12 Last
Item Posts    Sort Order

40th Anniversary of the Monte Carlo

Monteman1971
I love my Chevy Chevette!
Posted: 05/29/10 07:18 PM

Just got my July issue of Super Chevy...Celebrating 40 years of greatness of the Chevelle????

I know some don't consider the Monte Carlo a true Muscle Car...but really...it's 90% Chevelle...you should know that....With the exception of the frame horns being a few inches longer and the outside sheet metal....it's maybe a few hundred pounds heavier than a Chevelle. It's certainly lighter than a lot of other cars we consider Muscle Cars. You could weld Chevelle quarter panels on a Monte and transfer the body right onto a Chevelle frame.....where do you think the modified Monte's into convertibles come from? A Chevelle donor.....

Which brings me to the fact that it actually is the 40th anniversary of the Monte Carlo...but yet no article about that?

I'm a 25 year subscriber to Super Chevy magazine and this disappoints me.

Say you don't know of any "Muscle Car" Monte's for your magazine. Check my website www.monteman.com I currently have a 1971 Monte Carlo SS454 (numbers matching, all metal that weighs 3900lbs and run's the 1/4 in the high 11's), my prior restoration, a factory 1971 402 4 speed Monte as well as a modified 1971 427 Monte (Super Chevy editors choice award at Maple Grove 2003). All of which the current owners would love to make available to you.

So please show a little love here for a Chevy that we should be celebrating it's 40th anniversary.

Thanks,
Steve  

black07ss
Posted: 05/29/10 07:54 PM

The Monte Carlo is a much nicer looking car that a Chevelle. It uses the same drive trane as the Chevelle. Goes as fast a Chevelle. It also handles as good as a Chevelle. The Monte Carlo was never offered as a sedan so it can't be considered a granny car but you seem to lack the knowledge of the true muscle car coupe that has lasted longer in production than the Chevelle. How many Chevelles have won the Daytona or Indy race compared to the Monte Carlo??  

crazydavey
Posted: 05/29/10 08:16 PM

Why single out one year of Chevelle?  All the years have their importance and several years innovated something.  Not taking away anything from the '70, it's certainly popular but almost too much so.  

As said above the Gen I Monte Carlo was/is a great car too.  Born from the Chevelle and infulenced by the Grand Prix it can be a formatable muscle car and was only and forever a 2 door hardtop!!  It would be great to see that car get some much deserved love with a spread and some examples of what can be done with one.  My wife has a factory 454 Monte and it is every bit a performance car.

While I'm on this do you think you could possibly do some features that don't include 20" wheels and going around cones in a parking lot?  Not all your readers are 20.....  

pocobill
Posted: 05/29/10 08:31 PM

I guess with 7 months left in this year i guess there still is time to have it included. My 7t1 is only a small block but still barks the tires like a pound dog.
American muscle to me is a V8, 400 smiles to the gallon and the smell or fried rubber....
my 2 cents which equals 4 cents Canadian..

Bill Smile  Grin  Cool  

2010LTZ
Posted: 05/29/10 09:01 PM

Come on Super Chevy, the Monte Carlo has it's 40th anniversay this year also.  How about an article on it??  It's just as good as the 70 Chevelle, in fact it's mostly Chevelle anyway.  You've got seven months to work up something about the Knight.  

MC-71
Posted: 05/29/10 09:28 PM

I say shame on Super Chevy. Do you folks realize that the only time you had a First Generation Monte Carlo. By the way that is 1970,71,72. On the cover of Super Chevy Mag. was Sept 1987. 1987, thats almost 25 Years. Thats the same picture in this months issue. Owned by Doug Marion. Come now you can do better then that. There are a lot of great Monte's in this real world. I know you get to see them at your shows.My 2 cents.

Thanks,
Carl  

SS4FIFTY4
Posted: 05/31/10 01:34 AM

I've got nothing against celebrating the 40th anniversary of the '70 Chevelle, but when you consider that 2010 is also the 40th anniversary of the '70 Monte Carlo (the first year of a very significant Chevrolet model) it, too, should get special treatment in an upcoming issue this year!

The early, A-Body Monte Carlos (first generation; 1970-72) are essentially Chevelle 2-doors with their front wheels pulled 4" farther forward (116" WB for Monte Carlo vs. 112" WB for the '68-'72 Chevelle 2-door) and a hood and fenders that are 8" longer.  This gives them true long hood/short deck ponycar proportions; kind of a "mid-size Mustang", if you will.  Sorry for the Ford reference here, but it just kind of rolls off the tongue better than saying "mid-size Camaro".  They've been referred to by the automotive press as "styling gems", "perfectly proportioned", and "the best-looking Chevrolet ever slapped together".  That last quote was by the legendary Mechanix Illustrated automotive journalist, Tom McCahill.  If you don't know who he was, then I've got a homework assignment for you! (0-60, anyone?)  

The engine remained in the same proximity to the firewall as it was in a Chevelle, however, so a Monte Carlo actually has better weight distribution than a Chevelle - which is why they are credited for being "The car that got Chevy back into NASCAR racing".  The special "aero" cars such as the Dodge Charger Daytona, Ford Torino Talladega, Mercury Cyclone Spoiler, and Plymouth Road Runner Superbird may have had the edge in aerodynamics, but Monte Carlos cleaned up on shorter tracks.  In their stock form, vintage muscle cars aren't known for their great handling, but with the engine centered behind the front wheels, Monte Carlos have got to be among the better-handling ones ever made.  You can't argue with physics.  No wonder magazine tests from back in the day called the SS454 version (with its heavy duty suspension that included a thicker-than-standard front and rear anti-sway bar) a true GT car.  When the Monte Carlo was first introduced in late '69, Motor Trend tested an SS454 and called it an "unqualified success".

I've subscribed to Super Chevy since '96 - with issues purchased at magazine stands prior to that.  Sure, once in a while a Monte Carlo might make it into the "Bowtie Keepers" section, or be listed as having won an award at a Super Chevy show, but I believe I've only seen three feature-article first gen Monte Carlos in the magazine in nearly 20 years!  This is a crying shame.  The magazine is called Super Chevy - not Super Camaro, Super Chevelle or Super Tri-Five.  By comparison, I think there have been three Monte Carlos ('71 402/4-speed, '71 SS454 and an '80s SS) in Hemmings Muscle Machines within just the last few years alone - and the Hemmings publication is one that features all brands of American muscle, not just Chevrolets!

Many owners and admirers of the Monte Carlo support Super Chevy.  It's high time that Super Chevy supports the Monte Carlo in return.

Thank you,
Dave  

idrivejunk
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/31/10 06:04 AM

Would any of you first posters like some cheese? The limited coverage Monte Carlos get is proportional to their popularity, as evidenced by production numbers. I am sure the publishers have appropriate respect for the mighty first gen MC SS.  
idrivejunk

bobsmc
Posted: 05/31/10 06:43 AM

chevelles are everywhere!not a big deal when i see one.no offense to the chevelle owners but the first gen monte has alot more style and shape than a 70-72 chevelle.
the quarters on a chevelle look like the designers fell asleep and when they woke up their deadline had passed so they said this will have to do.montes have flowing lines and some character.this being the 40th anniversary i hope you get your act together and wake up before your deadline has passed!give them the attention they deserve!

sincery,
bob [owner of three first gens]  

Monteman1971
Posted: 05/31/10 03:01 PM

The production numbers really don't support your claim "idrivejunk", as the Monte not being a popular car. The first year out the Monte had 146k units, 1971 saw 113k and 1972 had 181k. Now these numbers may not compare to the Malibu's numbers which are about double those but the Chevelle only had 24k in 1970, 36k in 1971 and 49k 1972. And the Monte's numbers do compare with many other models.

But that's really not the point here. As a Chevy magazine, Super Chevy should recognize this milestone is all we're looking for. In fact "GM Carlisle" in June will be highlighting the anniversary.

Your more than welcome to visit the First Generation Monte Carlo Club website, www.fgmcc.com and see that we are a viable group and an important part of Chevrolet's history.

We all have multiple posts there if your curious Smile  

idrivejunk
My first time was in a Chevy
Posted: 05/31/10 03:47 PM

My point was that one might bash the magazine a little less, if he wants them to listen. "May I please have mine?" is better than "Gimmie mine, he got his!", for example.

An article would be a good idea. Smile And I own a '69 Grand Prix.  
idrivejunk

Monteman1971
Posted: 05/31/10 06:18 PM

I went back and re-read my original post, I really don't think I "bashed" anyone. All I said was that I was disappointed. As I have seen many in the past, I didn't stamp my feet and say how I would cancel my subscription after 25 years (because I have no intentions of that) or cry about the lack of coverage on the Monte's. All I stated was that with a 40th anniversary of a Chevrolet and this being a "Chevy" magazine that I would have thought there would be coverage of that rather than a celebration of a mid production car.

I use to get a lot of different automotive magazines, I currently only get 2 and Super Chevy is one of them. I can appreciate all the hard work that must go into making a magazine but no one is perfect and everyone can use a little information now and then about what their readers think.  

modelamonte
Posted: 05/31/10 06:40 PM

Our intent was not to bash the Chevelle, it was more to try to bring the SC people around and ask for some equal time.  To be honest I would say that since the Chevelle was really born of the Malibu and was an extension of the Malibu line would this really be the 40th anniversary of the Chevelle.

Our point now and has been our stance for 10 years now that SC does not give the Monte Carlo the attention it deservs.  We raised a stink a number of years ago and they started featurning a first generation Monte owned by someone on their staff, going through a suspension overhaul but not much since then.

It is true that many don't consider the Monte Carlo a "True" Muscle Car but we have many reasons, with some of them already expressed, as to why the Monte Carlo is just as much a Muscle Car as the Chevelle and in some cases it is more of a Mucslc Car.

Monte Carlo was never available in a 4 door model.  Chevelle was.
Monte SS was only available with a 454 engine but a Chevelle SS was available in a 6-Cyl http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307180
First Gen Monte Carlo's were not available in anything smaller than a 350 V8
Monte Carlo's were NEVER available as a station wagon.

There are many other reasons that compared to the Chevelle we feel the Monte Carlo deserves to be thought of as a Muscle Car.  As mentioned by another post above, the Monte Carlo was a favorite of NASCAR drivers for many years due to the excellent handling.

Again, our intent was not to bash Chevelle's as it is to offer up comparisons and an explination on why the Monte Carlo doesn't get more exposure from SC staff.  Our club will be having it's Eastern Meet in two weeks in Ohio and will have over 35 First Generation Monte Carlo's on display and we invite the SC people to stop by and see if they could find at least one or two of these fantastic cars they would like to feature on their cover with a nice write up inside of a true Muscle Car.

Rob Peters
Vice President First Generation Monte Carlo Club  

Dans70Z20
Posted: 06/01/10 06:27 AM

I think the intent of this thread is valid.  I to am a long time subscriber to Super Chevy and understand mistakes can be made.

There have been many good points made thus far.  I do not feel it necessary to repeat what others have already shared.  I just want to share in my disappointment.  I to.... own a 70 Monte SS454 that is currently being restored by this threads originator.  If past experience dictates future results it too will be a multiple show winner.  I would hate to see it not get the attention it deserves.  I attend Super Chevy Maple Grove, PA every year and I hope to see you guys with car in 2011!

Excuse my ignorance here.  But haven't Chevelles existed since 1964?  What relevance does this year have for the Chevelle?  None.  First year 1964, First SS - 1964, First Big Block - 1965 hmmmmmm still thinkin'.......Oh yeah! The first Chevelle with stripes!  That must be what they are celebrating.  LOL

Someone must have said "we need an article".  What can we do a 40th anniversary article on?  The love for the 70 Chevelle ..... that's all they could come up with?  Priceless.

Seriously,  This year is the 40th Anniversary of the Monte Carlo.  That is why the GM Nationals in Carlisle, PA are celebrating it as such and giving the Monte Carlo the recognition it deserves.  1970 being the first year of the ever successful run of automobiles named "Monte Carlo" is indeed significant.  It has proved to be one of GM's most successful models's to date and stood the test of time until very recently.

Please SC.  All we are asking for is the celebration of the "correct" 40th Anniversary for General Motors.  Thank You  

Jims.72
Posted: 06/09/10 03:36 PM

Think the higher ups are getting the hint yet? My wife has never said to me, it's our 10 year anniversary, but lets celebrate our 8 year anny anyway..lol
Do a 50 year Chevelle party in 2014, but a mid-year thing is kinda off the mark in my opinion. Yes, I do own a Monte so I may be a lil biased.  

12 Last
TO TOP