Item Posts    Sort Order

40th Anniversary of the Monte Carlo

70mcarlo
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 06/09/10 07:52 PM

Having started a similar thread awhile back, I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posters who so eloquently stated why the Monte Carlo deserves some recognition in this, its 40th anniversary year.

I have been a continuous subscriber for fifteen years, and bought the magazine off the newsstands in the twenty-plus years before that.  In a way, I feel that I have been subsidizing the Chevelle/Camaro/Nova types all these years, as Super Chevy has certainly not been balanced in its coverage, nor have I been rewarded with more than a few articles about my favorite Chevys, the first generation 70-72 Monte Carlos.  Besides the extensive coverage of the Chevelle/Camaro/Nova already in the magazine, Super Chevy regularly publishes (or has published) separate magazines entirely devoted to those models.  In no way am I denigrating those cars, as after all I am a Chevy “guy,” but c’mon, how about creating space for other models within your pages.

It is unfortunately very telling that the first generation Monte Carlo has never been featured in a stand-alone cover.  Think about that - the 70-72 Monte has never had the cover to itself - amazing.  The very few times when it has appeared on the cover it was either in a tiny inset photo or as part of a multi-model photo “collage.”  Feature cars are so unusually rare it must be intentional.  But why?  Not “Super” enough a Chevy?  I would argue it is one of the most “super” Chevys of all time given its racing pedigree in NASCAR, local short tracks, etc.

In fact, very few Montes of any generation appear within your pages.  I just do not understand your continually ignoring such a long-running member of the Chevrolet lineup.  An issue devoted to the Monte Carlo in this milestone 40th anniversary year might sell surprisingly well – in part because (sadly) it has never been done before.

Pontiac magazines have no problem regularly featuring the similar 69-72 Grand Prix, a Monte Carlo competitor, and yet a car with lower annual production numbers than the 70-72 Montes.  So what’s the problem, Super Chevy?

A final thought:  Perhaps more Monte drivers would contribute to this forum if Super Chevy actually had something to offer them.  

KISMYMCSS
Posted: 07/02/10 03:20 PM

I too am a Monte Carlo fan. I have owned every generation except the third. I curently own a modified 86' SS. I am a member of the National Monte Carlo Owners Assocation. We just had our 25th. National show in Richmond Indiana and the only coverage we got was from the local news paper, SAD very SAD. There were over 130 fine examples of Monte Carlos there from every generation. At the same time the GM Nationals in Carlisle, there were about 70-75 there. There are some fine examples out there that could be featured in Super Chevy. Come on Guys....
Here are some links to some good sites that are Monte Oriented:
http://www.firstgenerationmontecarlo.com/
http://www.montecarloclub.com/
http://www.montecarloclub.com/

If you can't find one there to put in a magazine you have problems.  

chev1
Posted: 07/23/10 10:04 PM

I went to my mag room and looked all my super chevys and found 26 featured from 1975 to 2010 and Dougs 70 made color print 2 times and the years 1st 2nd 4th. and with Doug marion 1970 sc started to a 71 and 86 or 87 and NO more very sad.and wait happened Bill Reeds 71 and 8-second monte 1988 just to cool.more monte carlos or built up and restored with out being in magazines.but magazines can and brake.just like race on sunday and sale on monday if magazines show monte carlos more wood be looked at like all the chevys being seen.in the mags  

chev1
Posted: 02/27/11 12:43 AM

Jim thank you for the monte carlo ss I hope super chevy keeps it upI love all chevys I think 3 chevys came with 2 doors the corvette.camaro and monte carlo.to cool.Thank you Kim Daniels p.s more on the 87 ss  

TO TOP