correct or do you know where I might be able to find them to order online?  I am trying to take it a step at a time so any details related to this part would be appreciated, like ordering info specs to look for or possibly a part number for a crank...  

CarCouple
Posted: 11/24/10 04:23 PM

Is it a good idea to cross drill this two bolt main?  From what I have read it appears that would be a good idea.  Also using a small journal compared to a large journal appears to be the route to go with this as well?  

12 Last
TO TOP